The dreaded Clutch pushrod seal.

a1300r

Registered
Sorry if this has been done before.............

I have been recommissioning my 1999 Gen 1 and have been renewing all the seals, bearings etc.

The clutch slave cylinder kit I purchased had a pushrod seal in the package so stupid me thought it must be easy to change if the kit supplies one.

How wrong was I. After wrecking the seal and searching the net I realised that it is a major strip to fit the seal.

After looking at different work arounds I have managed to fix it without dismantling. So far no leaks.

I purchased a load of different size seals from Lancashire Seals and have used the following sizes after a small grind of of the lip that is on the casing.

TTO 6 x 26 x 7 R23/TC £0.75

TTO 16 x 29 x 7 R23/TC £0.75

Original push rod seal 6 x 34 x 5.5.

Mannol RTV sealant.

Turn the 6 x 26 x 7 seal so it faces the casing and put inside the 16 x 29 x 7 seal.

Put plenty of RTV around the seals and push into the location.

The casing has a 10mm gap. The seals that are pushed together have around 10mm.

Then trim off the lip off the original pushrod seal so it is flat.

Using the pushrod as a guide stick the modified seal onto the outside of the casing.

Leave to set with the pushrod in place.

Using this method you have a double pushrod seal and it also looks neat.

Images below showing seal inside the other one

IMG_20230804_160327_060.jpg

IMG_20230804_160323_898.jpg

IMG_20230804_160333_105.jpg

IMG_20230804_160340_816.jpg

IMG_20230804_160313_643.jpg

IMG_20230804_160740_273.jpg

Welcome to the forum @a1300r.

I can appreciate that you are refreshing all of the aged, rotted rubber. Then the bike will be good to go for yet another very long time.

How long have you owned this bike, a long time? Which color scheme do you have?

I just had mine roll off of the kickstand. I was terrified that the shifter and pushrod might have gotten injured, but this area appears to be within the raidius of the fairings and peg that took the brunt.

Sorry if this has been done before.............

I have been recommissioning my 1999 Gen 1 and have been renewing all the seals, bearings etc.

The clutch slave cylinder kit I purchased had a pushrod seal in the package so stupid me thought it must be easy to change if the kit supplies one.

How wrong was I. After wrecking the seal and searching the net I realised that it is a major strip to fit the seal.

After looking at different work arounds I have managed to fix it without dismantling. So far no leaks.

I purchased a load of different size seals from Lancashire Seals and have used the following sizes after a small grind of of the lip that is on the casing.

TTO 6 x 26 x 7 R23/TC £0.75

TTO 16 x 29 x 7 R23/TC £0.75

Original push rod seal 6 x 34 x 5.5.

Mannol RTV sealant.

Turn the 6 x 26 x 7 seal so it faces the casing and put inside the 16 x 29 x 7 seal.

Put plenty of RTV around the seals and push into the location.

The casing has a 10mm gap. The seals that are pushed together have around 10mm.

Then trim off the lip off the original pushrod seal so it is flat.

Using the pushrod as a guide stick the modified seal onto the outside of the casing.

Leave to set with the pushrod in place.

Using this method you have a double pushrod seal and it also looks neat.

Images below showing seal inside the other one

View attachment 1669475

View attachment 1669476

View attachment 1669477

View attachment 1669478

View attachment 1669479

View attachment 1669480
Welcome, always good to see another one pulled out of the abyss...

Looks like from the photos you have your hands full...

Welcome to the forum @a1300r.

I can appreciate that you are refreshing all of the aged, rotted rubber. Then the bike will be good to go for yet another very long time.

How long have you owned this bike, a long time? Which color scheme do you have?

I just had mine roll off of the kickstand. I was terrified that the shifter and pushrod might have gotten injured, but this area appears to be within the raidius of the fairings and peg that took the brunt.
I have owned it 17 years. It was originally Grey and Black but the first owner put it down the road. I rebuilt it then and changed the colour to pearl white as per the limited model of 2006-7.

It was on the road from 2007 until 2008 then failed the MOT in 2009 so I put it away.

Finally I have got around to re-commissioning and am nearing completion.

24600 miles from new so nice and low.

Back