Need trading card help

TheWheelman

Registered
this is about as far from bikes as it gets, but there is so much knowledge here, i just have to throw this out. I have about 1500 or 2000 basketball cards, from the mid '90's almost all of them are in perfect condition, preserved for the last 11 or 12 years in their boxes, i am interested in getting rid of these, as i have no attachment to them, and could use the extra cash, if there is any to be made from selling them off. With that said, do any of you super internet gurus know any sites where the value of cards can be determined for free, based on brand, year, and card number. i found a site like this using google, but i cannot for the life of me remember the keywords i used to find it, i have searched for hours to no avail, any help from you boys would be apprieciated, and if any of you are interested in buying cards, i will let you know what i have for sale and when!!! thanks ya'll

-WHEELMAN

self BUMP
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|TheWheelman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140511776 -->

i use 2 collect baseball cards but found a patrick ewing autographed card.  i didnt even know i had this. now to figure out how much it is worth???   all i know its a 92 hoops best of the game and there is no number on it
mad.gif

only site i know about is www.beckett.com, but it costs like $5 a month. but u can put ANY card/name in and it will tell u its value.

<!--EDIT|AZIROC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140514373 -->

yeah, i know beckett.com, i just didnt want to spend any money getting rid of this stuff, i cant seem to find a collector shop around here either..... the search continues

-WHEELMAN

what you could probably do is go to your local grocery store or better yet Walmart, go to the collectibles isle, and they should have magazines in there dated by year to show you the value of any expensive cards and whole sets. I used to collect upper deck (because I believed at the time the holograms on the cards would make them worth more in the long run), but that's free and you can paruse that and go by years to find out which cards are expensive (by your definition) and check to see if you have that one. Ebay is a great way to unload whole sets or individual cards.

what you could probably do is go to your local grocery store or better yet Walmart, go to the collectibles isle, and they should have magazines in there dated by year to show you the value of any expensive cards and whole sets. I used to collect upper deck (because I believed at the time the holograms on the cards would make them worth more in the long run), but that's free and you can paruse that and go by years to find out which cards are expensive (by your definition) and check to see if you have that one. Ebay is a great way to unload whole sets or individual cards.
Good point. 90% of my cards are upperdeck authenticated or collectors choice, and i have a couple complete sets, one including numbered cards 1- 410 of 95-96 year. good idea.

-WHEELMAN

glad I could offer some advice, I'll send you my bill, I must have forgotten to mention my consultation fee, lol. Now I have to go through my shoe boxes of cards. most of my expensive cards are in cases. I knew way back when I was young and dumb which cards I'd need to protect as an investment.

great, and when I put that baby in the bank with all the rest of my money I'll have approximately ummmmm $0.02, lol. Not too great of a consultant, lol I'm actually a psychic I saw that one coming.

There are a million price guides you can buy but Beckett is pretty much the only one buyers and sellers really go by. Just go to the store and pick one up for a few dollars ( they come out monthly). Keep in mind what the book says a card is worth and what you can sell it for are two completly different things.
I started collecting sports cards when I was 8 and stopped when I was around 20. I have somewhere around 350,000 cards collecting dust now. If I could sell them for book value I could buy a nice house and a couple turbo Busas.
The few times I've looked at cards on ebay(it's been a few years) they were only bringing about 20% of book value. Unless your selling higher priced cards induvidually don't bother selling online. Usually the shipping alone cost more than what a couple thousand common cards and a handful of star cards are worth.

I havn't followed cards in a long time but if you have any questions PM me and I will try to help.

One more thing. You mentioned you have a set. There are two kinds. One is a factory set (meaning you bought the set at one time in a factory sealed box). Two, is a hand picked set (meaning you put the set together yourself using cards you opened out of packs. So a sealed factory set is worth more than a opened factory set. An opened factory set is worth more than a hand picked set.
I hope I didn't confuse you instead of helping.:)

Yep, i used to collect too. Now they are all just sitting in my spare room playing with dust bunnines. The best place to go is your local card shop, you could just yahoo or google search for them. The big money is graded cards, (sending your cards off to a grading company). I can't remember how much it costs. You can pick-up a Beckett or any other Card price guide to get the value of your cards, Before you visit your local shop, just to get an idea of the value range.
beerchug.gif

SHIMMYZ, i have the 1995 1996 upper deck collectors choice factory set, series one and two, opened of course, because i was dumb when i was 9, hahaha, but yeah, its a factory set, not one i put together......

-WHEELMAN

just hoping to unload them to get some quick cash, not looking to become a card guru or collector, i have no attachment to these things, nor any desire other than to sell them off for a fair price.

Back