Anyone got any comments on Scorpion Helmets?

Is sounds like Scorpion has listened to they're customers negative comments. The next-gen unit (EXO-1000) is lightweight Aramid/Carbon with an inflatable bladder for fine fit/adjustment. Internal flip-up sun glasses are a great idea.

For the question above I have the 10 not the 15, and it is ok, but wind noise is terrible

I was getting ready to get the Shoei, and read some more reviews on Scorpion and just got that one instead. I am thinking the new Scorpion is going to be bad azz. Seems really nice.

I wouldn't get hung on price as so many people do,,, I like my Scorpion! If it fits, and if does what it is supposed to do, then who can ask for more...most helmets go through serious testing and are rated as well. People say I'm not putting my head in a 200 dollar helmet, and they wouldn't hesitate to jump in  a 700 series BMW which has the worst crash rating of luxury cars...go figure. Do more expensive helmets exceed the ratings? I don't know

Between the wife and I we have 3 Scorpions. Two 700's and a 400. Love em all. The 400 is a souvenir from when she wrecked. The helmet did it's job for sure.

I have a Scorpion. I give it a thumbs up and a
smile.gif

(FAVahalik @ Sep. 16 2007,14:15) Did you mean that you take an XL instead of a large?  You are saying they run a size small.  I would normally be an XL at least, so do they make an XXL?

It sounds like you think they are short from front to back, that is to say that the shield and chin guard are very close to your face.  Am I correct?  If so, it would probably ride down on top of glasses and my chin would rub the front.

The price sounds good.  Is there something else around this price that might fit better in your opinion?
In most helmets I size out as an XL. If I was an XL in a Scorpion it would end up getting big as it broke in. And yes I guess the term short from front to back is a better way to describe it.

That has its aspects that are good and bad. Less buffeting up in the front of the face. But my nose presses right up to the helmet. And if I put on the optional chin guard, I can't get the helmet on and off over my nose.

I do wear sunglasses under the shield and they go on and off with no problem and they actually are held in place pretty good by the closeness of the fit. So I don't think you wearing glasses would pose a problem.

For the money I don't think any other helmets are as good as the Scorp. It certainly is as good as helmets costing LOTS more, but it it isn't (no helmet is) without its shortcomings. I do however think they make more positive changes to improve as they learn from the users. I chose it over a Shark and an Shoei and an Arai because none of them felt hundreds of dollars better to me.

The HJC carbon is worth a look. Its more, but not HUGELY more, and it has the lightweight that certainly makes a difference for me at hour 3 or 4.

Oh also I wish the Scorp had a little better side to side (periphial) view. The face opening seems a little smaller than they could have made it. I find myselrf really turning a lot to check my view. The upside to that is a better cocoon around your head so again there is compromise.

I have the EXO 700 and I like it. I have the fog free shield that darkens in the sunlight and as far as I am concerned it is one of the best helmets I have ever owned. I will be getting the EXO 1000 when it comes out.

I like my EXO 700 better than the rf1000. Mainly because of fitment. the Scorp helmet is longer front to back- my chin touches the front of my Shoei. Scorp helmet isn't the quietest-- good air flow- I just wear earplugs.

(Suijuris @ Sep. 17 2007,09:45) I like my EXO 700 better than the rf1000. Mainly because of fitment. the Scorp helmet is longer front to back- my chin touches the front of my Shoei. Scorp helmet isn't the quietest-- good air flow- I just wear earplugs.
Is the rf100 quieter?

Regarding HJC helmets...the AC-12 CF is a great helmet (Ben Spies races wearing this). Somewhat noisy, very light, good fitment/pads, decent ventilation, easy shield swap.

Fate...i was (and still sorta am) a scorpion exo fan after purchasing my first Scorpion EXO 700 "Fury" at "The Helmet Shop" in Daytona...

EXO1.jpg

Cortech2.jpg

and it had all the goods..(or so i thought)...Removable/Washable liner w/ wick-away liner material that appeared first class...great ventilation and?...(big points here)...a true "FOGPROOF VISOR" that really was in fact...completely freaking fogproof with an awesomely quick and easy visor release system....so naturally?...i loved the lid....especially for $199...and that was all the good...the bad?...

1. Once i got out west to my stomping grounds in no-mans-swampland south/central florida?....and the pace got into the mid triple digits?...it became glarringly apparent that the scorpion may well have been tested in a wind tunnel but it damn sure wasn't "DESIGNED" by one and wind pressures became a serious matter in rapid fashion at anything much above 140....like huge neck straining at 160 and a feeling of...

"I Don't Know How Much Longer I'll Be Able To Take This"
wow.gif

once things ventured even close to 180....and on up.

2. I was at 180+ a lil and in hot pursuit of a couple other busa (way out west again) when i thought i heard the sound of what possibly could've been (and sounded like) a 180+ airborne pebble striking my scorpion exo 700.....as it made a very loud cracking sound inside my lid and i automatically assumed it was cast up offf the rear tire of busa ahead of me...so the following morning i walk into the garage and see that my visor looks a bit out of place at the hinge point and i simply rotated the latch assy and clicked it back into place...and few a few moments and two steps away later?...i heard this crack sound...and it sounded familiar...as i turned and saw that my visor was once again cocked at it's hinge point...on the same side i just fixed..and upon closer inspection?...i found that my dark smoke scorpion visor did in fact crack at the most slender part of it's circular hingepoint...and that's the frightening scenario that made me pick up the phone...call the helmet shop and order this....

shoei1.jpg

shoei2.jpg

shoei4.jpg

That said?...don't get me wrong...i still believe that the scorpion is one he11a bargain but...strictly for those who NEVER plan on hiting mid-high triple digits...me?...X-11 all the way baby...best purchase i've made since buying O-Ren...closely followed by cyclecat rearsets...and i'll never again do mid-high trips unless my noggin is in a PREMIUM GRADE lid.

That's my thoughts and experiences...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Thanks Jinks, May end up with a Shoei too. I ordered the Scorpion. I do not hit excessively high speeds but you know as well as I do, it can happen *cough* on accident sometimes. That scares me a little now. Since you have owned both, how was the resistance at regular speeds and wind noice compared to shoei?

I have the EXO 700 and I love it , compared to my previous gear "A BALL CAP" it is a huge step up.
Don't have tons of cash and find it real tough to spend money on myself for my selfish sport bike habit when I know my family has needs as well.

This is why I selected the EXO-700 :
SAFER THAN A BALL CAP OR HAIR GEL
DOT and SNELL APPROVED
QUICK CHANGE SHIED
PRICE
STYLE
super.gif

Back