Victim of Bank Card Fraud

Had my wallet pickpocket in Korea and didn't realize my CC was being maxed out until the next week. Took awhile due to paperwork taking forever to get to Korea, but the CC company refunded me for all the money.

And they caught that jack-a$$ on closed circuit camera's :moon:

this stuff really sux b@lls-When Amy took a trip to Mexico last year she used her card to pay for some stuff in the hotel were she was staying and THATS IT-used cash for everything else while she was there...came back and a month later we started getting the calls about weird online purchases...in Mexico!
Card company got all her info, and went to work on it-they spoke several times over a few days, but it all got worked out and we didnt lose any $.

And I know one hotel she's never staying at again....:whistle:

Good luck and hope they sort all this out for you quickly-sucks that to have to be 'put out' for some jerk who is f**n u over to begin with...might as well :moon: every time we charge something anywhere now...

had some paypal drama last year, but I sent them an email. It was cleared up in a month. It was to the tune of $400, but I did get it back :thumbsup: no issues since *knock on wood*

Both the Mrs and myself have been through this.... Generally at least in Ks they took care of everything BUT the first $50 that was ours. Was a debt card that was compromised.. Had it been a CC they would have covered everything! Yes very painful had to freeze and re-issue all our accounts associated with that card. Hate thieves with a passion....

NEVER EVER use a debit card. It is a direct link to your checking account that settles too quickly. A credit card give you a statement that you get to review before making payment, and are protected from fraud. Some banks claim they protect your debit card too, but usually you have to go thru alot of paperwork.

Don't call them back at the number they gave you, CALL THE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF THE CARD.

Folks there is a lot of truth and more rumor in this post about security... This is EXACTLY what I do every day... I am a certified CPISM (Certified Payment-Card Industry Security Manager) I deal with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, JCB and American Express every day.... I provide security and risk management for roughly 10,000 level 4 merchants, 100 level 3 merchants, and our own companies level 1.

The number one compromise is not from using websites (It is definatley on the high list) but from Integrated Point of sale machines. These are your mom and pop shops that usually purchase a computer that processes credit cards and keeps customer information on hand. The communications are typically broadband and they have no IT group in place to manage a firewall, virus protection or good business policies. Your card data is stored on those computers for many many years, until the past couple of years there wasnt any regulation on these systems but now there are PCI (Payment Card Industry) requirements as well as a newly formed group called the PCI SSC or Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. This group now requires that the software companies sell meet a very difficult set of guidlines including encryption, storage, communications and the management of all of these things...

Next time you go inside any store look and see if they use a little device with a keypad to swipe the card and then push a fwe buttons on it or if they swipe a card into a system and it prints out on a nice piece of paper on a printer or if it just prints on a small receipt printer with no card swipe or keys. I challenge you to this because every time that you allow someone to swipe you card into a computer you are probably having your data saved on a hard drive there in that shop.

A perfect example is recently when I went to get my hair cut I walked up to the counter and noticed they had an Integrated POS system, I obviously distracted the receptionist and she said yes we swipe the card here and it comes up on the screen. I asked her if she new anything about PADSS (Payment Application Data Security Standards) from Visa and she said no. We started discussing it and she invited me around the corner to take a look. (This was scary that she just let me behind the counter to play with her computer) but I noticed that she was browsing the Internet on the very computer that she wanted to swipe my card on...

You need to protect yourselves and make sure that your letting the right places touch your cards.... How do you think that TJ Maxx was hacked? Insecure wireless communications...

The list goes on and on of how hackers get the data, its not your local script kiddies either its organized crime stealing this data....

If any of you have any questions about security please let me know so I can help...

cap

Anyone with a bank account could have something similar happen. On-line purchases are safer than many face-to-face transactions. Do you see what the server does with your card when they leave the table?

Banks and credit companies get attacked more than on-line merchants.

