Suzuki Corporate and the 08 RECALL

kreator

Registered
Well, I was about to call shenanigans on this recall thing, when I remeber I still have a number from years ago when I had probems with my Kitana to this guy at Suzuki corprate..

I just got off the phone and was told that there IS a stop sale on the 08's and right now there is a "safety issue" both the routing of the ignition wire and the shutting off at a particular speed as well as other things are being looked at.

He said that there is no recall as of yet because they are working with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and a call on how they are going to proceed will be made in the near future.

As far as if I should be concered about my bike, really no other information was given.

THIS SECTION WAS ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST (Thanks to phase4 for providing the details
So far only USA, Canada, & Puerto Rico have been impacted...

Dear Suzuki Dealer

I regret to inform you that
Suzuki has determined that a problem affecting motor vehicle
safety exists on certain 2008 GSX1300RK8 model motorcycles. The ignition switch lead
wire may be improperly routed resulting in loss of electrical power and stalling of the
engine. As a result, the affected units cannot be sold at retail until corrective action is
completed.

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) will be issued in the near future detailing the
necessary steps to correct this situation.
All part number and ordering information will be contained in the Technical Service
Bulletin. The parts will be available for immediate ordering when the TSB is released.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We regard our customer's safety to be of
the utmost importance. It is for these reasons that we have made this difficult decision.
If you have any questions, please contact American Suzuki.
Update 6/05/08 (TY Tybalt71 for posting)

stopdel.jpg

This is the real deal! My buddy is the General Mgr of a large dealership, he told me two days ago they were contacted by Suzuki.... So what your reading is in fact the real deal!

Thanks for pinning that KS.. Ya, it's more the dealers that are not sure what is going on that was confusing me, that's why I called corprate.. I am a little worried about the time the dealership will need to work on my bike (if it comes to that)..

Yeah, will be interested to see how long it takes to get this resolved?

I think I will go home and wash and wax my baby again, just to keep her in a good mood and not have any problems.
beerchug.gif

I called someone I have known for about 8 years who is a service manager at a Suzuki dealership and he had not heard of the recall. he said they just sold an 08 to a friend of his a few days ago.

he said he was going to check into it and told me to call him later today.

He did state however that he could see it happening, that he has seen other bikes with similiar problems where if the wheel is turned a certain direction wires can get smashed

On one hand I would think that a recall like this would have been disemintaed to every dealership and it seems most dealerships dont know anything about this, so from that pooint of view I would tend to call B.S.

But then Sonny (A.K.A. The Bug) pops in and says it is real. kind of have to believe it.

dang, i was workin a deal on a new 08 yesterday!! my guy was tryin to get me to take it home last night.... glad i decided to take a few days and sleep on the offer!!!!

Gotta consider, thrasher, that the dealers aren't in possession of a "plan of action" just yet, so most, even close friends, might say "I haven't heard anything" to avoid the onslaught of '08 owners 'til a resolution is found...

Hopefully Suzuki will step up soon and make it official...

what's the big deal?
rock.gif

you take it back to the dealer, he mods it as necessary and away you go. Every new model bike i've had has had recalls - Blade, GS etc.

when a letter arrives you act and then that's it.

In the meantime I'm enjoying my baby
ThumbsUp.gif

If it was something like the frame snapping in half, I would be more concerned. Its like the previous post said, when you get the notice fix it...done deal.

you know this stuff happens all the time on cars.... not a big deal at all.. TSB's (formerly called recalls) are required by DOT on stuff like this is all..

I don't think anyone is complaining about it just trying to find out if its true and how to go about getting it taken care of.

Is it safe to be riding the bike? How big a saftey concern is there?

My dealer says they have not heard anything about it.
The TSB is not out yet.. but it sounds like they are going to replace/reroute the harness from the ignition switch.. Probably not worth a panic... Many dealers do not find out about TSB's until they are sent out so no big deal.. Owners will all get a snail mail when the TSB is released (per DOT requirements)

This is very bad..

On saturday o scheduled to travel 250 miles (i live in Miami) to pick up my new black busa for $11500

Back