Another use for that front reflector bracket!

FJRider

Registered
I couldn't bare to see them slap state & county stickers on my pretty gold fork down-tube of my new Busa so I picked up a generic 6"x3" stainless steel plate (1/16" thick) from the local bike shop thinking I could figure out some way to bolt it to the fork. Unfortunately I couldn't figure a way except to use the caliper bolts, and I didn't want to chance messing with those.

I finally decided I could use the bracket for the left front reflector! There's two holes in the reflector bracket, one for the reflector and an extra hole. I put a 4-440 bolt and nut through that extra hole to keep the plate from slipping, and reinstalled the reflector using a bit of blue locktite on both pieces of hardware. With two pieces of hardware holding it, it made for a pretty stable mount. And since it's edge is pointed into the slipstream, it shouldn't offer up much wind resistance either. I plan to cut the plate down to an exact size for both of my required stickers.

Damn... I knew those reflectors would come in handy for something! For those of you that hate the reflectors, just use the reflector bracket, and two bolts, and you've got it!
biggrin.gif

MVC_898F.JPG

Cool. Sucks that you have to have stickers at all, but creative way to handle the situation.
wink.gif

Go to a Harley dealer and pick up a chrome inspection plate and bolt it on the same bolt that holds your muffler on. Put it on the back side. Pleases the cops and it stays pretty well hidden. Should cost between 10-15 dollars.

Thats a slick idea FJrider... I'll hafta remember to do that when my VA sticker comes up.

Only problem is some states reqiure that the sticker be located on the back of the bike.... Texas supposedly does but I have none and have yet to be pulled over...

perfect for those miltary stickers some of us use. nice but, i think you could loose those reflectors and keep that bracket. it makes it faster

Well... yeah, I'm one of the few that haven't ditched the reflectors yet. I'll admit, the reflectors do look as goofy as hell (as in: Schwinn), but with all the stupid cage-pointers around the DC area I need every advantage I can get. Hell, if it'll save my a## from becoming road-kill I'd put a strobe light on the top of my helmet!
laugh.gif

What I may eventually do is replace the reflectors with lighted frame sliders, or something to catch the cage-pointers attention.
biggrin.gif

"What made me a successful pilot is, I did whatever was necessary to fly the next day." Chuck Yeager

I've been doing that idea, since 1986, with the Military Base stickers, but just didn't share it! Good deal though!

Well... yeah, I'm one of the few that haven't ditched the reflectors yet.  I'll admit, the reflectors do look as goofy as hell (as in: Schwinn), but with all the stupid cage-pointers around the DC area I need every advantage I can get.  Hell, if it'll save my a## from becoming road-kill I'd put a strobe light on the top of my helmet!  
laugh.gif
I agree, I'm keeping mine.

I'm also putting cards in my wheel spokes.
smile.gif

Seriously though, adding a strobing brake light helps to catch the cager's eyes too.

Back