Scorpio i300 for 09 Install

DanaAnneWA

Registered
I figured I would post the pics and steps from my scorpio i300 install (with disabling device) for the 09 busa, since I havent seen this model/year posted yet in the forums.

First step was to find a suitable spot for the alarm. I picked the spot right on top of the ecu, and directly under the rear of the seat. It fit perfectly under the stock tail as long as it was dead center so the plastic fasteners holding the two halves of the tail together dont hit the alarm.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156115&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

Next step was to wire it up. I had ordered the harness for the 09 busa (its the SUZ-6) along with the scorpio so it was very easy. It hooks right in between the stock tail light connector and the taillight. I threw all the wire tap stuff right into the trash per the instructions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156116&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

Next was to install the disabling device (also known as the anti-hijack unit). There seems to be a lot of confusion on the forums as to which is the best place to wire this in, and some concerns about the device malfunctioning, so I chose to use the fuel pump relay, and also to wire in a bypass switch mounted in the tail compartment so i am not left stranded somewhere if it ever misbehaves. Here is the bypass switch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156120&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

Here it is from the back side of the switch. The disabling device is to the left.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156118&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

The wiring for the bypass switch is pretty easy. Its a SPST on/off automotive toggle I got at the local radio shack, rated 12v/40amps. It can just be tapped into the wires leading to the fuel pump relay. When the switch is off, the RID has control. When the switch is on, the RID is bypassed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156117&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

From a strictly technical standpoint, to wire into the fuel pump relay, it actually doesn't matter which of the 4 wires on the relay is interrupted. I used the red/blue wire, which connects the relay to the 10amp fuel fuse in the fuse box, because this is what scorpio recommended to prevent possible limiter problems. The fuel relay is on the left side of the bike, right next to the battery. To the right of the fuel relay is the main relay and fuse. They are actually mounted on the same bracket. There isn't a lot of wiggle to cut the wire and connect the ends to the black wires from the RID. but I found that unbolting the metal bracket holding the fuel pump relay and main relay/fuse, it was easy to pull the relay off the connector and move the harness out a little so there was room to work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156119&stc=1&d=1251537695.jpg

To finish up, everything was collected, taped, cinched up to the frame, and tucked in. All of my connections were soldered and heat shrinked.

The manual that comes with the i300 is pretty good at explaining how to set the thresholds for the motion sensor. To test the bypass was actually very easy. First I put the alarm in transport mode by holding down the C button on my remote. Then it was as simple as turning on the ignition (but not actually starting the bike) and checking the FI light on the dash. With the alarm in transport mode and the RID in control, the FI light came on pretty fast. Flipped the toggle to bypass and a few seconds later it went off. Started the bike, no problem. Flipped back to RID and it came back on, and the bike died. Turned the alarm off and it went back off.

I checked the disabling function too by starting the bike and holding the A and B keys on the remote. The bike sounds like its panicing for about 20 sec and then the disabler kicks in, the alarm goes off, and the engine dies. Its actually very disconcerting and it took me a few seconds to get the alarm to reset (I had to hold the A key till it went off). I'm sure my neighbors werent to happy either. I really like the 20 second feature... it means the guy that just pulled me off the bike will be too far away to come back for the remote and I will probably already be on 911.

Smiles,
-Dana

alarm_location.jpg

suz-6_wiring_harness.jpg

bypass_switch_back.jpg

ignition_kill_device_wiring.jpg

fuel_pump_relay.jpg

bypass_switch.jpg

Thanks Dana. I just did an install as well. Thanks for the hijack notes, I was still struggling with where to do the cut. I stuck my main Scorpio unit underneath the rear seat, as the ECU section is populated with PC parts :laugh:

Hats off to Scorpio, the install instructions except for the hijack feature were EASY.

Back