Turbo need a rebuild?

JeffSyh

Registered
So I finally got my waste gate spring and ran the bike up to temp, I ran it before without the charge pipe on and the turbo didn’t seem to leak oil and didn’t smoke. But it was warmer today +3C and I ran it up to temp with the wastegate spring in and charge pipe. It had blueish smoke for the first few minutes then cleared out and seen oil on bottom of turbo. The shaft play is good and has no in and out play. It has no other leaks on the turbo from the feed line or return line. The intake and charge side have no oil. Is it time for a rebuild? It is a used kit.

5748BA22-0EA8-4FE4-BB12-DC4826D6D8F0.jpeg

73B663FF-0C85-4A96-9220-3426F0152BFE.jpeg

9E99CDE5-9590-43BB-9587-3054C3645C9A.jpeg

Did you put a pan heater on your oil pan prior to startup to warm things up? I know a few others have had issues with really cold starts pushing the seal out on the hot side of the turbo when starting cold. +3oC could have done it especially if it was rev'd a bit when cold. They had the exact same leakage as you. The failure is on the hot side seal.

Did you put a pan heater on your oil pan prior to startup to warm things up? I know a few others have had issues with really cold starts pushing the seal out on the hot side of the turbo when starting cold. +3oC could have done it especially if it was rev'd a bit when cold. They had the exact same leakage as you. The failure is on the hot side seal.
I did stick heater to warm the bike up but I bet the oil was still cold, I only revd it once the bike got up to temp and the smoke went away. I was wondering if it’s possible for the fuel to drool a bit due to the fuel being super cool? I know diesels do it and will look like oil due to mixing with soot.

There will carbon for sure, but I doubt you'd have pooling of gasoline, especially after running as it would evaporate. That and having fuel like that in the exhaust, you'd probably have a wicket awesome backfire!!!! lol.

Definitely the seal is gone unfortunately. Cheap fix though! I think it's only $50 for a rebuild kit which you only need the one seal out of, but of course you have to pay for the work, unless you do it yourself.

There will carbon for sure, but I doubt you'd have pooling of gasoline, especially after running as it would evaporate. That and having fuel like that in the exhaust, you'd probably have a wicket awesome backfire!!!! lol.

Definitely the seal is gone unfortunately. Cheap fix though! I think it's only $50 for a rebuild kit which you only need the one seal out of, but of course you have to pay for the work, unless you do it yourself.
Ok, thanks for the help greatly appreciated!

For shits and giggles, Clean all the oil up. Pull the air filter off. Go run the bike. Same issue?
I had a weird issue with too small a filter pulled a vacuum and oil pulled from the seal.

So I rode my mis matched turbo kit for like 5-6 years
then she started to smoke like a pig on the BBQ
Horribly when cold, only on down hills and breaking once warmed

I decided it was reason enough to upgrade to a twin scroll ball bearing GT40
so excited..^&*%$%^$$^$god damn new turbo smoked worse
Ponied up the money for the scavenge pump MAGIC not so much as a puff

Maybe fab and mount a catch can under the drain outlet so directly off the turbo there is a tank with the hose off it to the pan

I have seen a few guys with them and some it helps
and maybe even bump to the next size return line

For shits and giggles, Clean all the oil up. Pull the air filter off. Go run the bike. Same issue?
I had a weird issue with too small a filter pulled a vacuum and oil pulled from the seal.
Wouldn’t that cause oil on the charged side? My charged side is completely dry and I have a brand new filter on it from rcc.

Back