Ticket for stunt riding?

Sky Rider

Registered
So earlier today I was out enjoying the weather on my Busa. On my way back home I decided to take some of my favorite country roads to uh... wind down a bit. Any way I was hitting some of the turn pretty hard (not exceeding speed limit, in my own lane). Well anyway an officer was sitting on the exit of a nice "chicane" style area and decided to stop me. I will admit my knee puck was getting a little wear on it. After a few minutes I'm on my merry way with a nice little ticket because apparently in Indiana you "can't operate a motorcycle from any position except astride the seat".

I'd be challenging that in court, if I were you. - Did you have a leg over the seat? If so, you were indeed "astride" it. I would be asking the magistrate/judge/whatever to send the cop on remedial motorcycle rider training.

ummm if you weren't sitting "astride the seat" wouldn't that mean you were riding side saddle? ???

astride [əˈstraɪd]
adj (postpositive)
1. with a leg on either side
2. with the legs far apart

now to me even if you were dragging your puck, you would still need both feet on their respective foot peg wouldn't you? Unless that was one wicked chicane in which you were hopping from one side of the bike to the next with both feet on one peg? Which if you were could you please post a video of that. Or am I wrong on the definition of "can't operate a motorcycle from any position except astride the seat?"

I have every intention of fighting it. I just wanted to share with you all because in the 4 1/2 years I've been riding street I've been pulled over for some weird stuff (probably just to make sure I checked out) but never actually ticketed for it. This was one of those moment I had to use every ounce of self control I had to not throw it back and start going off on how idiotic it was. Being able to drag a knee means I actually have some bit of skill at riding unlike the ones who just pull the front wheel up and blaze in a straight line like they're invincible.

Being able to drag a knee means I actually have some bit of skill at riding...

Don't say that in front of the judge. Make no mention of "dragging your knee", just say that you were leaning to one side in order to steer the bike properly through the corner/s, as per the instructions of every motorcycle school in the entire world.

If you have a clean record, point that out. Ditto if you have no accidents. Bring proof of any advanced rider training. If possible, find a book or some reference showing that this type of motorcycle riding is a proper technique for controlling a motorcycle in a turn. Perhaps a member here can help you locate such a publication. Since you were not speeding, you can claim that you were practicing your motorcycle safety riding skills while staying safely within the speed limits.

HHmmm, Kenny Roberts and the duct tape idea done started something here~!~ :laugh:

What "Exactly" does the thicket say? If it simply has a number identifying the infraction, how is it identified by the state?

I predict it will end badly for you.

Partly because there is seldom a need, in everyday routine street-riding, to drag a knee.

But mostly because you received this citation in Indiana. Basically, you're hosed. :whistle:

Still, do keep us appraised of how your court day goes....

Sounds like when I got a ticket for no eye protection here in WI. Me and the wify was getting ready to go on a ride so I rode to the gas station (one block away in our small town of 1300) with out my helmet on. The county cop pulled me over as i approached the gas pump. Said he was getting me for eye protection. I never realized it was a law, just thought it was common sense. I always were a helmet except a few occasion as this in town @ less than 25 MPH but he insisted on not giving me a warning and gave me the 289.00 ticket. I had my sunglass on top of my ball cap but not actually on my face. What an ass he was, but talked to the DA and got it dropped. I will always fight frivolous tickets as such in your case and mine.

Don't say that in front of the judge. Make no mention of "dragging your knee", just say that you were leaning to one side in order to steer the bike properly through the corner/s, as per the instructions of every motorcycle school in the entire world.

:stupid:

ummm if you weren't sitting "astride the seat" wouldn't that mean you were riding side saddle? ???

astride [əˈstraɪd]
adj (postpositive)
1. with a leg on either side
2. with the legs far apart

now to me even if you were dragging your puck, you would still need both feet on their respective foot peg wouldn't you? Unless that was one wicked chicane in which you were hopping from one side of the bike to the next with both feet on one peg? Which if you were could you please post a video of that. Or am I wrong on the definition of "can't operate a motorcycle from any position except astride the seat?"

I agree, You win this one easy

gotta love stupid cops.. this is why i dislike alot of them because they have nothing better to do sometimes

Back