Tire Pressure

44 psi front and back - please explain why you guys put in so little? the front starts to wobble big time in curves under 40 psi, its like rolling over eggs

Then you got a problem in your setup somewhere. I'd be looking at steering head bearings, wheel alignment, etc.. I do fast twisties all the time at the pressures I stated above, smooth as silk. I've experimented with tire pressure after reading other threads about it. At any more than 38psi in the front, I can start feeling a definite loss of grip from a general hard and chattery situation over irregularities in the pavement. Might be alright if the pavement was glass smooth, but unfortunately, that's not the case around here. Higher air pressures reduce the size of the contact patch and reduce the suppleness of the tire carcass, maybe great for increasing fuel mileage, but not the way to go for increased grip. At 44 psi, your contact patch is probably the size of a dime, and your tires are practically solid, you'd be azz end over tea kettle off into the trees in the first mile if you tried to go any quicker than the average new Harley rider through the corners on the roads around here.:laugh:

Then you got a problem in your setup somewhere. I'd be looking at steering head bearings, wheel alignment, etc.. I do fast twisties all the time at the pressures I stated above, smooth as silk. I've experimented with tire pressure after reading other threads about it. At any more than 38psi in the front, I can start feeling a definite loss of grip from a general hard and chattery situation over irregularities in the pavement. Might be alright if the pavement was glass smooth, but unfortunately, that's not the case around here. Higher air pressures reduce the size of the contact patch and reduce the suppleness of the tire carcass, maybe great for increasing fuel mileage, but not the way to go for increased grip. At 44 psi, your contact patch is probably the size of a dime, and your tires are practically solid, you'd be azz end over tea kettle off into the trees in the first mile if you tried to go any quicker than the average new Harley rider through the corners on the roads around here.:laugh:

then 3 hayabusas came out wrong from the factory, along with 2 kawas, maybe so,

ok, please try not to be offended,

but in u.s. you have funny speedlimits, so you drag race, isnt that right? but you see, in germany you can keep the throttle open for 20min straight,
and you do NOT know how that is, its that easy, and I highly doubt you know how to drive long highway curves with +150 mph.

and when you drive 180 mph for long time the tire disintegrates, I can be finished with a new back tire in under 600 miles when I want to, just by driving long time autobahn speeds,

and if you drive fast very long even with a car an under inflated tire causes the rubber to overheat and the tire WILL - not can, W I L L burst,
main course of bursting tires is not enough pressure, therefore overheating
and you guys on purpose drive around with a 200hp bike,
you do that here in germany the police takes your driver license

I really do not know what to say,
for drag racing YES, I know that, for more grip, but this is short
but not for driving on public roads

imagine some mercedes with 150mph on highway with low pressure ON PURPOSE for more grip :rofl:, funny you are

its is illegal and outmost dangerous (probably fine for a nice 50mph tour - I woudnt know)

+15 years autobahn, +150.000 miles on bikes
average milage> around 1 mpg :laugh: (god do I tank often)

then 3 hayabusas came out wrong from the factory, along with 2 kawas, maybe so,

ok, please try not to be offended,

but in u.s. you have funny speedlimits, so you drag race, isnt that right? but you see, in germany you can keep the throttle open for 20min straight,
and you do NOT know how that is, its that easy, and I highly doubt you know how to drive long highway curves with +150 mph.

and when you drive 180 mph for long time the tire disintegrates, I can be finished with a new back tire in under 600 miles when I want to, just by driving long time autobahn speeds,

and if you drive fast very long even with a car an under inflated tire causes the rubber to overheat and the tire WILL - not can, W I L L burst,
main course of bursting tires is not enough pressure, therefore overheating
and you guys on purpose drive around with a 200hp bike,
you do that here in germany the police takes your driver license

I really do not know what to say,
for drag racing YES, I know that, for more grip, but this is short
but not for driving on public roads

imagine some mercedes with 150mph on highway with low pressure ON PURPOSE for more grip :rofl:, funny you are

its is illegal and outmost dangerous (probably fine for a nice 50mph tour - I woudnt know)

+15 years autobahn, +150.000 miles on bikes
average milage> around 1 mpg :laugh: (god do I tank often)

Your making a lot of assumptions about me and a lot of others here bud. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over tire pressure, but.. No, I don't drag race. And no I don't go around at 150mph all the time. Fortunately we are blessed with more entertaining roadways than never ending 6 lane straights (well, at least in the part of the country I'm in anyway). Your right, I don't know much of anything about sustained 150mph "corners" (lol, that can't be much of a corner), but from the sounds of it, I doubt you know much about going 80 mph through a 30 mph corner either. What we have is 2 totally different usages, requiring 2 totally different pressure needs. You run around real fast in a mostly straight line all the time, I, and the rest of the folks here reporting low to middle 30psi, are on the side of our tires as much, or more, than the middle. Your setup is as useless for us as ours would be for you.
So there you have it. The reason why the rest of the world doesn't run 44 psi in their tires.

Back