Motion Pro Carb Stix problem

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
While syncing the throttle bodies on my 06LE the other day the mercury in two of the four tubes separated. Air gaps developed. It made it difficult/impossible to properly sync the TB's.

I tried tapping the body of the tool. The mercury was still separated. I tried shaking the tool (like you would to fix a thermometer that had separated mercury) that didn't help either. I was concerned that the tool was no longer useful and that I would need to purchase another (probably non-mercury).

Well, I stole (er, permanently "borrowed") a turkey baster from my lovely wife.
wink.gif
I put the end of the turkey baster against one of the rubber hoses of the tool and applied a vacuum to the hose. It pulled the mercury up the tube (and the air gap was still visible). Then I tried applying *pressure* (slowly and carefully) to the tube, then reapplying the vacuum. Viola! The mercury "combined" again. The air gap was gone. I used this technique to each of the other rubber tubes and "fixed" the problem with the manometer.

Saved myself $100.

"Actually, I used my mouth and got the same results"........I believe I was working on Frank's Busa at the time.....VOILA...You're back in action.........
beerchug.gif

(Spudley @ Sep. 30 2007,07:07) "Actually, I used my mouth and got the same results"........I believe I was working on Frank's Busa at the time.....VOILA...You're back in action.........
beerchug.gif
I was worried about sucking or blowing on an open tube with mercury at the other end.
crazy.gif

That would definitely work, but it just didn't seem as safe as using a tool of some sort.

I was VERY aware of the contents and paid great attention to doing the above exercise with caution and gentle pressure............BOY those Mercury Stix work GOOD when they ALL line up !!!!!
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

I just plugged mine in and played around with the TB adjuster screws until the bubbles disappeared.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Back