Stolen credit card rant.....

Rev. 6:5

Registered
Okay, so I go to the Taco Bell in Farmers Branch, Texas, for lunch today. Shortly afterwards, my checking account is pillaged. Someone decided to buy DJ equipment from a place in Wisconsin. When I figure out what happened, I cancel my card. I then call the company and explain that someone stole my credit card numbers and used them to purchase $1000 worth of stuff from their business. I further explained that I was disputing the charges, so I knew I was going to get my money back, but thought I'd make a courtesy call to them so they could try to keep from losing a chunk of change when Visa reverses the charges.

Me: "Hi, my credit card number was stolen and used to purchase over $1,000 worth of DJ equipment from your company. I wanted to make a courtesy call to you in case you could stop the order and save yourself some money."
Them: "You have to take that up with your credit card company."
Me: "I am. You don't understand, Visa will reverse these charges and your company will be out all this money."
Them: "Call the local police and report this. Then ask them to call us and we'll cancel the order."
Me: "I'm not going out of my way to save YOU money, you need to meet me half way here."
Them: "Okay, thanks for calling."

CLICK

Oooookay, in this poor economy, I guess $1,000 is still chump change to companies out there. Enjoy your DJ equipment, crook, we'll all pay for it with higher interest rates due to people like you.

WOW - some idiots huh. Someone's gonna get $1000 in free product from the sounds of it. My wife had her debit card cloned last year and drained her account buying from Staples in India. She got 100% refunded, the bank should have thrown a red flag when a charge from Staples of India came across but they didn't.....3 times in a row! I don't know how logical thinking they are, but common sense should ponder the question why someone in the US would buy from a Staples website in India!

You just can't be nice to some people. Kuddos to you for trying!

I am glad to hear that you are gonna be able to get your money back! I can't believe that company would be willing to loose a thousand dollars just because they were to lazy to make a simple phone call.

I was flabbergasted! I didn't have to make that phone call! I could have simply disputed the charge, gotten my money back and all would have been fine. That's what I get for going the extra mile. I'm emailing the company to complain. Wish I'd gotten that stupid woman's name.

I am glad to hear that you are gonna be able to get your money back! I can't believe that company would be willing to loose a thousand dollars just because they were to lazy to make a simple phone call.

There is also the possibility that the thief has friends in the store an they don't care. :whistle:

Most likely the company will get the money for the equipment. The bank is responsible for the charges not the customer (you) or places charging the card even though I'm sure this company didn't verify the card info. The company also could be in on the scam too.

If you wanted you could try and cancel the order like you meant to place it in the first place. Meaning, call up and say something like "Hey, I placed this order but I made a mistake and need to cancel it". Or you could call and see where the products are being shipped and then notify the local police of where the shipping address is.

My 1st impression is that one or more of the employees from the DJ store are in on it! :whistle:

I just had the same thing happen to me. I got my CC statement the other day and found 2 charges on it to NM Online. I had no idea what that was so I called the 1 800 number next to the charge. It turns out to be Neiman Marcus and they bought a bunch of cashmere sweaters and kids cloths. They stopped the charges and then told me to call my credit card co. and cancel my card. My CC company closed out my card and refunded all charges made to me. Still very unhappy how this happened.

Yep that Merchant is STOO PED! They may even have a $25 charge back fee added to their woes ao top of the original charges refunded to you.

It's the MERCHANT who gets stuck eventually.

I got stuck for $8K this past year. One of our employees took 3 orders for a guy with a latina name in Miami (since we don't do business in FL, that was strike 1 on the highly suspicious scale); never bought before (strike 2), AVE (address) did not match (strike 3) but they 'pushed' the sale thru without asking me; Gave our salesman over TEN different card numbers to include the CCCV code UNTIL he got one that accepted (strike 5 -50!), on a BANK OF SCOTLAND credit card (Strike 51). All this time I was 20 feet away, oblivious to what was happening. Of course, all came back as fraudlent, and we will have to write it off as bad debt.

Called the local FBI office, amount was too small from them to be interested, they recommended the secret service.

I even Google mapped the shipping address, it was a warehouse section 3 blocks from the MIA airport. Man, do I wish he'd call back....

I had to go into the CC system and turn back on EVERY security feature available in order to protect us FROM OUR OWN EMPLOYEE's stupidity. Now, every time we get a mismatch, even from long-time customers, we have to spend hours to straighten out the mess before shipping (and you would not BELIEVE how many people DO NOT KNOW their OWN CC billing address! Jeez.

It's the MERCHANT who gets stuck eventually.

I got stuck for $8K this past year. One of our employees took 3 orders for a guy with a latina name in Miami (since we don't do business in FL, that was strike 1 on the highly suspicious scale); never bought before (strike 2), AVE (address) did not match (strike 3) but they 'pushed' the sale thru without asking me; Gave our salesman over TEN different card numbers to include the CCCV code UNTIL he got one that accepted (strike 5 -50!), on a BANK OF SCOTLAND credit card (Strike 51). All this time I was 20 feet away, oblivious to what was happening. Of course, all came back as fraudlent, and we will have to write it off as bad debt.

Called the local FBI office, amount was too small from them to be interested, they recommended the secret service.

I even Google mapped the shipping address, it was a warehouse section 3 blocks from the MIA airport. Man, do I wish he'd call back....

I had to go into the CC system and turn back on EVERY security feature available in order to protect us FROM OUR OWN EMPLOYEE's stupidity. Now, every time we get a mismatch, even from long-time customers, we have to spend hours to straighten out the mess before shipping (and you would not BELIEVE how many people DO NOT KNOW their OWN CC billing address! Jeez.

I hope you turned the Sales Rep lose. Most processors will red flag a sale after a couple of tries. They dont want to stuck with a charge back ( or their good customer, you the merchant either. ) I am amazed at how many sales clerks will not even check the ID and most Never Ever check to see if the signature matches. Even on a check. A few years ago a guy started signing his checks " Mickey Mouse" just to see what would happen... and they were even processed thru the bank until over 100 checks had passed and finally some one caught it. :whistle:

I really can't bring myself to fire the guy, he's been with us for over 20 years. But sometimes it seems we are our own worst enemy....

You can not post this on here.. You are not a sponsor..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back