Time for a rebuild

Bearded

Registered
Hello everyone!
I have a still new to me 03 turbo. I bought it used about a month ago from an older guy who bought it with the turbo already on it about 10 years ago. He didn't know much about it at all. It is an old RCC with a Garrett TA03. According to him it was tuned for 10 psi putting 270hp. It also has an old aquamist injection system on it that he said he only occasionally put just water in it just to keep it cool and he never knew anything about it being used with meth. I think this is where the damage probably started since it was pry tuned to be ran with the water/meth. But, for the price I paid I figured something like this was going to happen. I got it for 4k. Bike has almost 29k miles.

This brings me to last night. I have been babying it a lot to get used to it since i bought it and was feeling it on my way home so I gave it a 6th gear roll on from 80-XXX on the highway right before I got home. Got home and it was smoking from under the tank with a bad burnt oil smell. Went out and looked at it some more this morning. once it is started the breath under the tank looks like a freight train. when revved smoke also comes from the exhaust. While cranking you can hear where one cyl has low compression but I haven't tested them yet but its quite obvious.

So that leads into the questions. First which manual do you guys recommend for pulling and rebuilding the engine. I will be doing it myself due to funds. I have rebuilt a motor before (a 5.9 Cummins) all by myself including pulling and reinstalling so while I may not be a mechanic I can for sure get it done. If only one piston is damaged how bad of an idea would it be to only hone and replace the bad one? For all I know it still has the stock pistons in it. If I have to change them all would it be worth upgrading to the turbo pistons over stock? How big of a price difference is it to upgrade vs stock? I apologize too because I'm use this has all been covered multiple times i just needed to vent a little bit. Anything else I should consider doing while I have it open to prevent me having to open it anytime in the near future again? I assume i should go ahead and replace all the bearings while I'm in there?

/end rant.. again I apologize I haven't looked up anything yet and I'm a bit frustrated that I need to pull the engine already but it is what it is. I'm trying to get it back on the road asap as it is my DD. thanks in advance for your responses and listening to my rant.

Well it’s now confirmed. One cylinder reads a big fat 0psi. Attached is a pic of the plug for said cyl. I can only assume that what’s on the plug is pieces of a melted piston.

87A2BF61-1BB0-4C16-974B-0BB72169BC5F.jpeg

AAC3F8E5-6E81-4270-B782-750DB249C0F8.jpeg

Without further need to inspect, I'd say the other pistons probably got close to the same meltdown. I don't think I'd trust them. A ring land may have gotten brittle from the heat etc.

As to an upgrade. If you're doing pistons, I think the rods will hold up to a good bit more power. I'm not a memory bank for this but I seem to recall you can squeeze some good power out of stock internals.

Hello everyone!
I have a still new to me 03 turbo. I bought it used about a month ago from an older guy who bought it with the turbo already on it about 10 years ago. He didn't know much about it at all. It is an old RCC with a Garrett TA03. According to him it was tuned for 10 psi putting 270hp. It also has an old aquamist injection system on it that he said he only occasionally put just water in it just to keep it cool and he never knew anything about it being used with meth. I think this is where the damage probably started since it was pry tuned to be ran with the water/meth. But, for the price I paid I figured something like this was going to happen. I got it for 4k. Bike has almost 29k miles.

This brings me to last night. I have been babying it a lot to get used to it since i bought it and was feeling it on my way home so I gave it a 6th gear roll on from 80-XXX on the highway right before I got home. Got home and it was smoking from under the tank with a bad burnt oil smell. Went out and looked at it some more this morning. once it is started the breath under the tank looks like a freight train. when revved smoke also comes from the exhaust. While cranking you can hear where one cyl has low compression but I haven't tested them yet but its quite obvious.

So that leads into the questions. First which manual do you guys recommend for pulling and rebuilding the engine. I will be doing it myself due to funds. I have rebuilt a motor before (a 5.9 Cummins) all by myself including pulling and reinstalling so while I may not be a mechanic I can for sure get it done. If only one piston is damaged how bad of an idea would it be to only hone and replace the bad one? For all I know it still has the stock pistons in it. If I have to change them all would it be worth upgrading to the turbo pistons over stock? How big of a price difference is it to upgrade vs stock? I apologize too because I'm use this has all been covered multiple times i just needed to vent a little bit. Anything else I should consider doing while I have it open to prevent me having to open it anytime in the near future again? I assume i should go ahead and replace all the bearings while I'm in there?

/end rant.. again I apologize I haven't looked up anything yet and I'm a bit frustrated that I need to pull the engine already but it is what it is. I'm trying to get it back on the road asap as it is my DD. thanks in advance for your responses and listening to my rant.
The thing I Stress is Follow the factory manual step by step
paying attention to the notes about Washers face blah way
and rods numbers face this direction STEP BY STEP
and sure you can do it with the help of the board for Non manual stuff, Turbo Ring gap, Deck Height ect

Personal opinion based on parts I’ve bought, bikes I’ve bought, stuff I’ve built and reading this site and youtube-4K still a good deal if u can do the work yourself, even if u spend $1000 on parts making it right, that’s still a turbo Busa for $5k. Can’t beat that. It probably has a spacer plate already just put Some more stock pistons in it and open the ring gaps if u not trying to shoot for the moon with hp.

If the block is scarred it’s probably cheaper to find a used stock block than sending yours out for replating.

