Just Curious... What Bikes Do You Wish You Hadn't Missed Out On?

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
oRg'sters -
I was having a conversation with a friend from work about scooters and he was telling me how much he wished he had bought a CBR 600 F4i back in the '90s. It got me thinking... what bikes do you all wish that you hadn't missed out on? I don't mean what bikes do you drool over now, like a Confederate or a YZF-M1 - I mean, are there any regular consumer level bikes that you wish you hadn't passed up the opportunity for?

For me, there are three:
After I got rid of my red and white '89 Hurricane 600, I really wanted to replace it with a 1990 ZX-10. I really liked the Red and Black paint scheme and just thought they were awesome scoots. I opted instead for a Blue, Black and Orange '93 GSXR 600. I did this in part to help out a friend - she was a great scoot.

When I gave the GSXR to my ex-wife in the 1997, I was faced with a choice: a 1992 ZX-7R (this had been my absolute dream machine for about 5 years), a 1997 GSXR-1100 or a 1997 ZX-11D... I bought the 11D and it stands out as the single worst motorcycling mistake that I have ever made (besides putting panties on VaBs' Ceasar). I sold that bike less than 6 months later.

Back in '08, just before deploying for what would be my last time, I had the opportunity to by a 2007 Duc 999S (Parts Unlimited scheme)... at the time, it was a lot of money for an absolutely beautiful machine... the timing wasn't right and I had to pass on the deal.

Today, if I came across either the 7X-7R or the 999s, I would probably jump at the deal - actually, in the future, I would probably jump at both of them...

How about you all?

MCM

The bike I now own is the bike I wish that I hadn't missed out on... let me explain.

In 2009, my friend Karl let me try his '08 'Busa... it blew my mind and I wanted one! I looked at the new 'Busas and fell in love with the silver/grey one but bought a 2001 'Busa instead as I couldn't justify the cash outlay for the new bike. Since then, I progressed through a 2005 'Busa, a couple of B-Kings, a Zx-14 :hide:, and a few others (I tend to always have two or three bikes in my collection at any one time... it's a sickness!) but somehow never found myself with a Gen2 Hayabusa. I still can't figure out why! My last bike was my second B-King which I got through a trade+cash deal on a TL1000R I had and wouldn't you know it, it piqued Rubb's interest! Next thing I knew, another trade+cash deal was done and I finally had my silver/grey Gen2 Hayabusa. Thank you Andy! :bowdown:

I think back now at all the money I spent on bikes since my first 'Busa ride and I could have saved myself a TON of cash had I just bought the new 1340 back in 2009... hindsight remains 20/20! :withstupid:

I have been truly blessed throughout my life and have owned more than my share of bikes. After owning a MV Agusta F4RR I can say my love affair with the Italians is over. However I also owned an 09 R1 which I truly loved. The bike I will own next will be a new R1, the amazing sound of that cross plain engine is wonderful and handling is fantastic. Not looking backwards in time on missed bikes just looking forward on new opportunities. The new technology is Great!

Always wanted a Bimota! Specifically a 1985 SB5 (GS1150 Powered). But really any Bimota would do. Then there was the 1983 Honda CB1100F. I drove clear to Libby Montana to test ride one, got home and bought my 1985 GS1150ES. Also would have loved one of Kenny Dreers Nortons too.

Now a Hayabusa powered Bimota...ah never mind.
bimota-sb5-1985_1.jpg

honda-lead.jpg

Kenny-952Beta-300.jpg

Last edited:
CB1100 is a good one!
My '06 white limited has always been a favorite of mine.
I would love a rd400, cbx, any of the last few generations of vfr's and my cb750 resto mod would be on a wish list. The new triumph thruxton and a bmw 1000 are cool bikes too.
I've passed twice on vfr's for busa's but would love to own one someday.
My buddy has a cbx1000 that is sitting because he's planning to restore it but that would be a fun bike to have. I wouldn't look forward to tuning the carbs or adjusting the valves on the six cylinder bad boy.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TL1000R... but that was before the first Busa came out. I was a total newb to bikes back then. Thought it just looked cool.

image.jpeg
The carbs and valves aren't that much of a problem. Not that frequent either. I've had this one for 16 years. Had an 82 also. I've been lucky having owned a new original CB750-4 (the fast one) but always wanted a 903 Z1. After riding one I also wanted an X6 Hustler, the baddest 250 2 stroke ever, that outran every 350 around. Loved the looks and sound of a Dunstall Norton Cafe Racer too. Rode a Bonneville frequently in the 60s but never owned one. Liked the looks of the high fender Honda SL 350 in gold and would've loved to have owned one of those fast fast six speed Pentons, and a 400 Maico and maybe a Bultaco Pursang and a 441 Victor...sigh......but, I still have a first year CBX that runs great and a gorgeous 06 LE.

Agreed. Something about the Dreer Nortons that just looks more appealing than the current production bikes.

image.jpeg
I've bought parts from Bill Brint @ Tims before and everything CBX is expensive. Surprisingly, it's even more expensive to restore an early CB750! Mine looked like this one but was in a garage fire in the mid 80s. I loved that bike! It was my first new bike purchase.

I can't think of a bike I would want more than my current lineup, except if it was a movie replica bike I guess.
Say like something from akira, tron, easy rider, etc....
Always wanted a 90's kawi r900 though.
Maybe one of those big cc 2 strokes from the 70's like in the first mad max movie

The more I think about it I will add 2 more to my wish list. First a Munch Mammut 2000. I have no logical reason just always wanted one. Kawasaki bragging about the supercharged H2 would do well to acknowledge Freidel Munchs efforts more than a decade earlier. The other would be a Honda NR750, in all its oval pistoned opulence!

fearsome-four-clymer-munch-mammoth-classic-german_6.jpg
honda-nr750-10.jpg

Back