The Race Card

The black professors at university were my favorite because they were more tolerant and less arrogant. [/QUOTE]

...I studied in the US myself Guru, but I'd not like to classify my experience like that!! I had proffessors who were white and have treated me very well... infact given me extra attention cause I was an International student and I needed extra attention to blend in... and then there were others who held biases against me (only one, to be precise) !! I would say its not about education... it's not about how much you earn!! Its just about "individuals"... some individuals are really good black or white, and some are not!! Thats just how the world works....

laugh.gif
... and that Indiana Jones thing, well I think every Indian goes through that
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Now that we've stripped the skin off the human body, and we found out that we'd all look pretty much the same, can we get past all this race cr@p?
AAAssjani.gif

In my book, either your a human, or your not!!! How I treat you depends on how you treat me! No excuses! No bull! I give everyone a chance, but if you blow it (and it depends on how bad you try to get me) you may not get another chance! If it's meant to hurt me, or someone I know, be prepared to slammed!

biggrin.gif
...Well put +1

Since this thread went way beyond the inital meaning of the post i thought i would add a little humor. Oddly enough i receive this in an email today.

copwkid.jpg

You all need to do what I do when I hear someone discussin racism.

let it die

If everyone would clean up their own backyards and worry more about how YOU treat someone than how someone is treating you. Eventually all this racist crap would go away.

Next thread.

I say its all bullshit, the way to peace is stop bringing it up....white people who talk about race cards are only adding to the problem...just keep your mouth shut and try to get along...do your part, dont expect the other person to do his part.
+a million.

You cant change others, you can only change yourself and hope/pray that others will soon follow.

You all need to do what I do when I hear someone discussin racism.

let it die

If everyone would clean up their own backyards and worry more about how YOU treat someone than how someone is treating you. Eventually all this racist crap would go away.

Next thread.
That would be nice, but the ostrich theory doesn't work very well with this particular topic. When you ignore racism, it gives tacit approval to those who hold that veiwpoint. if you say nothing it is assumed that you also fell the same way, and the problem compounds.
I agree 100% with the idea of keeping one's own yard tended though.......

When people falsely use the race card, it diminishes its potency.
Demonstrative of the fundamental problem propagating true racism - the other edge of a two-edged sword.

There are people who apply behaviour seen in one or more people of a given skin color to all people of that color. You are racist. Regardless of your reasoning for it, if you think that all of a certain race of people do/say/act/think/can't etc, you are a racist.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. You may displaying prejudice - as you wrote below - but not racism.

As I wrote in another thread, racism is the belief that some races of men are, by nature, superior to others. If someone supposes that all, or a majority of, members of a particular race display or will display a particular behavior, someone may be guilty of nothing more than being a Sociologist. In any event, it doesn't demonstrate a presupposition of the superiority of one race over another.

Prejudice and racism are different. Everyone is prejudiced to a certain extent. We all pre-judge others, based on our life experiences. When all your prejudices are based on skin color, that is where the line is crossed into racism.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your premise but I couldn't disagree more with your conclusion. In fact it's a nonsequitur - an inference that doesn't follow from the premise. Otherwise, by virtue of global race intermingling and race awareness, virtually ALL mankind are racist.

Go to China and try to tell them that there should be more white people in their movies....

Go to Italy and tell all of them to have more restaurants with hotdogs on the menu....

Go to Africa and demand that more japanese people should make up an equal amount of their political leaders, and governmental decision making.

Go to Russia and demand that there be a black person on every city council.

White people are just as often a minority in many of these countries...and you dont ever hear white people complain of racism.  

You never hear a chinese person blame racism.  You never hear it from the japanese, the koreans, the italians, the spanish, the french, the arabs, the swiss, the irish, the australians, - none of those ethnicities cry about racism.

So why might that be?  

Racisim is kept alive by those who summon it as an excuse.  If that is "you", then it's YOUR fault.  

If it is not, then welcome to  progress.
You just hit the nail on the head and drove it all the way to the pine...

Hence my quote:
What I think most people miss in their fascination with the shiny coin of racism is that it has two sides...

Racism is a tool - a politically correct tool...[/QUOTE]
Racism is not a tool, however it is used by politcians and media outlets as a very effective one. They exploit the racist tendencies that exist in many americans to their financial benefit. The difference between all the countries mentioned and ours is that those countries were not founded on the premise of all people being equal, nor do they have the high number of immigrants that this country has. Face it, there were no Smith, Jones or Eisenhauer tribes, you or a few generations removed from you were immigrants of one sort or another.
You think that none of the other cultures and races you mixed up there cry about racism? You are wrong. Every group listed has complained at one time or another about mistreatment due to skin color or national origin. Ask a Chinese man what it's like to have an engineering degree but have to open a restaurant, ask a Korean how the Japanese treat them, Italians, French, Spanish, Swiss, Irish and Australians are all white, so they do not apply to this example of racism. I'm sure no Arabs could tell you anything about racial profiling here lately either.........
Racism is alive and well, all you have to do is read the original post in this thread. Broad generalizing statements about black people, uttered because the person thought they were on safe ground, I suppose thinking that no black people own Busas or frequent this board. I agree that racism is used far too often when it is not needed, but make no mistake it's alive and well, living in your town.
BTW, racism doesn't have two sides, only one. No matter what color you are, a racist is a racist.