Bcp pushed Lucy to close to 500hp on stock everything so it’s not like it’s mandatory to go with turbo pistons and rods for up to like 300hp, just build it and tune it right.

Thanks for everyone’s comments so far. I haven’t made much progress I went ahead and organized my garage and tool box today rn make things much easier. I then pulled the tank off. Found I few interesting things you guys might enjoy or may be able to explain.

The fuel pump seems to have some nice homemade insulation. And I’m guessing the water meth kit wasn’t working in the first place because the highspeed valve that controls it well… isn’t connected. Who knows how long it’s been that way.

There is also someone near me that is selling a set of turbo pistons that he made 10 passes on and then went bigger. Still waiting to see a price but that might be a good option.

I really hope the head and block are fine but we shall see once I dig a bit deeper over the next few days.

And dnyce that’s the way I look at it. Only having paid 4k I don’t have much of a problem having to pull the engine and put some parts in. I was prepared to pay 5k when I went to look at it anyways and once he told me he’d sell it for 4k I’ve been joking since that I’m just waiting for it to blow up. Maybe I cursed it lol.

E9B93898-91DB-4321-B312-E5170E6AB928.jpeg

FC7012CC-14D3-47D0-B738-19CA68C31F1A.jpeg

11169037-47B1-4567-81AA-56D7EEF56E63.jpeg

Let’s see some pics of the turbo setup when u pull the fairings off too, everybody loves pictures lol

@Bearded, take a look at my thread here. A little vaporized piston | Turbo

Looks similar to plugs when I had a melt down. Most likely, the exhaust side of the piston probably lost a ring land, with all that heat.

I still have my bike, don’t ride it as my most recent turbo took a sh!t and I’m not really into it to fix it. It’s got 1363 +2mm JE pistons, a cooper performance machined head with hd springs and a 5 angle valve job, if I remember correctly…. Also, Crower I beam rods with the OG bolts that are good for 400hp, their upgraded bolts are good for 600+ if you swapped them out. Ape cam sprockets, billet output shaft and a bunch of other crap I’m sure I don’t remember. I’m looking to ditch this bike soon. Let me know if you’re interested in it.

I’ve also got a air to water intercooler, you could ditch that aqua mist setup and just be cool all the time!

I’m gonna be posting some other stuff soon. Check it out. Anyone know if we can post eBay links in the classified section? Been so long for me.

Either way if you need any help or have more questions let me know, I’d be happy to help!

@Bearded, take a look at my thread here. A little vaporized piston | Turbo

Looks similar to plugs when I had a melt down. Most likely, the exhaust side of the piston probably lost a ring land, with all that heat.

I still have my bike, don’t ride it as my most recent turbo took a sh!t and I’m not really into it to fix it. It’s got 1363 +2mm JE pistons, a cooper performance machined head with hd springs and a 5 angle valve job, if I remember correctly…. Also, Crower I beam rods with the OG bolts that are good for 400hp, their upgraded bolts are good for 600+ if you swapped them out. Ape cam sprockets, billet output shaft and a bunch of other crap I’m sure I don’t remember. I’m looking to ditch this bike soon. Let me know if you’re interested in it.

I’ve also got a air to water intercooler, you could ditch that aqua mist setup and just be cool all the time!

I’m gonna be posting some other stuff soon. Check it out. Anyone know if we can post eBay links in the classified section? Been so long for me.

Either way if you need any help or have more questions let me know, I’d be happy to help!
This is what our board is about right here!!

Welllll it bad. Piston missing a nice chunk. Block has a big chunk taken out. I need some expert opinions on the head though. It appears it’s just poison material stuck to it. It seems to scrape of with not too much effort. Will I be okay to just pull out the valves and clean everything up or…?

Also, what would be a good price for a used block since mine is well no good? There is one for sale near me for 350? It also comes with stock pistons. Bad idea to just use one of them and put it back together? A guy also has a used set of turbo pistons that he made 10 passes on but he is asking 475 can almost get a new set for that though. The motor also had no spacer in it. Would it be worth it so put one in?

Are these stock injectors? I tried searching the numbers on them but couldn’t find anything. I was thinking it has s2000 injectors because the fuel pressure at idle was set to 30 but now I have no idea.

Anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for a beji fmu? It seems they’re no longer available?

Just random thoughts for now as I just got it apart I’ll post again tomorrow probably with more questions haha

FE945ABC-DE3F-453D-B390-72B32996CB1E.jpeg

E16414AE-E85D-42F4-97E4-7F142705B390.jpeg

2320A6B4-0DEE-44CC-8B3A-E9E7F9336EE5.jpeg

504FFF74-AD9A-43C5-B7F3-3647E3247272.jpeg

C0A82494-37CA-4819-85A3-47060DBB0409.jpeg

7A47039C-8E85-4AF6-A3F4-874C3685A6B7.jpeg

2B7D98DB-1372-4178-A82A-54890F6A48E3.jpeg

D8A9D28A-8D0D-47D8-92B8-38D41D6DFDE1.jpeg

FF86BD82-1B3C-44F9-BEBF-58FC54CC1494.jpeg

5F8DEFB7-8576-46E5-B7AA-CE1C41A649D7.jpeg

EF1DDA6C-8AFE-4040-9215-0769D2BA5952.jpeg

373C00FD-4D6D-440F-9A0A-770F161D694A.jpeg