Sync'd my t-bodies today

Could a mod stick-pin this one? This is one IMPORTANT post,Thanks.Paul.

lol!...mercury dosen't compress....piston go boom.
HA HA Ha! Now thats the funniest one I have read today!

I helped a guy tear down an old YZ250 one time that had been jumped into a lake at WOT! Kablooey! Water doesn't compress either. Bad things happen when you hinder the normal compression your motor was designed for!

Hey jinks does it make any difference the way you re-attached the vacuum lines from the factory configuration?

My bike has been stuttering lately, some popping on decel, and rough idle, so I decided it was time to sync the throttle bodies.

I've never liked the idea of using Mercury Stix; just don't want to chance sucking mercury into the motor!

So, after conversing with Loboboy and MC_Mustang, I knew I was going to use dial gauges. I was going to go out an buy a set of gauges, but then I remembered that I have a couple of vacuum pumps. I don't need the 'pump' part...just the gauge.

So, I set to work, syncing 1&2, 3&4 then 1/2 & 3/4 together. Whole process took about 1/2 hr.

Once I was done...WOW! What a difference! Idle is sooo smooth, no more popping on decel, and the stutter is gone!

I should have done that a long time ago!
if i wanted to use gauges like you did what range do i need? i have alot laying around work.

Wow, Jinkster, you need to publish all these help your self things into a PDF Book!!! good stuff!

I think I'm going to up and move across the state next door to Jinkster in PSL. Have him show me all this great stuff first hand.

Why do you route the vacuum line you did instead of like stock routing .Doese it add to performance ?
smile.gif

My question is -- I have a digital (super accurate) manometer.
How well would that work ?
Right now I am using it to check blowby on Cat diesels and wonder if it would work for synching-- it has 2 hoses so I can check differential pressures (in other words 2 cyl at a time)

Great piece of info as usual JINKSTER. I had a set of Merc stix from when we had a dealership. One tube got (twin tube set up) smashed in a move. dumb#ss me didn't have it in it's box. Was going to order another set (4tube) when we got back from the spring bash. Guess what, Maine became a Merc free state - May 01,2006. That's right nothing w/merc for the gen. public no home therostats, tools ect. No importation of that foul merc into our wonderful state, nice ain't it. So I borrowed a gauge type worked ok. Other states may soon follow. buy them while you can if you want one. Has anyone used the digital style? Maybe someone could buy one (merc)and send it to me by accident?

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: "May 01,2006"|1156121423 -->

Right now I am using it to check blowby on Cat diesels and wonder if it would work for synching-- it has 2 hoses so I can check differential pressures (in other words 2 cyl at a time)
well?...2 could be made to work to a degree but...i'd be a pita as...once ya balance 1&2 ands 3&4?....then ya balance 1&2 WITH 3&4....and when ya do that?...things chnage again...and ya keep repeating the process till ya got'em spot on...even with 4 tubes it gets hot bouncing back and forth making progessive adjustments...monitoring, checking and adjusting with just two gages would be...well?...TWICE the pita...but yes...it could be done.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

well?...2 could be made to work to a degree but...i'd be a pita as...once ya balance 1&2 ands 3&4?....then ya balance 1&2 WITH 3&4....and when ya do that?...things chnage again...and ya keep repeating the process till ya got'em spot on...even with 4 tubes it gets hot bouncing back and forth making progessive adjustments...monitoring, checking and adjusting with just two gages would be...well?...TWICE the pita...but yes...it could be done.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Ya -- i have done it with mercury a bunch of times (was a bike mechanic) and have 2 neighbors with them to borrow.
Aint buyin a second manometer tho -- farkin things are pricey

Here is some good readn about how to make your own manometer using  liquids other than mecury, and other system areas you should consider checking or adjusting before attempting to adjusting you TB's.

My .02

Click here !

Click here too !

Or just do it with this! $5.00 at the Home Depot. Closer than mercury manometer's. No diff from carbs!
all_coholic.gif
argue.gif

martycarbsync.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
(Rhythm @ Oct. 17 2006,04:19) Here is some good readn about how to make your own manometer using  liquids other than mecury, and other system areas you should consider checking or adjusting before attempting to adjusting you TB's.

My .02

Click here !

Click here too !
OOOPS U beat me to it! Simple and get it close and its still better than mercury or vac gage!

Back