Suspension Geometry w +1 Rear Question

Currently guys I have gen II. I weigh 185lbs. with gear on. I believe I am close to the weight of the stock 08 busa springs. I had my sag checked at the busa bash. It was supposely on the money. However, I feel that the bike needs more help. When I ride it, it feels like the front end is light. I have been talking back and forth to Ba Busa, and I am now going with a 190/55r17 on the rear. I did this to my 02 1k, and liked it. Turn in was better, and the front end gave back better feel. I also got a dogbone for the busa to raise the rear too +1. Am I going the riight direction? I my need to get book to help understand the adjustments to the suspension too. I am looking for better front end feel and feed back from the big girl!

I think you're going the right way. And if it doesn't work, its really easy to go back to stock dogbones and a 190/50 tire. :beerchug:

^^^ OUCH!

And yeah, Warbird, sounds good to me, too!

--Wag--

DAMN!! Charlesbusa, Wag, Devil Dog, BA Busa, Busawhipped all posting here in this topic talking bout suspension, canyon riding, trackdays, setup? Feels like old times fellas! I miss you guys already. I think we're missing BigO and Lamb, then we'd be golden.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I miss you too, Ryan!

Hugs.

--Wag--

man... i have just read all kinds of recommendations, and i have a question about the way my busa is set up. when i got the bike it was lowered 2 inches in the rear, and one inch in front, with a 1 inch riser to the handlebars. i feel very low when i am turning, and yet i have pretty decent chickenstrips!

being lowered does it adversely affect my cornering?

thanks,
david

man... i have just read all kinds of recommendations, and i have a question about the way my busa is set up. when i got the bike it was lowered 2 inches in the rear, and one inch in front, with a 1 inch riser to the handlebars. i feel very low when i am turning, and yet i have pretty decent chickenstrips!

being lowered does it adversely affect my cornering?

thanks,
david

Yes it does... but if your happy with it, ride it. All depends on the type of riding that YOU do...my bike is stock in front and +1 on the rear...also like to run a 190/55 rear tire.

There is no right or wrong set up...all depends on what the owner likes...appearance or performance :thumbsup:

hi ba busa,

and thanks for the fast response. i love my bike! i have had many sports-bikes, and this is by far the most fun. i used to have an 87 gsxr 11 that had a wicked power-band, but nothing like my busa with its wide range of brute force! this bike feels like it has a whole bunch to give if i were to rap it up, and then run it through the gears. :) ok, so my thought is this... i am down 2 in rear, and down 1 in front. if i go back up 2 in the rear i will have close to the same geometry that everyone is recommending. basically i will be decreasing my caster angle, and therefore will have more flick-ability entering the turns.

or... i could just ride it, and be happy.

hi ba busa,

and thanks for the fast response. i love my bike! i have had many sports-bikes, and this is by far the most fun. i used to have an 87 gsxr 11 that had a wicked power-band, but nothing like my busa with its wide range of brute force! this bike feels like it has a whole bunch to give if i were to rap it up, and then run it through the gears. :) ok, so my thought is this... i am down 2 in rear, and down 1 in front. if i go back up 2 in the rear i will have close to the same geometry that everyone is recommending. basically i will be decreasing my caster angle, and therefore will have more flick-ability entering the turns.

or... i could just ride it, and be happy.

What year is your bike and how much do you weigh ???

thanks for the help. at this point i am going to think about raising the rear back to the stock height, and am going to just enjoy my bike.

peace.

+1000 TM! I don't even want to try and post my thread now....dang it, this is all above me at this point! I will do a short starter on my spring replacement but it sure won't be that technical...rake angle? Sheesh!

This thread takes Lamb back a couple of years ago. All these very same questions were asked before his first track day at Miller motorsports park in beautiful Salt Lake City. Knowing nothing about trackdays, all this advice was soaked up and adhered to, with incredible satisfaction. The heavier springs, jacking up the rear to accomodate more lean angle, higher profile tire. Setting the sag first and having a professional set the suspension at the track initially. For the record...........this is some of the best advice Lamb has ever received and still uses the lessons learned by the posters here to this day. Lamb is 200 pounds and went with the .95 springs. A bit light for hardcore track use, but like Calgione, missile is used as a daily commuter and having the ability to pull back the preload was and is important. Many things have been tried as far as tires go. 2 trackdays at Pahrump were done with a 180/55 tire with great success.
Thank you
Lamb

Trust me I'm no slouch on the track and I've never scraped hard parts from cornering;
displayimage.php

No Slouch = riding with your hair on fire with zero regard for other riders around you's egos while passing their beautiful 1000 cc race prepped machines as they shake their heads and wonder in amazement how the heck Valentino Rossi got on the track, and why is he riding a hayabusa.

No Slouch = riding with your hair on fire with zero regard for other riders around you's egos while passing their beautiful 1000 cc race prepped machines as they shake their heads and wonder in amazement how the heck Valentino Rossi got on the track, and why is he riding a hayabusa.

Exactly!!! :D

--Wag--

Back