Chin guard or???

groran1000

Donating Member
Registered
Have an Arai RXQ and my chin spoiler got lost or broke. The helmet is 11 years old and Arai USA won't sell the chin spoiler to me or repair it. I'm trying to stop bugs coming from coming up in the chin area in my face. I have this item that you can push-fit in front for wintertime to stop air from coming in but will be too hot in summer. Any suggestions? thanks, guys

I think your helmet should be on display in your man cave ,at 11years
i am sure it is no longer safe for you to be using.

Tell me why an 11-year-old arai is no longer safe? I've read that but can't understand that. Is the fiberglass no longer good? Does it rot like an egg? All my innards are new. The strap could choke a bear if you could get to it LOL. Just curious from a user, not a selling standpoint. But you can stick to my question PLEASE, thanks

Tell me why an 11-year-old arai is no longer safe? I've read that but can't understand that. Is the fiberglass no longer good? Does it rot like an egg? All my innards are new. The strap could choke a bear if you could get to it LOL. Just curious from a user, not a selling standpoint. But you can stick to my question PLEASE, thanks

Its not the cushy padding that you feel around your head it’s the padding between the shell and that cushy stuff you feel when you put it on.

The styrofoam?
Yes, and the age is why Arai won't repair it or sell parts for it.
According to helmet manufactures this material degrades with age, and cannot absorb impact as well as it previously could.
Buying a new helmet solves your initial problem/question too...allowing you to buy a helmet with the exact features that you are looking for.

When I was teaching riding courses, helmets had to have a production date of 7 yrs or less or they couldn't be used.

The stuff they make the shell of the helmet out of continues to cure and get harder and more subject to cracking. Also the bubbles in the styrofoam pad off gasses and no longer offer the same protection. I dropped my old Shoei RF1200 and it shattered like an eggshell! I had no idea the helmet shell was that crispy. It was only 7 years old but if I had taken a serious hit on the head with that I would have been seriously hurting...

The human body does (specifically its secretions) nasty things to the Polyurethane foam and Polystyrene (Styrofoam) inner shell over time! Also foams naturally experience a marginal loss of resiliency over time due to volatility, something along the lines of hysteresis loss in a spring.

The human body does (specifically its secretions) nasty things to the Polyurethane foam and Polystyrene (Styrofoam) inner shell over time! Also foams naturally experience a marginal loss of resiliency over time due to volatility, something along the lines of hysteresis loss in a spring.

If you crash and you don't hit your head too hard, you might be able to keep wearing that old helmet.

Any helmet is much better than no helmet. I crashed wearing an 11 year old Shoei. Aside from getting knocked out, it doesn't seem as though I sustained any brain injury. Good to know there's evidence helmets are overbuilt but I'd ere on the safe side and replace an old helmet...just in case.

A new chin curtain could bee a lifesaver too. I had a bee and a wasp get sucked in my chin curtainless helmet on separate occasions. Fortunately, they each got sucked back out when I opened the face shield.

Back