The term racism is used in our society primarily as a method of distinguishing between two or more separate groups of people, based on skin color and ethnic origin. I used it in this context, and everyoneunderstood what it meant, with the exception of you. As usual, you wish to attempt to diminish the impact of a thought that must strike quite close to home with you, or else we wouldn't have the pleasure (burden?) of your contribution. Your effort to pick apart my statement with semantic qualifications of the topic itself are pathetic, the point is clearly made, whether or not it suits your definition of racism. Those who have been exposed to racism know EXACTLY what it is, regardless of the dictionary definition. Those who practice it in the privacy of their home, behind the mask of computer because they don't quite have the courage to say it to the guy that took the job they considered theirs, or screwed the girl they didn't quite ask out will never admit to it because they are cowards. They cry, and deny, say "but I have black friends...etc." trying to form a smokescreen. Truth is, they know what they are, and so do we.

If you are a racist, and some of you that are reading this most certainly are, you have to bear that cross.
Ive read all of the posts on this topic several times, and i would have to disagree with you. I have read many different points of view on here, some i agree with and some i dont, but i wouldnt say that anyone on here is racist. Just because i dont think its right that minorities could be selected for a job over me, even if i am more qualified, doesnt mean im racist. I dont judge people by their skin, i have several black friends, my neighbors are black, and to me they are no different from anyone else. They treat me decent and i do the same. People have their opinions, and that what makes evryone different, but just because someone has a different view on the topic, doesnt make them a racist.

The term racism is used in our society primarily as a method of distinguishing between two or more separate groups of people, based on skin color and ethnic origin.
And we've been getting along so well...

No, that's the word 'race'. The word 'racism' has a well established, well defined meaning. I believe you're using it incorrectly and I believe the word which most correctly fits your definition is 'prejudice'.

I used it in this context, and everyoneunderstood what it meant, with the exception of you.[/QUOTE]

Have you really heard from everyone? That's either a crystal clear mandate or it's a sweeping exaggeration. And I understood what you meant even though you're using the wrong word.

As usual, you wish to attempt to diminish the impact of a thought that must strike quite close to home with you, or else we wouldn't have the pleasure (burden?) of your contribution.[/QUOTE]

For a guy who so terribly dislikes being given labels, and having people tell him about himself, you're seriously overstepping your bounds. I posted because I, like many others, am tired of hearing the word 'racism' so often misused. Again, it has a well established, well defined meaning.

Your effort to pick apart my statement with semantic qualifications of the topic itself are pathetic, the point is clearly made, whether or not it suits your definition of racism.[/QUOTE]

This is pure gobbledegook. And, it isn't my definition. Were it my definition, you'd have a good arguement.

Those who have been exposed to racism know EXACTLY what it is, regardless of the dictionary definition.[/QUOTE]

So you admit that what I posted is a dictionary definition; thank you. Also, I have been subjected to genuine racism; thank you for your understanding. Yes, I do indeed know exactly what it is...

Prejudice: A favoring or dislike of something without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge; an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, or a race. -- Webster's

People can explain that they are not racist, pretend they are not racist, debate what the word itself means, it doesn't matter.
If I throw a rock at a pack of dogs, the only one barking is the one that got hit.

Dayum, I have been away for a few days and now this. Look alot has been said, but contrary to what many of you believe, we blacks have dealt with it under the table for a long time. True slavery is over, but the undertones of it are present in day-to-day life.

No American citizens should be referred to as "Refugees". Through all of the hurricanes that came through Florida and displaced people, I never heard of them referred to as refugees. Go figure.

People always want to throw Jesse Jackson at us. He is not my personal saviour, Jesus Christ is.

As far as all of the organizations and systems that were created for "us", yes there was a need for them, and to an extent there still is. Why? Because of the "Good Old Boy" System. I have seen come people get jobs and everything else, because not what they knew, but rather who. Explain that.

As far as the race card being played by criminals. If you commit a crime, you are just that a criminal, black, white, or whatever. I have no respect for someone clearly guilty of whatever they did, trying to use race as an excuse.

We don't sit around trying to figure out some Supreme Plot hatched out by whites to "keep us down". But any black man that can say that they have forgotten about what blacks have gone through as a people, and that today everything is on a even palying field, then I would say that ***** or African-American needs to open his eyes.

There are some good people on this board. However, there will always be some gutless worhtless pieces of shid that let their true feeling be known. You can go to labusas or I went to Craigslist - Rants and Raves and fund some horrible stuff where people are finding humor in the plight of the people in New ORleans. So yes racism is a live and kicking in 2005.

The bottom line is no child is born with any preference. It all comes down to what mommy and daddy bring to the table. For some whos mommy and daddy are brother and sister,they may have a hard time and end up feeling the blacks and others are inferior. (Sorry I had to go there) But anyway the point is we can teach our kids not to let this shid grow and fester. But I do have to teach my daughter where we came from and where we need to go.

No American citizens should be referred to as "Refugees".
look up the definition of a refugee.. (not lauryn-hill or wyclef)

refugee -one who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, environmental destruction, or religious persecution.

there are other versions of this, as in political refugee status, etc.. it is in the way that a person views the definition.

Back