Sync'd my t-bodies today

I've synced carbs for 20 years and never have I sucked mercury into a cylinder. In fact you would probably have to nearly redline my bike to get the mercury up the long tubes and then up the hoses into a cylinder. You sync the carbs at idle and then lightly "blip" the throttle to ensure you still have syncro. If not you adjust again.
Mercury is easier to get an exact sync than guages. Guages have a small face and are prone to pulsing so you never have an exact match across all guages (usually).
Mercury is a dense heavy liquid that is less prone to pulsing. This makes it very easy to get an exact match across all the tube styx and there is no need to clamp the plastic tubes to reduce pulsing, which by the way can lead to false readings.

If you can sync carbs/tb's with guages you can do it with mercury stix and end up with a closer and truer syncronization.

I get the point of merc being more accurate.

I just don't feel safe working with it.
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Could someone post a pick of what the gauges should look like and were to get them? Also what is the device mentioned that will aid in the pulsing on the guages versus using vise grips and were would one get it?

The less dense the fluid the harder to get it close. There for the more accurate it is to the mating carb/TB. All one has to do is crimp the fish tank clear plastic hose until you get it close. If while using the Po mans carb sync and uncrimped the water isn't sucked in the eng you must have just synced em. That touchy has to say its on the $ when its done. Better have some good gages and take care with em to beat it. Also sync is probably needed the most on a new eng! All the parts are settling in and mating.
rock.gif
beerchug.gif

I was reading the service book and it shows hooking the vac. lines completely different than the post by jinkster.

Wondering the correct way OR if either way accomplishes the same thing.

runeight...

Great sync thread for those DIYs out there.

Its getting cold so I thought I would bump this up.

(runeight @ Oct. 26 2006,15:21) I was reading the service book and it shows hooking the vac. lines completely different than the post by jinkster.

Wondering the correct way OR if either way accomplishes the same thing.

runeight...
lurk.gif

Just stumbled across this thread. Some good stuff in here. I too believe the mercury device is better but that's just my opinion. I have one loaned to a friend. Hmm, I need to get it back. I would be interested in seeing the guages mentioned. It seems those will work too.

BBBUSA and I just sync my throttle bodies using my motion pro mercury carb turner a few hours ago with positive results. Afterwards we hooked the throttle bodies hoses back to their original location.  
super.gif

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 13 2007,18:09) what are all four carbs not connected via the same vac. line as before the process began?
I asked Jinkster about this, he said don't do it, hook the vac lines up as you found them. He said he was gonna post about it.

rock.gif

Anyone know what the final setting should read in centimeters when using a Motion Pro Mecury stick gauge ?

(Rhythm @ Feb. 18 2007,09:39) Anyone know what the final setting should read in centimeters when using a Motion Pro Mecury stick gauge ?
No such thing. As long as they all sit at the same level when you're done, that's all that matters.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Feb. 18 2007,14:23)
(Rhythm @ Feb. 18 2007,09:39) Anyone know what the final setting should read in centimeters when using a Motion Pro Mecury stick gauge ?
No such thing.  As long as they all sit at the same level when you're done, that's all that matters.

--Wag--
For example, what if I closed all three screws all the way down.
How would I get back to the stock setting? Because if I closed them down
they'd be so far off that minor adjustments wouldn't fix it.

Well, we (Rhythm and I) just finished my TB sync. So far all is well, but I don't know about mileage yet, it's still winter here. At idle speeds my bike pulls about 24 cm of mercury using the motion pro gauge.

I wonder if the tb's adjustments were closed all the way and the reading were all fouled up as well as the idle speed since it affects that as well. Could we give an approx. amount of turns out on the idle adjustment to give a base line for readjusting the vac. on the throttle body adj.. This being said, turns for idle speed would vary some from bike to bike but it may help to get into the ball park for sync'ing the tb's.

ajm

By-the-way what is the expected mpg for the bike? I used to get around 38 mpg if ridden gently. But what about with full exhaust, pc3, air filter? It is to cold to ride here to be able to tell.

ajm

I can't tell right now about MPG and I certainly am not gonna turn one screw all the way down after all of the problems some have had after doing that.

I get 38-42 MPG in summer though.

Back