thinking about a second bike, opinions

da busa guy

Registered
been thinking about a second bike (well i do have a pocket bike,49 cc but not sure it counts,terrorize the hood with it,neighbors think i'm a nut ) would like to know pro's and cons(handling,reliability,etc.) of the gsx 1000,750 and the kawasaki 636 or zx10.just wanting a lightweight sportbike to play with and let the Busa rest now and then. what do you guys think?

A good Pure sports option would be the 636. Prolly one of the best handling bikes on the market.

Otherwise, I'd add a DL1000 V-Strom to your list, just a great all around bike that can pretty much do anything...

Youll have to be more specific in what you would like in a second bike...there are alot of lightweight sportbikes.

specific huh,well i did give 4 choices. just was curious what ya'll thought about them .and how did you get a 2006 gsx 1000, my dealer said sept.before he got one. anyways that is what i am leaning towards but i don't think i would be disappointed with any of them,unless i hear a horror story or two.

For speed and raw power = Gixxer 1000
For handling = 636 (though I'd personally prefer the 600RR)
For the balance of both = 750

I guess it all depends on your riding style ...

busa 2006
biggrin.gif

I was in the same position a couple months ago.  My first choice would have been the GSXR750.  More torque than the 636(I love torque), but not so much as the liter bikes(less to worry about leaned over).  I was looking for a 2nd bike that I'd use for the track, but could use for the street also.

I ended up with GSXR1000 because of a great deal.  I bought it for an awesome owner, at an awesome price for an awesome bike.

So my point, go for the best deal.  New or used, $$$$ is the bottom line.  Don't rush yourself, leave yourself plenty of time to come accross the deal your looking for.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123426181 -->

specific huh,well i did give 4 choices. just was curious what ya'll thought about them .and how did you get a 2006  gsx 1000, my dealer said sept.before he got one. anyways that is what i am leaning towards but i don't think i would be disappointed with any of them,unless i hear a horror story or two.
Do you ride your Busa hard? I asked because the Gixxer 1K may be more than you need.

You may very well be happier with a smaller bike.

I dont have Gixxer yet...its coming though and I am trading in my Busa , not getting it in addition to. I suppose there is still a slight chance I wont get one though.

The Gixxer 1K is ALOT of bike. I run my Busa pretty hard so to me the Gixxer is perfect.
If a guy just putzed around on his Busa and wanted something to wind up once in awhile then a 600 would be better than a 1000.

The Busa demands respect as well, but in different scenarios , for example I can really rip open the Busa
coming out of a corner and ive almost never had
a tire break loose on me because of its smoother power
delivery.
Rip the Gix open coming out and its highside city.

You can rip the Busa open in a straight line or going around sweepers and stuff and she will remain stable....the Gixxer on the other hand will loft the front tire if your not smooth, basically the Gixxer is going to be way more prone to handle bar shakes and tank slappers.

I guess it comes down to this: The Busa is way more forgiving with an un-smoother throttle roll on. The Gixxer will demand smoothness.

Ive only spend 4hrs tops on one so far though so thats about all I have to say for now.

The Gixxer 1K is evil. Seriously, I feel that this is the best description for this bike. They should not sell it
to just anybody.

if you are lookin into a possible lil flickable stablemate for the Busa you have got to look into the Gixxer 750.   I love mine.   And since you are considering the 600 the 750 is the same bike just bigger motor.  The Gix 750 has enuf power to run with the 1000's all day long and still kill the 600's in the twisties.......
I put 300 miles on mine yesterday riding with my two Buddies one with a 05 600RR and the other with a 05 636.  They both love my 750's power and the three bikes are even matches in the twisties until the apex arrives in the turns and you roll on the throttle on the Gix and the 6's are no match.

new_stablemate.jpg

thank you guys for your input, i ride the busa about medium (so far it is a much better bike than i am a rider) to me it's like a gentlemen bully,it's mean but refined, i was thinking about something light,powerful ,fun,with that flickability(is that a word?) factor. i am definitly leaning towards the GSX 1000. i have been amazed at the magazine articles seemingly stating the GSX1000 has too much power,it that possible? thanks all again for the input

Yep, it has too much power...way overkill. But thats how I like it!
firedevil.gif

Just remember what might be a close call on the Busa will likely result in a wreck on the Gixxer.

If your only using a part of the Busa then frankly you are wasting your money on the 1000.

how did you get a 2006 GSX 1000 in june? as far as bikes go, i stepped from a 03 1200 sportster to the Busa,so i figure i might be alright
biggrin.gif

I already answered your question about the 06' above. Where did you pull June out of?

I hope your riding skills are better than your reading skill are.

sorry i'm retarded BV, i must have been speed reading and missed your reply about the 2006. your're right , where the hell did i get June? thanks BusaReds for the info on the 750, i have thought pretty strongly on it also

Man, I'll tell you what; I went riding, hard and agressive riding, with a buddy who I will be racing with in the CCS next season. Mind you, Rob's been racing for the better part of 15 years, and is so far and above my experience level that...well, nuff said there; however, I pushed the Busa far beyond what I ever done yet following Rob through the twisities, and that muther is so hard for me to hold down at high speeds in tight twisties...it was fun, but hairy and kinda sucked at the same time. Rob was on his 7rr and I was (not always
blush.gif
) able to keep him in my sights on the turns, but totally could have ran him off the road coming into the straights most times. But there was the hairy sucky part...holding her down while cornering at extreme speeds that a lighter bike could be flicked into and ridden out. I totally had to get off the bike and hang off the side somtimes and still drifted (flapped, hard...my body is sore now) a bit out of my line.

Rob and I were actually talking about this exact topic today after our ride, and I agree with him. I have picked up a 600 F4 to learn the ropes of racing on and then in a season or two will be moving to a Honda 600rr or Kawi 636 or 6rr. That would be SO much more fun flicking through the twisties. The other thing is, the Busa is just a monster. Coming out of the turns and cranking on it, you quasi-tank slamp and hold on for dear life. She is just SO much engine...Well, okay, that can be fun. The acceleration is just killer, although I kept bouncing off the rev limiter today.

On another, more obvious note, Jason almost killed himself a handful of times today racing through the twisties with his friend and veteran racer.
blush.gif

blush.gif

All I can say is that the 636 is a great sportbike. Light, handles awesome.

Back