Victim of Bank Card Fraud

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone ever dealt with having their Visa Debit Card information violated (for lack of a better term)?

I checked my voicemail today only to have a message from Visa Fraud Services asking me to call them immediately regarding suspect charges on my credit union Visa Debit Card. I returned the call and low and behold someone had gotten ahold of my credit/debit card account information. I FEEL SICK!! I do not understand this because I have NEVER and I mean NEVER made and online transaction with this card. Maybe I am naive but I thought if you did not make online transactions that you were pretty much safe from this.

Apparently the thief started at 7:18 am trying to charge $1200 at a internet "telecommunications" company, then again at 7:19, 7:20 and so on at the same company until 7:25 am. None of the charges were allowed to go through at this telecommunications place, but they did get away with two charges for a couple of hundred dollars to an internet pharmacy and there is a pending charge to something listed as "Desert Arc".

So in the meantime this checking account is frozen/restricted and I am having to deal with a bunch of paperwork for the fraud. My question is, has anyone else dealt with a similar situation and how easy was it to resolve?

Any information would be great. Thanks.

Oh crap, I am very sorry. I hate thieves. I wish I could offer some advice, but at least you are not liable for the thefts.

I was dealing with Visa who is sending out the fraud paperwork. Tomorrow I have to deal with the actual credit union for the account issues, but when I sign on to my account online I can see the actual electronic "holds". When I spoke with Visa (they left a message and I called them back), they did not ask for any identifying info. I called and they knew me by my caller i.d. and asked if I had been making the following purchases. :(

I heard that waitresses at a restaurant can get you card info and use it. That could be a possibility. Sorry for your trouble. I hope the catch the thief and lock them away.

What a drag...I hope you get this ironed out fast. It's one of those things that makes it 'just one more thing to deal with'.

Good luck.

First tip.. ensure you are actually dealing with your bank. Call the number on the back of the card.. them calling you makes it sound a little suspicious!

That sucks, I just had a similar occurrence with a credit card. We checked with the place that the charge was made to first, within a couple of hours they informed us the transaction was made on a fraudulent account. We then called the card company, reported the incident at which time they froze that account and will be issuing a new card.

Pretty simple if it is just an isolated incident as it has become so common place. Make sure and also check your credit report to ensure there is not other activity as well as keep an eye on your accounts. This should be done regardless of whether or not you've had an incident.

Many times the crooks will use numbers at random until they find one that works, kind of a trial and error type thing. Other times, those that are harder to fix, the crook will somehow obtain your personal information and obtain a card or other credit with it. Or someone from a business where you use the card/account will thieve the information and use it.

A couple years back I was contacted by an investigator from the attorney generals office here in IL. I was told that a manager for a place where I had a loan more than 10 years prior had gotten my information from old files and opened an account. Being the manager he had done this to bump stats for the company, to show he was making loans and was using the proceeds to pay back the loans. Being a small company he was not reporting the loans to the credit bureaus so it never showed up on any credit reports. So sometimes even being careful and checking things out doesn't protect you either.

Good luck with it, as long as it is just that incident with that account it should be easily fixed.

The crooks usually get your information the low tech way - someone picks up your cc info from a trash can, or from your file in an office they work in. Or your mailbox.

Don't freak out too much. The damage is done. It hits everyone sooner or later.
Follow all the advice on how to get it fixed, and how to safeguard your info moving forward.

They busted the IHOP by me for stealing cc numbers and selling them. They did it for awhile, then they stole one from a cop.

You definitely don't have to use it on-line to have your info stolen. I've used my card on-line hundreds of times with no problems.

Last edited:
Sorry for the mess. I hope you get it straightened out soon!!!

Our Credit union puts a hold on our account everytime we use it out of town if I have not notified them before we go anywhere. It is kind of a pain on my part, but I rather do that than have to go through the alternative!!!

Anyone who uses plastic can be a victim, no matter how careful they are with their card information.

A few years ago, while working in my store, I had a "customer" walk in and attempt a purchase that seemed a little odd. Not yet odd enough to raise a red flag, but unusual. He was of Russian origin, and my previous experience with a group of Russian check counterfeiters makes me particularly sensitive to this group of people.

After I told him the total, he handed me a business credit card. As my suspicion was already elevated, I asked for ID. He complied with a smile, and the name on the card matched the name of Russian origin on the state issued driver's license.

As the receipt printed I noticed something odd. The name on the bottom of the charge slip was something definitely not Russian...something like "David Smith".

I said "I'm sorry sir, there seems to have been a problem with the card...can I see it again?"

He handed me the card again, and I noticed it was a Visa...while the numbers on the charge slip were from a MasterCard (all Visa numbers start with 4 while all MC numbers start with 5). I turned the card over to see if I could see any tampering with the magnetic stripe, and I couldn't.

At this point the "customer" must have realized I was on to something, even though I didn't know exactly what it was. He said "Never mind." and grabbed the card from my hand, then walked out of the store.

I was just standing there dumbfounded trying to make sense out of what had just happened, when I thought "I should get this guy's license plate number." I got it just as he was turning out onto the street.

As luck would have it, I was investigating an employee theft incident that day that ultimately required the involvement of a Sherrif's Department Detective. After that incident was resolved, I recounted the credit card story to the detective and asked if he'd had any experience with that. He said no, but he'd pass it along to someone.

About a half hour later I got a call from a Secret Service agent who was very interested in hearing the story. We met the next day, and I provided video footage and a statement.

About four months later I got a call from the local Sherrif's department detective who told me that because of the information I provided, they were able to put together a case and raid the business.

These guys were obtaining stolen card information, using a machine to record that information on their business credit cards, then driving around and charging their inventory to the stolen accounts. They'd sell the product in their store for cash.

The beauty of this almost perfect scam is that as a merchant, I probably wouldn't have learned I'd been ripped off until a month or two later when the cardholder contacted MasterCard, who then would have contacted me. By that time, it is unlikely I would have remembered any details of the transaction...and I'd have been out the $90 or so from the transaction.

Hey Kristen,
Did u hear on the news this morning where VISA or one of the major CC companies reported that hackers have inflitrated their system and been stealing CC data for a few weeks now! it was very brief segment but they said it was HUGE and would cost loads and loads of $$$ to clean up

If you are absolutely positive you didnt use it online and have it stolen that way, then i'll bet somehow your debit card numbers and CVV code might be with this company that got hacked.

Just a thought....
Had the same thing happen to me around 8 months ago...never had full proof but I almost know for a fact that it was a company I dealt with online that leaked my info. The fraudulent charges were made to a Sunglass Co here in states and a few advertising websites...all tangible items that were ordered were trying to be shipped to Korea.

Luckily most of the companies that this azzhat tried to buy stuff from were smart and didnt send the goods since he couldnt provide a matching billing address to the shipping address. Funny thing is, one of the advertising companies he used it with actually had this high tech fraud alert thing and actually rejected the transaction and credited my money back before I even realized my card # had been stolen.

Oh, and one more thing...I NEVER use my debit card online. Thats what I use my credit card for. I know people get way over their heads with CC's, but if your pretty frugal and consistent with paying it off every month, you save the hassle of having your bank acct frozen while the CC company investigates. Not sure where I learned that from, someone on here i think from way back when...was good advice though

Good luck!

Forgot to add, this individual/business, had successfully used this scam to supply over $40,000 worth of "inventory" for their business.

Back