The one that got away.

Nastee

Registered
The bike that got away. Tell us about the bike you sold & wish you hadn't. The one you crashed or totaled & still day dream about or the on that was sold before you could close the deal to be yours.

4383.jpeg

I bought a brand new GSXR1000K6 in Dec 2006, I rode it a lot for two and a half years and loved it, but I was getting a sore neck and wrists so decided to trade it on a KTM 950 Supermoto, I wanted the upright riding position and they are fun to ride, also the added bonus of staying at semi legal speeds.
So I lost $8K when I traded it, now 9 years later I wish I had never sold it, would love to have it in the garage next to the Busa, but 'twas not to be . .
and if I had kept it, who knows, I may never have tried out a Busa, and that would have been a crime !
So really, it's an exercise in futility looking back and regretting decisions made, at the time I was happy with my decision, so I'll just stay happy, by choice. :)

I wish I would have kept my 08 Busa. It was my favorite color. I had the dealer take off the gold wheels for black. That did not cost me. He switched them with another bike. It would have saved me a lot of cash rather than buying my 18 and 19 Busa.
Ne.JPG

Another is my 18 Road King. I just had so much money in it with accessories and all. It was a very nice looking bike. I lost too much $$ on it.
IMG_4649.JPG

For me it was a 1991 GSXR red & black 1100. I had totaled the same year blk/purple 750 about 19yrs prior. I worked with a guy who had a pristine 1100 that he said he wanted to sell. I spoke with him told him I would buy it at his price he said okay & shook on it. I got the VIN for the bank and made arrangements that Friday to have the loan by Monday agreed. Monday came I met Tom shock his hand again told him I had the $ for the bike & he just looked at me with a blank look. He then said "Yeah I sold that bike yesterday". I was so mad that he went against his word that I just walked away because I was so disappointed in his character & could not believe this had occurred and didn't want to say something I may regret later.

I had the GSXR1100 pre slingshot, 1987. Her name was Gladys. I named her after a not so pretty cashier, who was also blind in one eye, that gave me grief one day. Not everyone liked the look of the bike. But one head light intermittently worked, it was brash and unruly on the road, had bad smoking habits, and was big....like the the cashier.- Gladys I miss you baby.

pre.jpg

I wish I still had the 91 Gixx 1100 with a blower that I sold to buy the Busa. I never got it running right, had carb issues, but with today's fuel injection stuff it would have been a cool ride.
Mine never ran right either bro , because of carby supplied .
MV Agusta 1000 Senna Black 5000km , could of got it for around the same time and price as my L2 , but glad I got my Busa , because it was my most desired dream bike , and now it truly is built to that always dream stage .

Mine never ran right either bro , because of carby supplied .
MV Agusta 1000 Senna Black 5000km , could of got it for around the same time and price as my L2 , but glad I got my Busa , because it was my most desired dream bike , and now it truly is built to that always dream stage .
Mine had a 2 barrel mikuni blow through setup, throttle twist was longer than a whoer's dream and it refused to idle at anything less than 3k. I think with the standalone FI technology available today I could have built it into something streetable, different and fun. Plus, that bike is hands down my favorite body style.

Mine had a 2 barrel mikuni blow through setup, throttle twist was longer than a whoer's dream and it refused to idle at anything less than 3k. I think with the standalone FI technology available today I could have built it into something streetable, different and fun. Plus, that bike is hands down my favorite body style.
Yes , it was a twin mikuni , like an old jet ski carb or something . Sims and Rohm supplied the whole kit , but we got the run around , because they were busting up as business partners when I paid for mine . It was 1276cc , I got it breaking down badly at 6,000rpm on dyno test , made 165bhp at 6,000 , and then refused to rev on . The bike when I thought it was running okay , I drag raced it 1 run , it stretched the non o ring chain 2nd gear real bad , so turned it off and coasted 10.3 @ 89 mph .... I could really launch it though , used to beat other GSXR's on street trying to sort it . It was a nightmare though , and yes I could of got it going today with the fuel injection too I think . My 1340cc / RS40 I turned it into was much more fun after all that .

Yes , it was a twin mikuni , like an old jet ski carb or something . Sims and Rohm supplied the whole kit , but we got the run around , because they were busting up as business partners when I paid for mine . It was 1276cc , I got it breaking down badly at 6,000rpm on dyno test , made 165bhp at 6,000 , and then refused to rev on . The bike when I thought it was running okay , I drag raced it 1 run , it stretched the non o ring chain 2nd gear real bad , so turned it off and coasted 10.3 @ 89 mph .... I could really launch it though , used to beat other GSXR's on street trying to sort it . It was a nightmare though , and yes I could of got it going today with the fuel injection too I think . My 1340cc / RS40 I turned it into was much more fun after all that .
That's a similar scenario to mine. I ended up calling Billy Rohm and talking to him, Sims was into choppers by then. Billy was super nice and I probably could have got it right, but I got impatient and frustrated, so away it went. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been trying to get it right from OZ!

I miss my '86 750 Gixxer (red and black) and my '79 Yamaha Daytona...should have kept them both and put them away.

The guy who bought the Gixxer crashed it and wrote it off and the guy who bought the RD ran it out of injector oil and fried the engine (an engine that had a pile of money and time in it).

Funny thing actually! Up until just about a year ago, I woulda been posting up bout my Busa. I truly thought I would never get it back and I sat on my hands for so long. I can’t even recall what it was that drew me to the impound lot where it was being held hostage but seeing it there all battered and bruised ignited a spark and I fought long and hard! So basically the bike that got away was not my Busa. I have only owned one other bike and that was a GSXR 600 K6 which I don’t miss. (Although for some reason that bike was a chick magnet was prob the color, that oearl blue and white)

I do however wish that I had the bike I learned to ride on which was my dads 2002 Buell Lightning X1. It wasn’t very fast, and didn’t sound very sporty but it was light and nimble though. It was just a blast to toss around...when my dad moved on to his softail we would ride together. I didn’t consult with him prior to buying my Suzuki GSXR 600 and He eventually sold it because I no longer rode it and I think he was a little flustered about it.
The one day he and I spoke about it I told him I didn’t like the GSXR either and 2 days later he and I went to the dealer and drew up the paperwork on my Busa.

I had to sell my '07 R7 because my now ex wife lost her job. Full titanium TiForce exhaust, GPR stabilizer, and PC3. Was so much fun to ride. Dont regret my Gen 2 Hayabusa though. Not even for a second.

R7!!!
How many of those came to the U.S?
Those things are rare here.

Back