Credit Card Frustrations

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ok, I'm about to vent...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: not as a consumer, but as a merchant.

The system is written to favor the consumer to the extreme. I'll give you two examples that I learned today:

1. AMEX: We just started taking AMEX. Ran a valid charge for $2100 order. Got an approval code. A MONTH LATER, it got charged back as being rejected for an Invalid card number. I found that shocking because we got an approval code, CCCV and address match with the approval code, and have our machine programmed to REJECT anything that does not match. Talking to the processor today, I find out that AMEX is different that VISA/MC (which will kick back mismatches at the terminal): As long as a 15-digit number is entered, and SOME of the numbers match (can't tell me exactly how many have to match), AMEX will APPROVE the charge, only to kick it back later (with a penalty). Never got a call, only found the error when reconciling bank where they took $2100 back out of our account. I suspect we manually entered the number wrong. But that also means, If I were intentionally trying to defraud someone, If I gave a AMEX number that was a few digits off, it might actuallly go thru and it would be easy to steal from someone. Don't understand this one bit.

2. A fairly new regular customer gave us his credit card, and told us to use it for future orders, as he's a few blocks away and wants us to deliver. At 9:30 AM, he called and placed an order for delivery today for a sheet of acrylic, cut to size (about $350). So we cut the sheet. Then he calls an hour later and cancels the order. When I call him and tell him that we've already cut the sheet and he's obligated to buy it, he gets mad and says he'll reject the charge. When I call the processor and ask them what I can do about it, they say "sorry, not much" because he can just deny he ever placed the order (yet, if it called to cancel it, how could have have placed it?). They also say unless you have IN WRITING, for EVERY ORDER, a SIGNATURE WITHIN 1/4 INCH your writting policy stating that there are no refunds once cut, they CC company will rule in favor of the consumer and take your money back. No signed agreement prior to the order will suffice.

VERY frustrating.

man that sucks, but sounds like its time to revamp how you do business. Sadly people have found loop holes in most of the systems out there to take advantage of people. And people wonder why mom & pop places are going more and more back to cash and carry and less with cards.

The 1st one makes no sense to me at all...its pretty messed up. The second one makes sense...your word against his. Now you know you can't take that person at thier word. Have them pay before materials are cut.

I understand your problem. To top it off thay take 3 to 4% OF YOUR SALE. You the merchant has to pay for the privelage of the customer to use his/her card. Tha's bu***hit. I hate credit card companies.:banghead:

The 1st one makes no sense to me at all...its pretty messed up. The second one makes sense...your word against his. Now you know you can't take that person at thier word. Have them pay before materials are cut.

Would not have mattered. Even if we ran his card before we cut, he could STILL refuse the order and get away with it.

The guy called back about 2 hours later with a change of heart. He's had people do the same to him before. He agreed to take it, and I told him that we'd be glad to cut it up for him anyway he wanted it for free, when he has a future need for it. I'm glad THAT one maybe worked out.

man that sucks, but sounds like its time to revamp how you do business. Sadly people have found loop holes in most of the systems out there to take advantage of people. And people wonder why mom & pop places are going more and more back to cash and carry and less with cards.

That's what i'm trying to figure out, is the alternatives. We have plenty of customers who regularly pay with their CC (and we charge them a higher price to make up for the cost of taking the card), but I AM concerned as to what additional risk this opens us up to. This is the first time in THOUSANDS of charges that I ever ran into this issue.

Doesn't American express charge a huge fee to the merchant when used? When I worked retail none of the places i worked at would take Amex. Good luck finding anyone who would accept Amex in this town.

I just wonder is the possible loss of business worth the possible loss of money due to Amex issues at the processing center? After all the people who wanted to use Amex always had another major credit card in their wallet.

Doesn't American express charge a huge fee to the merchant when used? When I worked retail none of the places i worked at would take Amex. Good luck finding anyone who would accept Amex in this town.

I just wonder is the possible loss of business worth the possible loss of money due to Amex issues at the processing center? After all the people who wanted to use Amex always had another major credit card in their wallet.

The AMEX fee is about twice what the VISA/MC processing charge is, which is why I have avoided it for years...And no, some ppl have nothing but AMEX. IN this customer's case, he gets free airmiles and he's insistent that he uses AMEX, EVEN IF we have to charge him a higher price to afford to take it.

P.S. It's against the Merchant contract to charging any fee for using a CC...but, ppl do it all the time...but - what they don't know is that, in some states, the convenience charge is TAXABLE....anyone that has ever been thru a state sales tax audit knows what kind of pain I am talking about...

Yea Amex is the worst for merchants. I make customers sign for EVERTHING! even customers that have been to the Hotel before and long term customers too, ya never know what might kick off and they decide not to pay for what ever reason.

That all sucks, Keith. Especially the first part. Thanks for sharing your lessons though. :thumbsup:

For issue #1, are you making enough profit because you have the AMEX machine? If the answer is yes, then welcome to the world of business. If your not making enough profit from that card, dump it.

For issue #2, let the customer cancel the order, but his next 10 orders up the price 10%, and you'll end up better off. Having a credit card on file with my customers helps make transactions short, sweet and profitable. Good luck.

For issue #1, are you making enough profit because you have the AMEX machine? If the answer is yes, then welcome to the world of business. If your not making enough profit from that card, dump it.

For issue #2, let the customer cancel the order, but his next 10 orders up the price 10%, and you'll end up better off. Having a credit card on file with my customers helps make transactions short, sweet and profitable. Good luck.

Issue #1: After 52 years, we're not exactly newbs to business - the hard part is that you have to KNOW UP FRONT how to customer intends to pay in order to price correctly. Most ppl do not know that the convenience fee not only violates the contract law, but also is taxable in most states.

Issue #2: We do keep card numbers on file (hard copy not in electrons) due to the liability ($10000 per instance) if those numbers get hacked or stolen from your system....PCI Compliance....

Back