Ticking noise and I cant find it... please help

thduke1

Registered
Hey guys, I have a 03 and I am getting a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor. I thought for sure it was the valves out of adjustment since it has 23k miles on it, but they were all in spec. It seems to get louder when the motor gets hot. When I got the bike it had no mufflers on it. It was just an open exhaust. I have lowered it, put a KandN filter on it, a full yoshi 4-2-1 Rs3 system (and I have checked and retightened the header bolts), and a pc3 usb. I have read several posts that people are complaining of a ticking noise but all the ones I have read are when the bike is cold and it goes away at operating temp. Does anyone know what can be causing my tick? Thanks for any feedback

are the emissions stuff still on the bike?if so, i would bet you its the reed valve...

Last edited:
Hmmm.... emissions... I have no idea. I am a new Busa owner. Can you please give me an idea as to what it looks like please

if there are steel lines running between the header pipes, then your emissions stuff is still there .if there are block off plates up at the header mounts its all gone.look up reed valve .my 2002 used to tick with it ,,,,,

I know the steel tubes are still there, I had to work around them to install the exhaust. I will check into that. Rob t... man thanks for your help you are the man:thumbsup:

Could also be the timing chain has stretched beyond the limits of the tensioner or the tensioner needs replacement..

Is there anyway to check and see if the chain or tensioner needs to be replaced? And where are the reeds located at that would make the ticking sound? I cant seem to find it in any treads. thanks again guys for any and all posts

I actually have had a similar situation and just determined the cause, the chain is getting caught on the rear sprocket, looking at the link showed a crack in the bard between the two side links. Took me a while to figure out what it was, I replaced the two piece clutch thinking that was it but as I adjusted the tension it would grab at the same point each time and make a clicking noise, might help. Might not, thought I would share to this old post.

I had a ticking up front. Discovered that a inspection tag hanging by a wire hook that was missed by the dealer.

Hey guys, I have a 03 and I am getting a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor. I thought for sure it was the valves out of adjustment since it has 23k miles on it, but they were all in spec. It seems to get louder when the motor gets hot. When I got the bike it had no mufflers on it. It was just an open exhaust. I have lowered it, put a KandN filter on it, a full yoshi 4-2-1 Rs3 system (and I have checked and retightened the header bolts), and a pc3 usb. I have read several posts that people are complaining of a ticking noise but all the ones I have read are when the bike is cold and it goes away at operating temp. Does anyone know what can be causing my tick? Thanks for any feedback

Busa engines are ticky, but I think your right if the sound is getting louder and more pronounced while coming up to temp - I think you need to continue to look for a cause. Are we sure the ticking isn't coming from the clutch cover area? Probably a good time to invest a few bucks and get a engine stethoscope or do it the old fashioned way and find a wooden handled screw driver and hold it up to your ear and see if you can narrow down where the sound is eminating from...

I've had this exact same issue before. Turned out to be a rubber vacume hose connecting to the Pair valve module. Its directly above your oil filter; referanced as "emissions stuff" stated previously. i.e... steel tubes etc..
Hope this helps.

If it was leaking exhaust, over time it would burn the gasket. My guess is new gaskets would take care of the problem.Cheap fix.
Had this prob on turbo bike,got louder with time and higher heat.. Noise was exhaust leak(warped header).:beerchug: I was not sure either and had the valves checked also.They were in spec also.Peace of mind ,anyway.:beerchug:

Sounds like the timing chain tensioner. Mine is doing this now, and we have identified the problem, now I am just waiting for the tensioner. The little spring in the middle of the tensioner wears out and needs to be replaced as a whole esembly. If your RPM's are raised does it still make the sound? Mine does it at idle, and is louder with the engine is at normal operating temps, but if I ride and the RPM's are raised, then I no longer hear it. Check into that. Also if you have and or when you id the problem, post up what it was and how you fixed it. Hope this sheads some light on your situation.

To be on the safe side I recomend checking your oil pressure. A good number tells you that the crank bearings should be ok. They are the first to go with low oil pressure.

That being said, I had a GSXR1000 that was the most clicking bike ever, but it lasted 103K miles. :)

okay - here my feedback

1st download the manual incl. its extensions ´01, ´02 and the microfiches and read ;-)
from a purely technical point of view, this is completely sufficient for ALL years of Gen1 - meaning '99 - up to '07

then pull the plug of the chain tensioneer and give its internal "plug" a little "soft" push (e.g. with an angled allen key) THAT strong that u can hear one single and very quiet klick. (switch off radio etc. to get the room/area round the busa as quiet as poss.)
that tightens the chain a very lill bit and the ticking should be stopped.

the cams can´t cause a ticking even they have a play of 0.5 or 0.6 mm
cam/valve ticking is at overhead cams nearly impossible .

Last edited:
To be on the safe side I recomend checking your oil pressure. A good number tells you that the crank bearings should be ok. They are the first to go with low oil pressure.

That being said, I had a GSXR1000 that was the most clicking bike ever, but it lasted 103K miles. :)
Haha, you posted a reply to a 12 year old thread, commonly known as … “necroposting”…. We love this stuff !

Back