thoughts on mismatched tires?

By the way, I've ran a Shinko out back and numerous different brands up front with no problems. The only thing you might want to look for is to match up the tire profiles. Some tires are really egg shaped while others are more rounded.

If you corner hard don't do it.

Doesn't cost a lot less to dismount the tire and patch it correctly. You can run it to the cords properly patched. I had a plug I vulcanized in my rear tire. I help air all the way to the cords. The rear tire was still running 36 lbs when it rolled into the shop for a new tire.

By the way, I've ran a Shinko out back and numerous different brands up front with no problems. The only thing you might want to look for is to match up the tire profiles. Some tires are really egg shaped while others are more rounded.
This is pretty good advice (as is a lot of the other things folks have written).

I would much rather run newer tires that were mismatched than an old, worn out tire on the rear. Those tires with the worn out center really make your bike handle like a pig.

pretty much have run mismatched tires since the factory bridgestones came off in 03. been fine.

Michelin-Power-One-Rear.jpg

All tire companies make a quality product. Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Shinko, Avon, whoever. As long as the speed ratings are similar, you can run em all together. The motorcycle doesn't know any different. Lamb will bet that noone can tell what kind of tires are on a bike if they get on and take off without looking. Listening to only what the manufacturers have to say is ludicrous. Lamb is sure that the manufacturers recommend against changing the exhaust, marble mod, extra cooling fan, aftermarket rearsets, HH brake pads, steel braided lines, rotors, aftermarket wheels, etc. Have no fear, mix and match to your hearts content.

My favorite combination is Pilot Road 2 front and BT21 rear. No problem so far. And I live near the best twisty in Southern California.

i would never venture to run diff tires on my scoot... to each his own, I just want to know how anyone gets more than 2k miles on the tires... im on my 4th set with only 7k on the clock... i do run hard almost every weekend in the 160+ and then about 8 miles of twisties... almost religiously.... my wifey always bless me on sundays with "have fun at church today"

No problems with mismatching or plugging the rear. If anyone has some good rears b/c of screws send them my way except for the continentals. you can keep them good or bad.:laugh:

I dont agree with that,the lines of the tyres is different.The tyres is of different categories.M3 posters for different types of tyres did state not to mis match.Its extra knowledge to email the maunfacturers whether is it advisable or not.

On the street it doesn't really matter what brand or compound unless you like dragging knee.

On the track, mixing different compound tires can be deadly. Each brand uses a different chemical compound for their tires. Each compound has a different grip level and wear rate. I've already experienced front wheel slip while exiting a turn. I was off the brakes when the wheel tucked. The rear tire had more grip than the front. I almost lowsided the CBR that day.

That being said, I will never run mixed tires on my Busa or CBR. Corner grip matters more than mileage to me unless I'm on a trip. I will run PR2 or Avon Storms for my next trip.

I have a dunlop roadsmart on the rear and the qualifer on the front. I'am not going to tell you to do the same thing.I have no problem with it.I don't know how you ride.I would not mix a very hard compound touring with a pp or a qualifer, The only reason I mixed is that I do alot of highway back and forth to work and wear the center of the rear first.I was thinking I could get some more time from the roadsmart. I try to run tire's I can get for a good price any time of the year,not only on sale.But I'am sticking with dunlop.If I was going to do a track day I would put a qualifer on back.:beerchug:

I never had an issue I have run PR2 PP front I have also run on my Rocket 3 Avon front and Bridgestone rear. Rocket 3 tires are such a weird size its hard to find matching tires.

Back