Valves ticking - Still in tolerant clearance range

The Gribbler

Registered
Hey there this is my first post-

My 2005 Hayabusa just rolled past 16,000 miles and I have been hearing a ticking noise. It started when I was around the 13.5K mile range only after a cold start then would sound fine. Now it ticks even while at operating temperatures. I went ahead pulled the head cover and measured the clearances. The intake side were all within .10mm-.20mm and the exhaust were all within .20mm and .30mm. Most of the valves on both intake and exhaust were generally on the lower side of the range (generally .13-15 int and .20-.25 exh). The temperature was about 45-50 degrees in the garage. My Clymer's manual says that it has to be below like 95 degrees or something but it didnt specify on any low temperature limit so I imagine it is not important.

The issue at hand is the fact that it is ticking even with the valve clearances in spec. I am fairly certain it is coming from the valve train because you can hear it very distinctly if you put your ear up to the air ram ducts near the headlight.

Any advice?

Ride it more. You're averaging about 2000 miles a year. Change the oil and ride it. It needs heat cycles. :banghead:

Ride it more. You're averaging about 2000 miles a year. Change the oil and ride it. It needs heat cycles. :banghead:

I got it with almost 10k miles about a year ago. A little over a third of its total miles went on it this year. The guy before me didnt really ride it much and I cant be certain of the service record. I commute round trip about 25 miles a day (with the exception of the wet/ icy weather of the past month) and went on a few 200 mile trips. I also did some pretty hard riding at a track day, and went to the dragons tail in the summer. I change the oil very regularly if the majority of my miles are just commuting, but if its hard riding like the track day I change it more by like riding hours. Do you think the big difference in use is gonna matter between the old owner and me? Thanks.

Definitely check for an exhaust leak, they can sound very similar.

If this is not the case and all the valves are in check then make sure you put a straight edge on your buckets and verify one is not collapsed or bent in the middle.

Definitely check for an exhaust leak, they can sound very similar.

If this is not the case and all the valves are in check then make sure you put a straight edge on your buckets and verify one is not collapsed or bent in the middle.

Ok. Is it common to have buckets collapse/ bend? I will keep it in mind for when I dig back into it. I buttoned up the bike already, but plan on checking the clearances again in a few oil changes since they were in spec but close to the minimum on a few valves. The ticking can only be heard at cold idle and at any temp between 2200 and 2700 rpm. Provided the sound doesn't change do you think I can just wait a few thousand miles to inspect the buckets? Thanks

I absolutely hate ticking valves. Mine has done it since the show room floor and ever since (very minimal). Dealership said it was normal and could not hear it. :banghead:

I have adjusted the valves many times, swapped heads, timing chains etc and there is always the smallest of ticks there. I have learned to live with it.

When I had the top end redone recently (different dealership) the mechanic mentioned the bucket issue he has seen before. He checked mine and no issue there. Probably not a common occurrence unless someone over shims and snugs it down or over tightens in another way.

Just something to think about if all else fails, but like DO3 said...if it is a minimal tick I would not worry too much about it.

If it clears up after warm up ... what type of oil and weight are you using?

I absolutely hate ticking valves. Mine has done it since the show room floor and ever since (very minimal). Dealership said it was normal and could not hear it. :banghead:

I have adjusted the valves many times, swapped heads, timing chains etc and there is always the smallest of ticks there. I have learned to live with it.

When I had the top end redone recently (different dealership) the mechanic mentioned the bucket issue he has seen before. He checked mine and no issue there. Probably not a common occurrence unless someone over shims and snugs it down or over tightens in another way.

Just something to think about if all else fails, but like DO3 said...if it is a minimal tick I would not worry too much about it.

If it clears up after warm up ... what type of oil and weight are you using?

Thanks for the info. I stick to either Mobile 1 Full synthetic 10W40 or the Suzuki Full Synthetic 10W40. I will keep the bucket issue in my mind as I go through it again later. Its not a loud or unnatural sounding tick.

Also- I saw the thing on your posts about going to the Wilmington mile. I havent been down there because the dates just didnt line up for me last year line up for the ECTA stuff but I plan on doing it this year. I am lucky enough for it to be a little over a half hour from my house. Is it expensive to run at? How many runs do you get each time you go? Thanks again

Then its prolly G2G. It'd be kinda loud and VERY recognizable if you had a floated valve or something.

Change over to Mobil 1 V or the Mobil 1 40 weight MC oil. It should quiet it down a bit.

That's a good point. Some oils are noiser than others. For example, with pure Ester based synthetic oils you can hear the top end of your bike more than you would with the same viscosity dino oill. Did you change oil types or brands recently?

I helped a friend pick up a FZR 600 (something like that, I don't know) and the owner said it had a "Very Slight Tick While Cold". He started it up, and, though I had never heard it before, I KNEW it was a floated valve. I shut down the bike, got it for $2000 less than he was asking (We left with the bike for $1200) because I explained it was a top end rebuild.

That's a good point. Some oils are noiser than others. For example, with pure Ester based synthetic oils you can hear the top end of your bike more than you would with the same viscosity dino oill. Did you change oil types or brands recently?

Actually yes. This is the first change with the Mobile 1. Usually I run the Suzuki FS 10W40. Interesting....

I helped a friend pick up a FZR 600 (something like that, I don't know) and the owner said it had a "Very Slight Tick While Cold". He started it up, and, though I had never heard it before, I KNEW it was a floated valve. I shut down the bike, got it for $2000 less than he was asking (We left with the bike for $1200) because I explained it was a top end rebuild.

Nice. Did you end up redoing the top end?

Back