The 82 katana and the 05 turbo 'busa

230@3psi

Registered
In 1981, I saw the 1000 and 1100 Katanas sitting in a show room -- it was love at first sight, I wanted one of those big bad Kats!  Up until that time, my riding experience was a Brigs and Straton powered mini-bike at age 14-16.  I had not ridden two wheeled machines for more than six years; therefore, I allowed reason to dictate my selection, a GS450E.

In 1984, opportunity once again knocked.  The local newspaper listed a 1982 German spec'd GSX1100 Katana, a few days latter it was mine.  That was twenty-two years ago.  Since that time I have owned a few other bikes, but I have never let go of my Katana, the motorcycle that began the fairing craze.  Here is a picture:

82katrear.jpg

In 1999, I experienced the same love at first sight.  This time it was the copper colored Hayabusa -- my heart longed for this work of art.  In 2005, a red and black turbo 2005 was listed on EBay -- in two hours, it too was mine:

rightfnt.jpg

This bike is a true hyper-bike.  I feel the grim reaper's breath each time I turn up the boost and twist the throttle – metamorphically, the Hayabusa becomes that nuclear bomb that Slim Pickens rode into the heart of the evil empire in the 1960's movie classic Dr. Strangelove, and I am Slim Pickens – Yea-Haaaa.

rightfnt.jpg

This bike is a true hyper-bike.  I feel the grim reaper's breath each time I turn up the boost and twist the throttle – metamorphically, the Hayabusa becomes that nuclear bomb that Slim Pickens rode into the heart of the evil empire in the 1960's movie classic Dr. Strangelove, and I am Slim Pickens – Yea-Haaaa.
In the words of my next door neighbor Shabula Jones , "YOU CRAZY" . Welcome Home brother your in the right place here.

great to go back to "da day"

could you also send the manual that explains how to get your spouse to support your motorcycle spending habits! lol

My first sport bike was an '89 1100 Katana. Loved that bike more than words can say. We put a 1260 kit in it and some other basics and by the time we were done, we had a smokin' hot sleeper bike that would take nearly anything on the road.

Of course, I know next to nothing about the mechanics of it but I will say this: When I bought the Busa, it was a good large step up but not THAT huge!
wink.gif

--Wag--

Wow, that bike brings back memories!! I ended up wih a 1982 GS1100e the year I got out of high school. My brother had the Katana. They were the `busa's of the 80's

I was born in 1983 so i have no clue about these bikes.What kind of top speed were they capable of? Did have have 6 gears as well as a starter or did you need to kick start it? I know older bikes were all air cooled.

I was born in 1983 so i have no clue about these bikes.What kind of top speed were they capable of? Did have have 6 gears as well as a starter or did you need to kick start it? I know older bikes were all air cooled.
Top speed of that bike is 140 mph and probably only limited by gearing (sprocket swap would probably push it well past 160 mph). Trans is a 5 speed although 6 speed was nothing new back then on other bikes. Very few bikes from the early 80's had kick start and when they did it was only a backup to the electric starter. My little 1976 CB360 had a 6 speed trans with both electric and kick start.

All bikes were not air cooled back then. My '82 and '83 Honda CXT V-twins are liquid cooled, shaft drive, electronic fuel injected and turbo charged bone stock from the factory. The multimap ECU used in my CXTs performs so many functions it makes the Busa's ECU look like an ancient abacus in comparison. They also make a hellava a lot more HP per liter than the Busa or ZX14.

V65 Magnas and CBXs were two other bad ass bikes from that era. I doubt there's too many (if any at all) cruisers made today that can hold a candle to the Magna.

Back