Sold A Bike, Now I Have A Question...

How far would you go to make it right for the buyer?

• Buy him a new battery.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Cover half the cost of a new battery.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • No warranty expressed or implied. Sorry, but he's on his own.

Votes: 50 64.1%

• Total voters
If the guy was on the way home from buying the bike, then I would buy a battery. But if it's a few days later I wouldn't. Stuff happens when you buy used sometimes.

Does he ride? Does he know bikes? It "is" a used bike. If it is the batt he should step up to the plate and man up on a batt, on his own. If it runs out of gas do you get a call? Where does it end? He owns the bike now.

its only 70 bucks.... its good karma to just buy the guy a new one... kinda like "paying it forward"... someone could do it for you, or he may do it to the guy he sells the bike to..

but thats just me.

If you just sold it to him and he rode down the road and the battery died... I would at min go halfs on a new one with him. Karma my friend... think about the tables being turned... what would you want him to do? If I bought your bike and drove it down the road and it died, at that point I would be frustrated. Like others say charge it for him and go from there...

I told him to call me when he came up with something, but haven't heard from him since. He probably just left the switch on and drained the battery. Oh well.
Thanks for all the input, everybody. :beerchug:

if it was a busa, buy him a new one. if a suzuki but not a busa, sahre cost. honda etc... hang up!

no seriously, if you believe you've done enough on the price, and I mean really done enough, and not try to rip him off, then sharing should do the trick. If you had 1 % of an idea that battery was expiring soon, then buy him one. If you think you've done enough and cant do more, it's always great to explain yourself and that the bike was doing great adn to his bad luck it failed on him. Don't just hang up!

if it was a busa, buy him a new one. if a suzuki but not a busa, sahre cost. honda etc... hang up!

no seriously, if you believe you've done enough on the price, and I mean really done enough, and not try to rip him off, then sharing should do the trick. If you had 1 % of an idea that battery was expiring soon, then buy him one. If you think you've done enough and cant do more, it's always great to explain yourself and that the bike was doing great adn to his bad luck it failed on him. Don't just hang up!

I think I gave him a great deal on the bike and all the extras. The bike was a 2006, and the battery was that old. BUT was never charged until I bought the bike NEW from a dealer in May 2008. So, it was only a year old in that respect. I don't know a whole lot about batteries, but it seems to me like it should still be fine. Oh, and I never had any trouble with it. He knew that it was original to the bike and that all I had ever changed was the oil & filter. It only had 3600 miles, so really nothing else was needed.

Tell him make sure the kickstand is up and not in gear, then try it again.

He probably killed that battery himself in 2 days and now want you to fix that.

Almost every new rider Ive seen forgot to turn ignition off or leave their light on.

You should explain to him that bike battery not like car battery and will die quick if left discharging. You can charge that battery for him one more time and clean terminals as good will gesture.

What is wrong with people?! They want new stuff for a price of used.
What part SOLD AS IS UUUUSED vehicle don`t you understand!?:moon:

Back