~~ thinking of a sport tourer ~~

~~ thinking of a sport tourer ~~ - GF thinking about riding again..

• Gold Wing

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • FJR 1300

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ST 1100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Greetings,

Just tossing the idea of another bike. GF is thinking about riding again after four year absense. Not pushing the issue but we did have a lot of fun together.

I won't purchase a new machine but would rather buy used. A GW is always nice but leaning towards the Honda ST 1100, which would be enough, or moving up in price for a used Yamaha FJR 1300.

The FJR is just a wonderful Sport Tourer machine. Voted best many years in a row. Can't go wrong with a clean ST 1100/1300 either.

Picture is an FJR close to me. Not a blue fan but this isn't bad.

Just wanted to throw this out to the board. She is not capable to ride her own bike due to medical conditions.
sad.gif

runeight....

86472192_1__Medium_.jpg

KTM or BMW maybe..... I'm not well versed in these bikes....

How about a Yam. Warrior? Very nice machine. And can be tricked out!

DD

(Devil Dog @ Jan. 16 2007,08:49) KTM or BMW maybe.....  I'm not well versed in these bikes....

How about a Yam. Warrior?  Very nice machine. And can be tricked out!

DD
Vinnie,

Always liked the ST 1100. Prices are reasonable. FJR is just an awesome bike.

Never thought of a beemer but a great idea. Just thinking right now.

You did not vote?
rock.gif

runeight...

(Devil Dog @ Jan. 16 2007,08:58) I voted for the ST although either would be cool.  Definately not the Gold Wing.
yeah..leanig towards a smaller bike Vinnie..thanks..

runeight...

Dad recently got a new 06 Goldwing.
I actually like it and the wifey loved it.
Rode smooth, lot's of options.

I really like my ST1100. I bought it as a total 3 years ago. Spent a little over a year putting it back together.

Total investment, just under $2500.00.

There are some great deals to be had on the ST11's out there.

(Pipefighter248 @ Jan. 16 2007,09:16) Dad recently got a new 06 Goldwing.
yup..I know..

runeight...

104_0422__Medium_.JPG

(runeight @ Jan. 16 2007,11:18)
yup..I know..

runeight...
I'd also suggest with the goldwing to get the drivers backrest. Folds out of place for the passanger to get on and makes it that much more comfortable for the driver.

(Pipefighter248 @ Jan. 16 2007,09:19)
yup..I know..

runeight...
I'd also suggest with the goldwing to get the drivers backrest. Folds out of place for the passanger to get on and makes it that much more comfortable for the driver.
yup..had one..

wink.gif

(runeight @ Jan. 16 2007,11:21)
(Pipefighter248 @ Jan. 16 2007,09:19)
yup..I know..

runeight...
yup..had one..

wink.gif
I see.
beerchug.gif

My buddy had a ST1100 now has the FJ. He said it was like night and day. The FJ win's hands down.

(06BUSA @ Jan. 16 2007,10:46) My buddy had a ST1100 now has the FJ. He said it was like night and day. The FJ win's hands down.
I have heard that this is just a awesome motorcycle..

The new ones are clutchless..
cool.gif

Thanks..

runeight...

Know you want to buy used (makes sense) but the new Concours 14 should be pretty tempting.

I think if you and the GF want more sport riding in when 2-up go w/ the FJR, if you want pure comfort cruising then the GW, and the ST is more of a tweener' of the two.

I have ridden the ST11, ST13 and the FJR.

You just have to decide how much time you will be spending the the saddle and calculate that against the cost.

When comparing the ST11 to any of the current crop of sport tourers, all of the new ones will be more advanced. Better brakes, suspension, more HP/TQ....

For what I use mine for, the commuting and every now and then a trip with wife, the ST11 fits the bill.

(vman1300 @ Jan. 16 2007,11:31) I have ridden the ST11, ST13 and the FJR.

You just have to decide how much time you will be spending the the saddle and calculate that against the cost.

When comparing the ST11 to any of the current crop of sport tourers, all of the new ones will be more advanced. Better brakes, suspension, more HP/TQ....

For what I use mine for, the commuting and every now and then a trip with wife, the ST11 fits the bill.
thanks for the advice.

As you know we could upgrade the brakes easy enough on the ST 1100. Speed is not a factor but just enjoying the ride.

runeight...

(runeight @ Jan. 16 2007,13:47) thanks for the advice.

As you know we could upgrade the brakes easy enough on the ST 1100. Speed is not a factor but just enjoying the ride.

runeight...
I have changed to some HH pads on my ST. The brakes are good for anything but a very spirited run through the twisties.

Last time I was at the Gap on the ST, I did experience some brake fade, nothing major.

For my weight, all new machines need to have their suspension reworked.

If I keep this ST any longer, a trip to Traxxion is in my future.

You left out the New Kaw, which I think beats'em ALL for Sport Touring. But with the ones you show, the FJR 1300 if only YOU mainly ride it, and the ST1300 if both of you are riding most of the time  
super.gif

Back