Katana 600

doodoggy

Registered
Hey.

Need input on the Katana 600. What do you think of it as a bike, overall? And is it as heavy as they say it is, compared to bikes in its class, not to bikes like the Busa?

Appreciate your help. I don't mind any other information/opinions on the bike.

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: "lalala"|1125284922 -->

My wife has ridden one for about 2 years. I ride it occasionally also.

My impression. I'm fat, (6'4" 250#) so the power is just not there. However, It is fun to play in the upper power band. You can bang 1,2,3 and 4th against the rev limiter, and still not be at "license losing" speed. It does require a jet kit, filter, and full exhaust as soon as possible. Stock the engine SUCKS.

It is heavy (for a 600) but not terribly so. It can rail in the corners, but not as predictable as a true race 600. She had it up at the gap at the last busa bash and didn't have a problem. There was another board member up there on a kat (Jeremy, granpawbusa's son) and he seemed to do very well. He has since moved up to a GSXR600.

Price: 3-4 grand aint bad. Reliability is excellent. Brakes are decent. Ride is comfy. There was one "Mod" that I had to do to cut the vibes at the grips. I filled the clip-ons with #9 lead shot, which helped considerably. Too bad the busa's clip-ons are one solid peice.

my 2 cents worth,

Chris

The Katana is a great bike. I had one before I got my busa. You can not realy complain about the bike because it is good for all purposes, but doesn't shine in any one area. Yes the Bike is every bit as heavy as they say it is, but still functions exceptionaly well at speeds and twisties.
I ride with a lot of liter bikes and super sports. I would keep up on the highway until it got passed 148 (fastest I could get the Kat to go) and the twisties would work until they started draggin knees. Once we got in the corners I could keep them in view.... but distance would be formened.
I highly recommend that you go to the 750 katana. I think that you would probably be happier longer. The 600 always felt realy underpowered to me. But the 750 realy balanced nicely waking up a whole heap at 7000 RPM's
It is a perfect beginner bike (the 600, the 750 might be a little much for someone that is new and maybee unsure) and a good bike for an intermediate rider, however the intermediate might get bored after a year or so, pending on what he/she wants out of the bike. It will either give you a taste for a full blown cruiser, full blown sport bike, our you'll end up with the Busa like me. (Remember when you want to upgrade from the Kat the busa is built off the katana platform.)
But the kat would do you well, for what ever your purposes and number of riders. But definetly go 750 if you plan on tandum riding on a frequent basis. One last thing, get ready for the jokes from everybody i.e. "why don't you get a cruiser,sport bike, busa,... whatever" Just remeber the point of the Kat is to try and do everything well, not be the best at any one thing, and for that reason you can not beat the katana. Good luck.

Appreciate all the feedback.

What's pulling me towards the Katana is the fact that they're supposed to handle well both on touring, and on street riding.

Speed is not so much of an issue for me. I don't think I'd ever go up to 150. Too scared. Well, not on a public highway at least. What I do need is acceleration though.

I wanted to stick with something small. I have riding experience, and can handle power. My first choice was a GS500F. But then my brother recommend looking at a 600cc instead. The SV650 is a no-no because of the lack of fairing. Don't want a gixxer, 600 or 750, too much power, and not what I'm looking for. No need for a race bike.

Right now, it appears I'm torn between the Kat 600 and the 750. I like the price on the Kat, and unless I have more and stronger reasons to pick the 750, I'll probably go ahead and get the 600.

SpeedAdict, your help has been valuable. Would appreciate it if you could assist me more with the decision., you being a former Katana rider yourself.

I probabably won't keep the bike longer than 3 years though. Will probably move up to a Sprint ST, or some other sport tourer within my budget, and then several years down, consider getting a Busa.

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: "Your mom"|1125288673 -->

I would get a used kawasaki zzr600. Better than the katana in every way and yet still is very touring oriented and comfortable. It is not a NINJA 600, it is a zzr600.

Best bike for your needs in my opinion.

Hey...

yeah...i've been doing my homework for a long time.

Already looked at the zzr600, but I'd prefer a Suzuki, and the zzr 600 is not within my price range. Just a tad too expensive.

