thapp and my stereo installers, question please.

Yes sir, the wire that should go to the hand brake goes to ground.

The particular model I have is a NavTool and they have a dedicated switch that goes between nav and video.

I reread your post and you said that the instructions specifically called out the "hot" side of the parking brake?

Yes sir, the wire that should go to the hand brake goes to ground.

The particular model I have is a NavTool and they have a dedicated switch that goes between nav and video.

I reread your post and you said that the instructions specifically called out the "hot" side of the parking brake?

Heavy, the instructions state: "this lead must be connected to the power supply side if the parking brake."
Posted via Mobile Device

I am seriously confused now. If all else fails, I can plug in the harness, insert a dvd and see it it plays. If not I can take that lead to ground and see if it plays. I am scared to put 12 volts on it and damage the unit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its going to need the switched ground based on what I've read online and with my own experience.

Got it. Thank you for clarifying. I just want to be careful and do it right. Thanks Heavy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Understood, the best way to learn is from others... I searched the phrase "the power supply side if the parking brake" and also the model number of your radio with "installation" and read a few of the threads like the one I posted and they all said the same thing.

Install it with a switch to ground.

have you actualy hooked it up and are now having problems? or are you just trying to avoid any possible problems?

You should need to hook that into a ground. I haven't installed that particular unit, but this a common feature for in dash DVD. Apparently after a search you cannot just ground it like older models, you either have to used a switched ground or (stole this from another site, may be what you are looking for)i have a 3100 i used a relay 87 and 85 ground 86 remote wire from radio( blue/white) 30 to light green brake wire on the radio.hope this helps

Last edited:
ummm if it just needs switched power from the truck then hook it to the switched power on the deck. Not to the 12v constant. This should serve the purpose and you then dont need to hunt for a wire.

You should need to hook that into a ground. I haven't installed that particular unit, but this a common feature for in dash DVD. Apparently after a search you cannot just ground it like older models, you either have to used a switched ground or (stole this from another site, may be what you are looking for)i have a 3100 i used a relay 87 and 85 ground 86 remote wire from radio( blue/white) 30 to light green brake wire on the radio.hope this helps

From my understanding you need it switched and not constant grounded. Because, in order to view DVDs on this deck, you must set the parking brake, release it, and then reset the brake again. The switch mimics that and fools the head unit. Or, as I have been reading, installing the bosh relay will do the same thing and not have a switch you need to toggle.

I don't have your wiring schematic, but the "power" side of the parking brake switch is probably on the ground side of the circuit. That hookup will only provide ground to the radio head when the the brake switch is closed.

I don't have your wiring schematic, but the "power" side of the parking brake switch is probably on the ground side of the circuit. That hookup will only provide ground to the radio head when the the brake switch is closed.

Correct Dennis, and that is what I needed. I am fixing to post another thread of the install.

OK JAMES SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN ON IN A COUPLE OF DAYS and missed this post
should've just called me you do have my number ya know!!!? could have told you to put a switch that goes to ground on the parking brake wire and be done

If you do that you have to put a toggle switch in line to trick it into thinking the brake has been applied. And you have have to flip the switch everytime the vehicle is started. There is a better way.

no when it is hooked to a hot wire it thinks that the parking brake is on... this is the easiest and basically the only way, some of the head units have a code that u can put in also

Back