Sorry this happened. Most banks and cc companies are good about not holding the victim responsible.

sorry you are having to deal with this!

as far as you being safe? you can get hit at your own ATM by crooks using skimmers , they are also installing them on gas pumps linky ...also, as previously mentioned, your card info is worth between $35-50 to a crook who can sell it on the street linky ...keep an eye on your business as this is only going to get worse as the crooks become more sophisticated

Most banks and cc companies are good about not holding the victim responsible.

The issueing bank is responsible for the chargebacks.. You should have no out of pocket expense with this unless the bank that issued the card has some sort of admin fee. Call and complain to them and they will waive it.

Now I know where evil overlord Captain really makes his $$ at....and oh yeah i know about PADSS it's why I won't put a swiper on a PC. We do SSL encrypted internet card processing...but no swiping unless on a standalone unit.

I just got robbed on the net by green te xtreme sucks i was supposed to pay 5.95 s&h and got charged 75.00 its a runaround, turns out lots of people also burned by same place so i can relate sorry it sucks!!

Folks there is a lot of truth and more rumor in this post about security... This is EXACTLY what I do every day... I am a certified CPISM (Certified Payment-Card Industry Security Manager) I deal with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, JCB and American Express every day.... I provide security and risk management for roughly 10,000 level 4 merchants, 100 level 3 merchants, and our own companies level 1.

The number one compromise is not from using websites (It is definatley on the high list) but from Integrated Point of sale machines. These are your mom and pop shops that usually purchase a computer that processes credit cards and keeps customer information on hand. The communications are typically broadband and they have no IT group in place to manage a firewall, virus protection or good business policies. Your card data is stored on those computers for many many years, until the past couple of years there wasnt any regulation on these systems but now there are PCI (Payment Card Industry) requirements as well as a newly formed group called the PCI SSC or Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. This group now requires that the software companies sell meet a very difficult set of guidlines including encryption, storage, communications and the management of all of these things...

Next time you go inside any store look and see if they use a little device with a keypad to swipe the card and then push a fwe buttons on it or if they swipe a card into a system and it prints out on a nice piece of paper on a printer or if it just prints on a small receipt printer with no card swipe or keys. I challenge you to this because every time that you allow someone to swipe you card into a computer you are probably having your data saved on a hard drive there in that shop.

A perfect example is recently when I went to get my hair cut I walked up to the counter and noticed they had an Integrated POS system, I obviously distracted the receptionist and she said yes we swipe the card here and it comes up on the screen. I asked her if she new anything about PADSS (Payment Application Data Security Standards) from Visa and she said no. We started discussing it and she invited me around the corner to take a look. (This was scary that she just let me behind the counter to play with her computer) but I noticed that she was browsing the Internet on the very computer that she wanted to swipe my card on...

You need to protect yourselves and make sure that your letting the right places touch your cards.... How do you think that TJ Maxx was hacked? Insecure wireless communications...

The list goes on and on of how hackers get the data, its not your local script kiddies either its organized crime stealing this data....

If any of you have any questions about security please let me know so I can help...

cap

This is some great info you have here Captain. I'm sure this will come in handy to a few of the members here.

I was a victim of the TJMaxx / BJ's Wholesale fiasco. Unfortunately, my bank issued my new cards (I didn't lose any money) within a day or so of our family going to Disney. Tried to use my card at a store in the Downtown Disney Marketplace and they took it! :banghead: Of course I went a little off the wall because I wasn't yet aware I was a victim. I won't get into details but it wasn't pretty. :laugh: Dave and I then learned that our other cards weren't any good to us either. Fortunately we had the check book with us (our accounts were no longer frozen) and were able to cash a check at a bank.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I did get to speak with my Credit Union this morning (while hunkered down so my boss wouldn't hear). :whistle: There were some really random charges trying to process. The Visa Fraud People that called were legit, they were actually the fraud deptartment from my credit union. The lady at my local Pflugerville branch explained all the steps and how the process works, lots of paperwork. She told me that you can be as safe as possible and that the thieves will sometimes sit around and make up random numbers and run them all day until they find one that works and charges clear.
I now have access to my money but have to get a new debit card as the old one is obviously no more, although I am almost afraid to even "go there". I am left wondering if my number was one of the hacked ones?

Back