Thinking about a Busa but worried about my license

erik

Registered
Thinking about a Busa, but I've never owned a bike quicker than mid 12's in the quarter. I'm not worried about getting hurt, but am very concerned about getting in trouble with the law - first gear redline is like 90 mpg, right? how do you all have fun on this bike without getting in trouble, or do a lot of you have mega tickets? I haven't had a ticket in like 8 years and want to keep it that way.

I am not sure what to tell you Erik , the truth is the Busa is a fast bike. Your going to gamble getting tickets if you go fast, its really that simple. You can take preventative measures such as getting a radar detector , speeding in areas you know to be police free etc etc.

If its a big concern for you then either go slower or dont get the Busa.
cool.gif

The bike is only as fast as you ride it. For me I say dont do anything stupid in traffic, and you should be alright. I had my 01 Busa for 3 years, (knock on wood) I never got a ticket. I had it up in the 170 -180 MPH range and few times, but you have to know when and where do that kind of thing. I had gotten pulled over a few times on it (110 in a 65, 95 in a 55, 65 in a 35) but got out of the tickets by pulling right over, talking to the cop with respect, and always wearing full ridding gear. I think when a cop sees you are responsible enough to have full gear on, he knows you not some idiot tearing up the road, ( a squid) and will cut you more of a break.
that's my opinion, and experienses anyway.
I say get the bike, sold my 01, and miss it, so I have a deposit on an 05 LE, (still waiting for it)

Thinking about a Busa, but I've never owned a bike quicker than mid 12's in the quarter.  I'm not worried about getting hurt, but am very concerned about getting in trouble with the law - first gear redline is like 90 mpg, right? how do you all have fun on this bike without getting in trouble, or do a lot of you have mega tickets? I haven't had a ticket in like 8 years and want to keep it that way.
Man this is about the most mature and intelligent topic I have read in a LONG time. The bike is pure temptation. It gets up to speed so effortlessly you become a felon without any knowledge. Yep I'd weigh what your abilites at self control are and what you have to lose if you make a bad choice. Then decide if the bike is worth it. BTW make your decision BEFORE you ride the bike.

Ride with the cops seriously had one radar me at 175 and they were all high fiveing and #### some of the other cops did the same on there hogs 120 135 it was a hoot when the 601 crew stunts the cops watch and enjoy the show kinnda crazy down here in the south the cops here love bikes none of this is done in traffic just a few choice roads that are kinnda out of the way everybody loves The Show I will truly say this ;The Busa is the only thing that i have ever purchased that I Love like a person.

Like Uaintlobusa said, the bike will only go as fast as your right wrist twists the throttle. Any bike is like that though. Most bikes will do well above the speed limit, so you have to decide how you want to ride. There is a place and a time for taking care of that impulse, but traffic situations are not usually them. If you can get over that mental hurdle you will be fine. Good luck.

Thinking about a Busa, but I've never owned a bike quicker than mid 12's in the quarter.  I'm not worried about getting hurt, but am very concerned about getting in trouble with the law - first gear redline is like 90 mpg, right? how do you all have fun on this bike without getting in trouble, or do a lot of you have mega tickets? I haven't had a ticket in like 8 years and want to keep it that way.
Man this is about the most mature and intelligent topic I have read in a LONG time. The bike is pure temptation. It gets up to speed so effortlessly you become a felon without any knowledge. Yep I'd weigh what your abilites at self control are and what you have to lose if you make a bad choice. Then  decide if the bike is worth it. BTW make your decision BEFORE you ride the bike.
I agree...make the decision BEFORE you ride. Once you ride it, there will be no turning back...
laugh.gif

Welcome to the board. If your that worried about tickets and can't control yourself....then don't buy a bike
cool.gif

Almost all vehicles on the road are capable of breaking the speed limit. That includes cars and trucks. Although some may tempt you to actually break it, none will force you to do so.

Think about it, if you got a 600cc bike, do you think you would be less likely to get a speeding ticket because they can only go 150mph?

smileyexhibit.gif

There's a time and a place for everything. If you have driven 12 second bikes for awhile and never got a speeding ticket what makes you think you're going to get one on a 9 second bike? If you feel you don't have enough self discipline to let off the throttle then maybe you shouldn't get one...

Hmmm. You don't see the difference in a bike that redlines in first at 40 mph and second gear at 65 mph and a bike that does the same thing at 90 mph and 120 mph? I'm not sure I see the point in owning a bike you can't redline when the feeling strikes you, and that makes you a speeder on every road and every gear you do it on.
I mean, what's the point in owning a Busa if you ain't gonna use it like it was made to be used? Some of you are suggesting you ride it like you would a cruiser, that's just sad.
sad.gif

The Busa is my first sport bike, my second bike overall. I have only been riding it since April. I previously had a Honda Shadow Sabre.

Obvious differences in machines but throttle control is the key. I have been at 120 once on RT 95 from Mass to NH but thats it and it was 7am.

It's all about throttle control.

Scott

Hmmm. You don't see the difference in a bike that redlines in first at 40 mph and second gear at 65 mph and a bike that does the same thing at 90 mph and 120 mph?  I'm not sure I see the point in owning a bike you can't redline when the feeling strikes you, and that makes you a speeder on every road and every gear you do it on.
I mean, what's the point in owning a Busa if you ain't gonna use it like it was made to be used?  Some of you are suggesting you ride it like you would a cruiser, that's just sad.
sad.gif
I try to chose my speed venues wisely. Yes having to keep a Busa under 65 is like hooking a wagon to a racehorse.

Back