Sync'ing t-bodies with mercury sticks???

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
I've been having some stuttering in the low-RPM range, so I thought I'd sync the t-bodies.

A buddy of mine loaned me his Mercury Sticks... Wow, these things are OLD! They are at least 18" tall!

Now, the manual shows to hook each one up to #1 vacuum line and 'adjust' the screw to bring the ball to the center line.

My problem is that these sticks don't have an adjuster! They are just 4 glass tubes with 24" of hose on them and a buncha mercury in the bottom.

How would I go about adjusting with these? Since it's mercury, do I not need to worry about 'adjusting' them?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

--Omar

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: "Can't spell!"|1145401085 -->

Also, disregard the jumping of the lines in the last pic. Just put back the way it came off.

Ahhhh, that's what I need! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

The first mercury sticks I had many years ago didn't have adjusters either, I used tubing clamps that I got from a laboratory supply store, they had threaded thumbscrews that allowed precise adjustments.

Be careful not to over-rev the engine and suck mercury into your engine - that would be bad...

I have the Suzuki carb balancer now, it's more compact and doesn't use mercury. It wasn't cheap though...

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: "discombobulation error"|1145480357 -->

Back