Best Sport Tourer?

G

Alas, I can't get comfortable on my Hayabusa, so I'm looking for a "sporty" touring bike. I've looked at the BMW K1200RS, the BMW K1200LT, the BMW R1100RT, and the Honda ST1100. The R1100RT is a bit under-powered (what wouldn't be after riding a 'Busa?), and the ST1100 is a bit, uh, plain.

I've ridden the K1200LT, but not had a chance to ride the K1200RS. Can anyone give me an idea where on the comfort spectrum 'tween the Hayabusa and the K1200LT the 'RS falls? Any opinion over all on what is the best sport-tourer?

TIA,
BigGuy.

..the VFR too slow for ya? Try the BlackBird...the "old guy" Cycle Performance just traded his VFR in on one, and he could have gotten like 20% off a bike from his employer, but he didn't like the Busa either...the old boy still likes some steam...

...Cycle Performance dosn't sell Honda, cuss they are total dik heads to deal with...they don't want their products displayed along side any others! They expected Dennis to build a separate display area just for the Hona line! Arrogence or insecurtiy? Dosn't really matter...they are outa there, and Honda has no representation in this area! The MORONS! I would likely be buying Hondas if CP sold them!(six vehicles in the last two years) In fact, I just bought a Kawsaki Lakota as my first ATV this week, but I would have bought a Honda 300EX instead if they were available at Cycle Performance...but with the attitude they have, I won't be buying any more Honda bikes for a while...(I am on my fourth consecutive Honda automobile at present.... they have a realy good dealer downtown....(Torrington Honda)...2ed CRV...)

I wouldn't consider the blackbird if you didn't like the busa. I had a blackbird and I consider the busa more comfortable (although it seems like the opposite if you just sit on it at the dealer: deceiving).
The VFR is definitely much more ergo friendly than the birds of prey (I had a '97 but found it way underpowered). The new ones with FI and 50cc more should be adequate, especially when you compare it with the other bunch of turtles. I might trade my valkyrie for a K1200LT once they work all the bugs out. If you live in a big city and you have places like cruise america, rent them for a day before buying; It will be the hell of a lot better than buying the wrong bike.

...I know your problem...you have not read enough magazine articals! Good post, though, I never rode the Bird....the Old Guy liked it better than the Busa...who knows why? He is built something like a toad...

I assume you tried the GenMar risers and all the other ergo stuff...

You might want to ask Omega what he did. He's a big lug, and seems pretty pleased with his Busa. He definitely did some mods.

BigGuy, I've got the same concerns, trying to find the comfort zone on longer trips. Throttle hand goes numb in 30 minutes. I've got Helibars on order, and experimenting with windshields. Like you, I've tried all those bikes you've mentioned, and find everything underpowered after the Busa, so I'm on a quest to make it the best sport tourer possible. My pride, and pride of ownership, keep me going back to the Busa. I'm giving serious consideration to keeping two bikes around, not wanting to part with the bike.
My buddy loves his ST-1100. I've heard rumors that Honda is NOT going to build the X-Wing, but alot of people I know would buy one now, without even seeing one in person.
A bike mag this month rates the ZX-9 as a comfy bike....

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 27 May 2000).]

best long range fast sport tourer I have ever owned with these two criterion if you can ride long distance in the sport tour mode (leaned foreward)is a R1100RS...my .02.

Hey BigGuy,

Believe it or not, but the ZX11 Ninja is a very comfortable bike and it has a lot of power also. The best thing about the ZX11 to me is it's ability to be an everyday sport tourer or become a mean, street machine. Happy hunting for that perfect bike!

With several modifications I love my ST 1100. I agree it is a little plain but you DO NOT have to work on it. They need heli bars,better saddle,brake lines and brake pads,aftermarket cans,givi hard bag,2 inch higher shield and a few others. For the money its hard to beat. I also like the bmw but I just don`t like the price and local dealers. The ST does have a top heavy feel to it and compared to the bus is weak but for anything over a hundred miles or so I`m on it.

Hapo is on to something. I had a KLR 650 a few years ago and it was a terrific all round bike. 350 lb, 55 mpg, 300 mile range and lots of useable power. Not every sport tourer has to be a slight variation of a crotch rocket.

Before giving up on the Busa, I would try GenMar risers UNDER Heli bars. Gives more than 2 1/2" total raise, and a huge improvement in comfort. Also do the footpeg mod for more foot room. The end result is far more comfortable than a stock XX. Requires a bit of fiddling with brake line, etc., so check in the archives under "Heli bars" before starting.

If that's not an option, my clear choice would be the VFR. It's a helluva lot faster than the BMWs, costs less, handles better, and is much lighter. It has a slight forward lean, but if you want to be almost completely upright, Heli makes bars for it. A good exhaust system gets another 10 hp, if you want it.

I have quite a few miles on the VFR and the Bandit, and they are both good. The Bandit is upright, but a bit crude. Has a lot of torque, though, and a pipe works wonders.

What about a Boss Hoss for a touring bike? They come with either 350 cubic inch (350 horsepower) or 500 cubic inch (502 horsepower) V8s. They have a low seat height (26") and have a comfortable upright seating position. The downfall is that they won't corner as well as a sport bike (due to the low engine position, for balance), and they have 2 speed automatic transmissions, with reverse. And they also cost around $30,000.

I have sat on one of these, and the position is reasonably relaxed. I haven't driven one, but I've seen these driving around, and they look like a lot of fun. The 350 cubic inch model weighs 1100 pounds, and is reported to go 0-50 mph in 1.5 seconds. It's top speed probably won't be as fast as the rocketbikes due to the aerodynamics (or lack of) and transmission. I don't have performance figures for the 500 cubic incher, but I'm sure it is probably quicker. They do have an aluminum block 600 cubic inch version, that produces over 900 horsepower on the same bike frame. That's basically a pro-stock drag car on two wheels! These machines can be nitroused or supercharged.

I guess I like these bikes because I'm also a fan of classic musclecars, and the thought of having these monster motors on two wheels is mind-boggling. I've seen one do a burnout (on a 280-size rear tire) without breaking a sweat. And the sound is incredible! You should check one of these machines out, especially if you like really big-block machines. I'll be getting one, one of these days...

Jerry

Back