Help With Turbo Engine Rebuild

clu1967

Registered
Looking for some advice. I have attempted to turbo my stock '07 Busa. I took the cheap route and am now paying for it. Bike overheated many times and I came to the conclusion that I had blown a head gasket. Motor is torn apart now and pistions and valves are bad. I have ordered the JE piston kit, 83mm with a 9.5:1 ratio and H Beam Carrillo rods from Orient Express. I also and replacling the cylinder stud and nuts with the APE version from Orient also. Valves are being replaced also with OEM. What else should I do to make sure I don't fully destroy my engine? The turbo was the, OMG F.A.S.T. 250. I have seen the blogs, but it was alittle late for me. Already on the bike. Any constructive advice is appreciated. Thanks to all!!!

I would pm GPW and ask his advice. He has worked on and built turbos, stand up guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

:welcome::welcome:

what part of the country are you in? and who did you order parts from?

really the guy selling parts to you should be your primary help... (you get what you pay for thing)... do not mean to sound harsh but most of these "turbo Guru's" got to make a living and helping guys install other guys parts? does not pay very well.. :)

make sure you offer to compensate if you can not use your parts supplier for good advice (should be free there)

Last edited:
Trying to understand why your valves and pistons should be bad if you just blew a head gasket . . .and with the money you are overpaying with those knuckleheads you should be getting all the advice and guidance you need to build your bike correctly . . .:poke: If I was you, I would cancel everything I ordered, deal with one of the vendors on this site, get better prices, the right parts, and all the help you need:whistle:

Thanks, compenstaion is always a plus and is going to have to be a part of my buil!!! I am not mechanically inclined to do much of the work myself. Most of the parts I have ordered were from Lawton Motorsports in Lawton, OK. I am currently in El Paso, TX and do not know many people out here yet. I am trying to make contact with someone with a dyno and the skills needed to properly tune the beasts. My cylinder is going out to LA Sleeve and there is a machine shop here in El Paso that is working on the head. THe bike itself is at a dealership in Santa Teresa, NM.

not to bother your frame of mind but a dealership? that is scary...

Just have not heard good about many bike dealers guys were happy with...

stainless steel valves man, i've read that the Ti valves don't do well with turbos.

The dealership was scary to me also. I did not know of anyone else in the area. I wish I would have gotten on here way earlier. I figure I will have to pay someone else to do it right. This is my first Busa and I am learning more everyday. The pistons were damaged due to me being stubborn. I ran the bike several times at the track and it heated several times. I actually ran the quarter and blew the cap off of the resevoir just short of the quarter mile mark and scalded myself. Talking about being scared *****! Stubborn and cheap got in the way.

Oh yeah, johnny cheese is down that way for you, forgot about him,(sorry Johnny) very standup guy as well.

The dealership was scary to me also. I did not know of anyone else in the area. I wish I would have gotten on here way earlier. I figure I will have to pay someone else to do it right. This is my first Busa and I am learning more everyday. The pistons were damaged due to me being stubborn. I ran the bike several times at the track and it heated several times. I actually ran the quarter and blew the cap off of the resevoir just short of the quarter mile mark and scalded myself. Talking about being scared *****! Stubborn and cheap got in the way.

cancel all your orders or at least when you get the parts....Take them to Johnny Cheese in Round Rock Texas. Have him build your engine, rework your turbo system or better yet buy a new RCC stage 1 kit. He has built and tuned enough turbo equipped bike to get you out the door safely and so you ride and enjoy your bike. You also need to prepare a list of questions on how to operate the bike, check the gauges ect....Just judging by what you said about you running down the track with the bike overheated and burning yourself. Just look at the temp gauge on you dash and don't ride it if its creeping over the half mark....which dual fans will fix

cancel all your orders or at least when you get the parts....Take them to Johnny Cheese in Round Rock Texas. Have him build your engine, rework your turbo system or better yet buy a new RCC stage 1 kit. He has built and tuned enough turbo equipped bike to get you out the door safely and so you ride and enjoy your bike. You also need to prepare a list of questions on how to operate the bike, check the gauges ect....Just judging by what you said about you running down the track with the bike overheated and burning yourself. Just look at the temp gauge on you dash and don't ride it if its creeping over the half mark....which dual fans will fix

FYI - you don't NEED dual fans on any turbo kit to keep it from overheating, although that is a great idea. Yes, turbos do run slightly hotter than a normally aspirated bike, but there are other, minor mods that can and should be done to the cooling system to make things right. Tuning is important as well. The Cheeseman is where you need to be, before you waste any more time and/or money . . .:beerchug:

FYI - you don't NEED dual fans on any turbo kit to keep it from overheating, although that is a great idea. Yes, turbos do run slightly hotter than a normally aspirated bike, but there are other, minor mods that can and should be done to the cooling system to make things right. Tuning is important as well. The Cheeseman is where you need to be, before you waste any more time and/or money . . .:beerchug:

tell me your secrets:laugh:

no secrects.
heck on my Mcxpress I did not even run a fan

I don't see how you guys get away with that in texas. My bike doesn't overheat as long as its 70 or below....anything higher and it will start to creep past the half mark if you stop anywhere. Soon as I put the second fan on it solved all that though

Back