Tag placement?

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
I have been trying to find the actual laws in florida to tag placement.

Still looking but I found this one you have to actually have a reflector on the back of the bike by law. I guess those dumb little reflector bolts holding the plates will come in handy.

316.415 Reflectors.--Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the taillamp or separately, at least one red reflector. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

I would like to find the actual legal desciption of the tag placement here in FLorida. I did run a search

New Florida Motorcycle laws-Effective 01 Oct, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us living in the Sunshiine State or those of you coming to visit, better bring your American Express...

ADVISORY BULLETIN
Florida Association of Court Clerks/Comptrollers

REF: HB 137 (ch. 2008-117, Laws of Florida) DATE: August 20, 2008 NO: 08-058

FILE NO. F02-008-080820-01 TELEPHONE: (850) 921-0808 CONTACT: B. Allman

Effective October 1, 2008, HB 137 revises the traffic laws to create a few more penalties. This short bill was particularly focused on unsafe motorcycle activities, but it does include a provision for excessive speed. The new law also provides penalties for the first, second, third or subsequent violations. The Distribution Chart found on the FACC website will be updated to reflect the amounts for the first and second offenses in the Traffic section. The third and subsequent offense is classified as a third degree felony with a $5,000 fine and will appear in the Criminal Traffic section of the chart.

New Violations:
316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up."

316.1926 (2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more in violation of ss.
316.183(2) (posted speeds), 316.187(state speed zones), or 316.189 (municipal and county speeds)
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.

Last edited:
I am familiar with the fines just not exact;y sure what the rules are for properly affixed, and guess what the cops don't know either. Cause I have talked to a few an saying different things :laugh:

I have been looking at he DOT site to try an clarify just exactly what "properly affixed means"

I think you should assume properly affixed means physically screwed on to the bike where the authorities can plainly see it. Whether that be on a swingarm mount or fender.

In my state if your plate is loose or even attached and bent up or down out of view, you are asking for trouble. I cant imaging it being any different elsewhere.

I have been pulled over twice for having a loose plate (unbeknownst to me).

It's funny about that tag law as Harley just introduced a new V-Rod with a foldable left side mount tag bracket. Yet, it's legal somehow?

It's funny about that tag law as Harley just introduced a new V-Rod with a foldable left side mount tag bracket. Yet, it's legal somehow?

Yea it's legal and u can fold it in with your heel while riding. I heard that DOT didn't know it folded in when they approved it.

Back