TIME FOR A NEW TOPIC...HOW ABOUT DEATH?

I got one for you. And when its your time to go its your time to go NO matter how safe you try to be.

A fellow Hayabusa drag racer lost his life this weekend in OK. What they think happend is during the race he was affixiated by the fumes from the race fuel. The guy racing him report that at the finish. The guy crossed the center line still accelerating and slumped off the bike. The bike hit the wall. :( It was a good friend of Larry's.

Hows this for a reality check!

Death...Hmm

Well, I have been accused over the years of having a death wish. Not that I do stupid things, but more so because the risky hobbies I have. It was bad enough I rode motorcycles, but when I got my pilots license my mother thought for sure I was trying to kill myself. This of course is not the case. I enjoy the excitement of riding and flying. Should I die doing either, so be it. I will have died a happy man. I have said many times I’d rather go out in a blaze, and give people something to talk about for years than just drop dead, or worse yet, wither away in a hospital or nursing home (which my father did). When I go, please don’t cry over my death, rather celebrate the great times we had!

P.S. Just don't donate my organs to a Harley rider :-)

No offense to either DP or Frank (not that either of you are going to listen to me or that you are really arguing). I have logged onto this site from its inception and I really enjoy it. I own a ZX-11 but the bottom line is I really love almost all bikes (can't figure out the allure of Harleys but to each his or her own) I could care less about the make because I have owned and enjoyed allot of bikes from different manufacturers. I enjoy reading threads like this from DP as much as I enjoy reading Frank's insightful threads on dragging. Even FalconCop has provided some interesting perspectives (albeit they are generally crammed between nonsensical postulation). Part of what makes motorcycling interesting for me is the diverse group of individuals who participate. Yes the sport does attract allot of nit-whits and wackos but I am sure that most who post here have been assessed by others at some point in their life as being certifiable. The bottom line is with the new technologies advancing our sport to the next level it is only a matter of time before the handwringers decide to save us from ourselves. When that happens we will all be glad that the sport is made up of people from every walk of life because if we stick together the handwringers are going to rue the day.

Sniff....snivel...sob....choke.....I need to go to the can and blow my nose now.......

No one knows death. No matter how close a life comes in risk of ending it knows only life. Birth or Conception, depending on your point of view, begins life. Death ends life. I am sorry to hear about the guy on the drag strip, my condolences to his family. I hope we all avoid death until it becomes physically impossible for us to ride our 'busas any more. And then maybe a bit longer.

Too fear death is to be afraid of life. All too often I talk to friends who tell me that I'm crazy (if you've read my posts you'd probably agree). These guys live their lives in fear. I NEED to have fun. If you're not on the edge you're just taking up space.

Afraid of death, no. Do I want to die, no. Will I die, yes. A friend of mine was killed last year, he was standing on the sidewalk. A very minor traffic accident caused a parked car to "bump" into him. He was a great guy who did enjoy life. I guess when it's time to go you never can tell where or when it will be.

Of course some people do tend to speed this process up. This is very unfortunate.

[This message has been edited by maui (edited 16 September 1999).]

Back