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125290545 -->

First bike I ever owned was a Kat 600. Thinking back it is heavy , but not unbearingly so. You may not have a speed issue, but it does lack power. I took mine for some long rides with fellas runnin' dirtbikes on the street, so I was always able to blow past them but otherwise I was just a number for someone. Seating was comfortable and for distance was fine. Helped me learn a lot about how to ride.

go with a yamaha fz1 or fz6, i too love suzukis more then any other bike, but those yamahas i mentioned are great, i have the fz1(very comfy) and if you dont want that much power the 6 is nice too, fuel injected under seat exhaust. check em out. i had a katana for my first bike, u will get dissapointed with the power after a month or so.

I ride a 01 katana 750. I love it for what it is.. an all-around bike. The body positioning is great for long rides, and yet aggresive enough for hitting the twisties.

The power is good. I ride with 2 groups. Busas and track racers. With either I'm in the back of the pack, but can keep them in eyesight.. If we ride with a larger more diverse group, I can hang in the middle with no problems.

The 750 is great for tandem riding. I used to ride on the back of it when it was my husbands, and it rode us both in the twisties and the open road. And neither one of us are "petite".

I would think you would get bored with a 600 after, say.... 6 months or so. I'd suggest getting the 750.

go with a yamaha fz1 or fz6, i too love suzukis more then any other bike, but those yamahas i mentioned are great, i have the fz1(very comfy) and if you dont want that much power the 6 is nice too, fuel injected under seat exhaust. check em out. i had a katana for my first bike, u will get dissapointed with the power after a month or so.
I was considering the Fz-6. It seems like a good bike, and it has a good price tag on it. The thing I don't like is the lack of fairings. I plan to take my baby out for rides up to 8 hours long. I want something comfortable.

I do like the Zuks for their reliability. Oil cooling is another definite big plus for me. Speed, like I said is not really an issue. I won't be taking it on to the track. What I do really want it acceleration. Definetely a vital thing. I could manage with a bike that's sluggish on the pick up, like a H*nda Shadow, but I want something that'll allow me to get from A to B, in under 3 million years.

Appreciate the help...but I still need input on the acceleration thing.

Define acceleration. Will it get from 0-60 faster than a car? Yes, it will but it doesn't have the power to get there much quicker. In a pinch when you need that little extra it might leave you hangin'.

No. I just mean, will it be able to pull away from a stoplight quickly. Quickly would be, yes, faster than a car.

I loved mine. Wish I never got rid of it! Kat 600. I BELIEVE it was a 93 or so. gorgeous red/purple/silver paint. not the fastest.......but I still loved it!

Wow...I guess I'm really torn between the two bikes.

I guess I'll just have to go down to the dealers and test ride the both of em.

I'll probably PM a couple of you to get more input. Let you all know when I've made my decision.

Supers right.....you may not think you crave any power now...but before very long at all you'll be wanting to upgrade, I guarantee it
wink.gif
tounge.gif

I was considering the Fz-6. It seems like a good bike, and it has a good price tag on it. The thing I don't like is the lack of fairings. I plan to take my baby out for rides up to 8 hours long. I want something comfortable.

I do like the Zuks for their reliability. Oil cooling is another definite big plus for me. Speed, like I said is not really an issue. I won't be taking it on to the track. What I do really want it acceleration. Definetely a vital thing. I could manage with a bike that's sluggish on the pick up, like a H*nda Shadow, but I want something that'll allow me to get from A to B, in under 3 million years.

Appreciate the help...but I still need input on the acceleration thing.
You're not hearing what we're saying....all us seasoned riders are telling you........its sloooww. You will be bored within weeks. Unless you keep it wound up ALL the time EVERYwhere its sloowww...and even then its slooww. Hope this helps
wink.gif

I had a friend of mine who owned a katana... didnt like it!!!

Didnt like the powerband... didnt like the styling!! Being 300 Lbs ... the weight of the bike was not much of a issue though. I rode it only once, so all im saying are my one and only ride impressions!!

I had a Kat 600 before I got the Bus. As far as the acceleration, I beat a slightly modded mustang 5.0 off the line. So it doesn't accelerate too horribly.

Back