thapp and my stereo installers, question please.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys, I have a DVD receiver I am installing, and I have a remote interlock wire that detects the parking brake circuit and will disable the dvd player from working if the parking brake is not set. My question is how do I bypass this? The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. The wire has a wire clamp that is supposed to connect to the hot side of the parking brake switch.

I just know someone will know this.

There are a couple of ways, I'll let someone who speaks electronics better than me have a shot first. But I assure you it's very simple, I did one with a friend last year.

just hook it to a hot wire

If you do that you have to put a toggle switch in line to trick it into thinking the brake has been applied. And you have have to flip the switch everytime the vehicle is started. There is a better way.

Ok guys, I have a DVD receiver I am installing, and I have a remote interlock wire that detects the parking brake circuit and will disable the dvd player from working if the parking brake is not set. My question is how do I bypass this? The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. The wire has a wire clamp that is supposed to connect to the hot side of the parking brake switch.

I just know someone will know this.

Wow that sounds like a stupid safety feature. Never had to deal with that in my car audio days so unfortunately I am no help :-(. I hope sixpack gets you the answer

Well, I am installing this in my pickup, so the DVD will be seen from the back seat too, or ipod video or whatever. I have a Ford truck and I have 4 aux switches on my dash that would be a 1 wire hook up to my glove box, flip on the switch that is already there and instant 12v power. I just dont want to fry my new head unit. These are located next to the integrated brake controller, 07 F250.

I'm digging, looking to see where else on your vehicle this could be connected without throwing a code, keeping your parkbrake light on, or burning it to the ground:laugh:
06 F250 I assume?

I'm digging, looking to see where else on your vehicle this could be connected without throwing a code, keeping your parkbrake light on, or burning it to the ground:laugh:
06 F250 I assume?

07 F250, King Ranch

Well, I am installing this in my pickup, so the DVD will be seen from the back seat too, or ipod video or whatever. I have a Ford truck and I have 4 aux switches on my dash that would be a 1 wire hook up to my glove box, flip on the switch that is already there and instant 12v power. I just dont want to fry my new head unit. These are located next to the integrated brake controller, 07 F250.

You won't fry the unit. The 12volt power supply with toggle switch is a crude way but explains simply what you want to accomplish. When hooked to the park brake it allows power to the screen when it detects it engaged. If you were to loop the sensor that detects the brake on, it would work all the time, but unfortunately tell the truck the park brake was always on. Know what I mean? I'm trying to find a cicuit you could use on that particular model that will serve the same purpose.

Thank you very much Six, I appreciate you digging for it. If all it needs is 12v power, then why couldnt I just connect it to the switched power source. Or does the unit only need power when I want to use the DVD player and not constant power? Here are the switches I am referring too.

switch 034.jpg

Sorry, my wife needed the computer, I going back to looking. And yes, you could use one of those switches, but that means you have flip it everytime. What I'm looking for is one of the many circuits that turn on and off upon starting the truck. That way you can just tap into 1 wire and it will cycle itself, no flipping switches. I'm looking at a couple, but I definately want to be sure. Let me see what I come up with.

I cant seem to determine if it needs ground or power. I saw a relay option and a switch option, but they both go to ground. Can you please confirm that? I hate to put power on a ground.

I cant seem to determine if it needs ground or power. I saw a relay option and a switch option, but they both go to ground. Can you please confirm that? I hate to put power on a ground.

It needs power, with it installed correctly the disengaged park brake simply breaks your connection.
I have a couple of suspect locations but I'm not willing to say for sure. My friend has an 08 F350 which uses the same wiring harness. He is also a master electrician and a good mechanic, I would prefer to talk with him tommorrow rather than an educated guess.
One thing you can safely try is the pink 12volt power to switch wire in the factory harness. It's cycle as the key is turned into position may do the trick. If you also bought the factory harness connection to wire to your aftermarket radio, just slide the parkbrake wire into the pin location of the pink wire and see.

Run the wire to an ignition wire and bypass the wire u use to hook to the parking break.

Again, that requires a toggle switch. And it must be flipped, and then flipped back. It's a simple design, but unless you flip a switch as stated, then you need a power source that cyles on and off with the starting of the truck. Making it think that the brake was disengaged, and then set again.

I'm sorry I couldn't help Twotone, but if this isn't resolved, I'll check with my friend tommorrow and find the wire you need.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I just put something like this in my Acura, in most cases if its originally designed to run off of the parking brake it needs a ground.

So I have a switch in my console that interrupts the ground.

Last edited:
So to be clear, I just need to run a ground to a switch and take the interlock wire to the switch and toggle to make it work?

Thanks for looking Six, I know you spent some time on it. Please let me know what you find out tomorrow.

Back