Tire Pressures - what is your preference?

texomawaves

Registered
Greetings Gents, Let's talk tire pressures. The manual calls for 42psi (front and back). I am reading 38psi, both. What are you running and why? City or highway preferences? Chris

Tire pressure regulates three things:

1. Load carrying capacity
2. Tire temperature
3. Contact patch size

With this in mind, other factors come into play. Such as OAT (Outside Air Temperature), how much physical demand the rider puts on the tire, type of tire (Touring/hypersport/Race) and weather conditions. The temperature at which a tire reaches optimum grip and performance varies from tire to tire as well.

So, to answer your question tire pressure is a personal thing that will vary between riders (Especially Street Riders) from 30 to 42 PSI depending on which rider you ask. Generally speaking, lower pressure generates more heat and more grip at the expense of longevity (Mileage) while higher pressures creates less heat, reduced grip and extends mileage.

Pick your poison. Anything between 30 & 42 psi cold will work. Personally, I run around 36 psi cold both ends. Seems to be a happy medium for everything except for the most aggressive riding.

I didn't realize I needed higher pressure. I had been doing 32 psi on my 2CT and they still lasted me 7000 miles. Take that for what it's worth.

I aim for 40 psi now, but with pilot roads, I won't be able to directly compare the results.

Tire pressure will also "slow" down the bikes response. I hear of guys runny 20's on Busas and that must be a mushy mess to turn. I run 30/36 (front rear) for aggressive work on the road. I also monitor pressure and don't let it get past 45 on the rear and 38 on front. On a hot summer day even on straight up interstates it can soar. MY tires only last 3500 miles max (Q3's) but I am a heavy guy.

I ride on aggressive side, and keep my BT016's at around 35-37 during summer, and around 30-32 during winter. I also noticed that with lower pressures the flat spot is not as pronounced. While riding, tire pressure rises by about 10% in both cases due to tires heating up, which I think is the expected increase.

I ride on aggressive side, and keep my BT016's at around 35-37 during summer, and around 30-32 during winter. I also noticed that with lower pressures the flat spot is not as pronounced. While riding, tire pressure rises by about 10% in both cases due to tires heating up, which I think is the expected increase.

Why lower pressure in winter?

When I brought the bike it had the conti attack on it I don't like them much and will change when they are worn out they just seem to mussy to me especially the front anything under 40psi it feels like wet spaghetti so i run the front at 42 psi same as the rear :thumbsup:

What does the manufacturer call for on the tire pressures? That sounds high. Some tires have stiffer construction than others so they work well with lower pressures. Street only tires are usually better with pressures close to recommended as they trade ultimate traction for turning sharpness and longevity. Like anything, there is a point of dimishing return, where the added traction of a big flat spot is eating power and turn-in sharpness. Note also that on the track you are using more lean so you need the tire to deform to the lean. On the road you use less lean so the mushiness during braking and turn-in is a problem (low speed turns). As tuff said it's really personal preference but you need to stay in the safe range recommended by the tire manufacturer.

Used 42 psi for years, then changed to 35 psi a couple of summers ago. I like it; better grip in the corners.

Remember, the pressure on the tire is the MAX pressure.

The pressure the bike recommends is for TWO Passengers.

Neither of these provide the best grip and tire life. Too high and it will run the centers off early and not grip nearly as well.

So, the question really depends on: What do you want your tires to do today? - and adjust accordingly. Having said all that, I run mine (solo riding) at about 36/36 street which seems to be a good blend for what I'm doing (on Q2's). On the track, those would be about 32/32 cold and 31/33 hot...

Jay tells me that Skydivr is not fast enough to worry about tire grip and to cheap to worry about tire life. :dunno:

Jay tells me that Skydivr is not fast enough to worry about tire grip and to cheap to worry about tire life. :dunno:

Bwaaahh!!!! It's not that big an accomplishment to outrun a man as old as your DAD :)

Oh, wait, is this the smacktalk thread?

Usually 34 to 36. If I know I'm about to do 1500 miles on the slab I'll pump them up to 40.

I've tried different pressures, with both Bridgestone S20 and the current Michelin Pilot Road 4, and I find 40/40 works just nicely for me. Mind you, suspension is dialled just right for me and my kind of riding.

I know it's an old post. Tire pressure is subject to the following - brand and model of tire, type of riding, rider weight. I run Q3s 190/55 rear(much, much more grip, way better, quicker, and precise turning. The Dunlop tech guy emailed me 34f 32r for spirited street riding, I weigh 195.

I don't try to rail through the canyons like some of the knuckleheads I ride with so try to keep mine around 36-37 psi for everyday use,got 5300 miles out of my last set of Michelin Power Supersports(rear down to the wear bars,front still a lot left but always replace as a set)which is pretty good for soft/med. compounds.

Back