Tire Selection?

I LOVE my Pilot Powers, however, been thinking about trying the new PP 2CTs.... not sure what to do yet
all_coholic.gif

heck i like the stock tire on the busa . got 4k out of it and didnot have a chicken strip on it. put a BT020 a stock st1300 and have less then 1/4 strip left to get of.dragging the TOE alot but NOT the knee yet..wish i could

The stock BT 56 SUCKS! 2500 miles and it was DONE. Crappy feedback and no grip. Just an all around crappy tire.

I loved my PP's. I got 5500 miles out of them and they gripped well on the twisties. They would occasionally "push" the front end in the corners and I could spin up the rear coming hard out of a corner. But then again, I ride HARD and usually run in the front of the pack through the corners with the 600's and liter bikes.

I'm currently running Pirelli Diablo SC in the super soft compound. The DOT race tires... I got a smokin deal on them as a take off after only a couple sessions on the track. They had 80% tread on them and I paid $60
wow.gif

I just took a 1,000 mile trip on them through TWISTY backroad country. These things GRIP GRIP GRIP!!!! They also throw crap at anyone riding behind you
laugh.gif

I also noticed they FEEL alot more planted when leaned over and a knee down! The 190/55 has a bigger contact patch and you can feel the bike is glued to the pavement in the corners. Tire life sucks, but the grip is unreal. What else would you expect from a SC-1 compound?

Next tire is going to be a PP 2CT in 190/55. Hopefully it will be a good compromise in tire life and corner grip.

I love my Metz M3 tires. I only saw 1 person suggesting them and noticed WWJD needed to "burn" thru them. What's the deal, is this not a liked tire by anybody else?

(Learjett @ Jun. 13 2007,23:10) I LOVE my Pilot Powers, however, been thinking about trying the new PP 2CTs.... not sure what to do yet
all_coholic.gif
The only quirk I've experienced as a hard rider is that when the tire gets worn it tends to get slippery in the center.

This is the kind of thing that makes this board what it is...much appreciation to you guys!!!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

I really like the Qualifiers, I wasn't impressed with the Pilot Powers the cupped center is great in the twisties, but sucks for the normal commute and really sucks for wheelies.

(dadofthree @ Jun. 13 2007,11
super.gif
) The Shinkos aren't Z rated but W rated. Adrenaline is my thing not risk. I just ordered a Michelin PP 2CT For a buddy that's been running Shinkos. He says that if he can get 3500 out of it, it will be cheaper than the cheap shinko. I understand and have seen it at the track. The Shinkos seem to be the drag strip tire.
Just to be sure no one misunderstands,  W rating is a good thing.  W>Z. Most Z rated performance tires we buy for our busas are actually W rated.  The W doesn't get much exposure because it doesn't sound as cool, or have as much hype, as the Z.  AFIK, the W rating is the highest rating currently available to us.

Karl

Just my .02 but I liked the BT56's I always got the "J" model and thought it was a good all around tire usually 4-5K out of a tire. Tried the Avon's they where horrible seemed to stick OK but not real well for 25K I got and canvass was showing. I think it hit th wear bar in a month. Now PP and we will have to see about wear the handling is much better than the others. I feel more confident about leaning the Busa over. some of you know I complained in other posts about the fact it was as light as my GSXR1100 but felt heavier turning and leaning. These tires seem to help you lean it over quicker.

I give my M3's an 8 out of 10. They are nice, but don't feel like anything special... just really really good. I pick the Diablos* for street stick because I have felt them cling on everything. To me, the wear of the M3's is no different than any other tire I've ridden, so I might as well get the stickiest [to me] and be done with it. I would love to try the Qualifiers, but I just don't think I can mental bring myself back to Dunlop - even if it's a great tire. All teh squids out here buy Dunlop so they can spin, stunt, etc. That's my personal problem - I REALLY should lighten up on that cuz I've seen nothing but glowing reviews of the Q's

I think if people worry about tread wear life, they got the wrong bike
smile.gif

*and I have never seen ANY information proving that Metzler and Pirelli use the exact same rubber compound. they feel different to me, so I will assume they are different until someone finds the hidden truth

i've run the PP, Diablo's, and the qualifiers, so far i like the Dunlop best. Also ran the stock ones for a short time. H8'd them. Diablo's i liked, PPs seemed to get squirly on the Hot Florida roads (heard it was because the sidewalls were very thin. But so far i'm happiest with the Qualifiers.

Lots of good info here. I've noticed the stock tires are kinda unstable in a deep lean w/ my fat ass on the bike. I'm hesitant to go further because the bike feels like it begins to slightly wobble... so I back off.

Info: 260lbs, stock suspension (for now) and has been tweaked according to Jinkster's thread.

Colorado. 90+ during the day, will hit 40s in early morning (5am).

Moderate twisties on the way to work, but quite a bit of straight line and gentle curved roads for commuting.

I plan to go to a hand full of track days this year for experience and tips. Won't go every weekend though.

Any suggestions? I'd like to eventually disintegrate the chicken strips!

(00Negative @ Jun. 17 2007,21:59) it begins to slightly wobble... so I back off.

Info:  260lbs, stock suspension (for now) and has been tweaked according to Jinkster's thread.
That should say it all right there. You'll need to get new springs for the front! Your weight is too much for the wimpy stock springs on the front end... the bike will want to "push" in the corners, and you will feel it wallow with any variance in the road in the corners.
I am doubting that its the tires that make it feel like its wobbling or drifting around. Suspension is most likely your biggest problem.

Any of the top end tires will be more than adequate for most of us.

Sweet! Thanx!

I was checking out a certain website for front springs after reading somebody's thread about them (wasn't Jinkster's this time) that actually had a calculator for weight of rider and advised on which spring to get. I didn't put it in my favorites I guess... cause now I can't find it.

I'll go ahead and order these ASAP than... soon as I can find that website again.

Back