Tire pressure

BanditKing

Registered
I know the manual says 42psi, but my mechanic says to keep it at about 32-36 for increased traction.

I've been keeping it about 36psi, but tried it at 40psi, and noticed that there was slightly less grip and the ride was noticably little firmer...which got me wondering:

What pressure is everyone else running?

Well?

Depends on the rubber... Conti Force MAX say to run a little high. I keep it at about 40/42 f/r
continentalforcemax-200.gif

regular street: 36
long touring trips: 42
road course race track: 30

My mechanic says the same thing - no lower than 30 psi. The softer tire has more contact patch and will heat up more, making it stickier.
Cougar

I'm thinking about trying 26 - 28 on my next Trackday. Remember that HEATUP causes the PSI to rise 6-8 PSI, so I could end up at 34 when doing laps and that should be perfect. Trade off being sidewall stability at lower PSI but you get used that "wallowy" feeling pretty quick

I've always run 42's, but after reading this, I'm switching to 38, since I commute on back roads all the way to work.
smile.gif

regular street:  36
long touring trips:  42
road course race track:  30
Good rule of thumb!

However, there is a wide variety of tire pressures reccommended by different manufacturers. Most tires will function just fine at any pressure between 25 and 42 psi. A good rule of thumb is the higher the pressure the cooler the tire will run and the longer it will last. Also the higher the pressure the faster your top end speed as well as accelleration as low pressures rob horse power.

On the flip side, the lower the pressure the quicker the tire heats up, more traction due to the additional heat (To a certain point) the hotter the tire runs the shorter the life of the tire, and the story goes on.

Tire pressure should be adjusted to serve the purpose in which you are trying to accomplish. Myself, I usually run lower pressures than the average guy as I'm not into high speed and most of my rides are at 100 mph or less. I spend a great deal of time on the rear tire. If I'm going out to spend the afternoon with the front tire high in the air, I only run 25 psi cold in the rear. I never do high speed at that pressure.

Tire pressure is an individual decision that each rider has to make for himself. If you want good tire life run 42 psi. If you heat your tire well before you lean your busa over, you can drag the plastic with no problem at 42 psi if you have good technique. The down side is, while dragging the plastic with 42 psi the margin of error is more narrow than if you have 30 psi.

For most of us, tire pressure is not a big issue as the average rider never drags his foot pegs much less his plastic so whatever tire pressure you choose, you'll be just fine. If you are a plastic dragging maniac, you won't be asking about tire pressure. You'll already be way past that stage.

I can see the whole, "lower the psi, better the traction". But the odd thing is a year ago when I went with a then fellow colleage for a ride (he has a '00 busa) he had the crappiest time leaning when we went up Ortega HWY in O.C. In fact, I can see him fighting to push down on the bars.. Came to discover at the gas station when we got over the mountain that he hasn't ridden his scooter for awhile and the psi was lower on his tires... put some air in it and he was leaning better.

So he must've fell below the 26 psi? Just curious

42 front and back on pilot road. the last rear got 10000 kms and the front is still good at 12000 kms. Pressure checked when ice cold. these are used at an altitude of 6000 ft. Fast road use. We loose 17% in HP compared to sea level, but the thinner air compensates. On the breakfast run yesterday I got drilled by a quick ZX12. It just seems...not fair when you get passed at over 300kmh !!

Back