Suspension Tune

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Just paid $50 to get my suspension analyzed.
The $50 includes all necessary adjustments for 1 year.
Settings are for daily aggressive rider.
250lbs (Geared)

Front Tire: Mich. 2CT
Size: 120/70-17
Press: 38 psi

Back Tire: Mich 2CT
Size: 190/55-17
Press: 38 psi

Here's the numbers:

Initial Settings:
Front
Preload: 1 Showing
Comp: 4.00
Reb: 3.00
T. Sag: 30mm

Rear
Preload: 16mm Thread/T Ring
Comp: 6.00
Reb: 10.00
T. Sag: 30mm

Final Settings:
Front
Preload: 1 Showing
Comp: 4.00
Reb: 2.00
Sag: 50mm
Stic: 11mm (No Go)

Rear
Preload: 20mm Thread/T Ring
Comp: 5.00
Reb: 4.00
Sag: 40mm
Stic: 3mm (No Go)

Recommended 1.2 kg front springs.
Said I was borderline on the rear spring and would not invest the money for my type riding (non-track days).

What you think?

Money well spent?

If you can afford it, definately get the front springs. It will make a big difference
wink.gif

Comp and reb settings vary from track to track, or in your case road to road. High speed corners that are smooth require a different setting than slow speed corners that are bumpy.
beerchug.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 21 2007,14:17) If you can afford it, definately get the front springs.  It will make a big difference  
wink.gif

Comp and reb settings vary from track to track, or in your case road to road.  High speed corners that are smooth require a different setting than slow speed corners that are bumpy.    
beerchug.gif
Makes sense.

That's why I am looking for the quick change knobs so I can adjust on the fly.

Hey Snap what type of front springs did they tell you to get and how much are they if you priced them yet if you don't mind me asking.

1.2 kg front springs are too stiff for 250# rider on the street. 1.0 should be about right for the street, 1.1 if you want it setup for track days.

But for what they did, its money well spent.

Sounds good- Its money well spent, and I'd def consider doing my springs too. Who else? we get a group going on this, it might be a worthwhile endeavor
On another note: I just loaded a spare damper with much heavier oil than 90w. Its my own mixture of high pressure oils/grease. gonna install it tonite- and PUT ON MY GEAR! and go around the block.

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 21 2007,16:30) 1.2 kg front springs are too stiff for 250# rider on the street.  1.0 should be about right for the street, 1.1 if you want it setup for track days.

But for what they did, its money well spent.
Thanks. I ended up ordering 1.0 kg since I am also on a weight loss program.

(rubber2burn @ Sep. 21 2007,15:54) Hey Snap what type of front springs did they tell you to get and how much are they if you priced them yet if you don't mind me asking.
I ordered Racetech since I have used them in the past.

Retail for 1.0 is $109, but I worked it a little...

beerchug.gif

Sounds good- Its money well spent, and I'd def consider doing my springs too. Who else? we get a group going on this, it might be a worthwhile endeavor
On another note: I just loaded a spare damper with much heavier oil than 90w. Its my own mixture of high pressure oils/grease. gonna install it tonite- and PUT ON MY GEAR! and go around the block.

<!--EDIT|Suijuris|1190432943-->
I think GIXERHP is working up something for the masses...Front fork job w/springs/valves for the winter tear downs

Snap, where did you get your suspension setup.  I have been looking to have mine done since I just seem to get confused when I read the suspension setup how-to
rock.gif

50 bucks sounds good to me.

keep in mind when you lose the weight you have to KEEP it off. i know 'cause i lost 10lbs and now i'm "keeping" it off.

Snap, where did you get your suspension setup.  I have been looking to have mine done since I just seem to get confused when I read the suspension setup how-to
rock.gif
Velocity Dyno, San Antonio
http://velocitydyno.com/home.htm
Talk to Will and only Will.

I was told he did some suspension setups on a circuit team couple years back. He tunes the suspension for the Velocity team as well. All I know is he asked me a ton of questions and made notes. Total process took about an hour. As mentioned it would have been REAL essy for him to sell me a rear shock as well but didn't and said for my weight and off-track riding save my money and just do the springs.

Rear plants and stays there... I did the Jinkster tune and found the rear better but still unpredictable for me. Front springs should be in next week. Can't wait.

OK. Got the new springs in and LOVE them. The rear is jumping ot a bit on me though in the leans. I talked to my guy about Jinkster's setting for the rear and this was his response. What do you think?

Quote - Velocity Dyno
From my experience tuning Suzuki/Showa rear suspension, I personally have found that a tight-biased Rebound setting is favorable under the majority of conditions as to help control the bike when trying to settle the chassis under turn-in as well as helping to control the effects of mid-turn turbulence. Honestly, the 10 Rebound, 7 Compression setting sound really, really soft in my opinion.

Part 2
While the spring is going to do the most to control "squat"￾ under acceleration, the projected damping settings may be relying on the spring rate a little too much to control descent of the rear for my taste. Our goal with track-oriented suspension settings is to help the bike stay in the bottom on-half to one-third of its total articulation even under high-g loading. Such as an effect of turning to motorcycle. The spring preload is going to get you to that one-half to one-third, but the damping settings determine how fast you get there and how long you can stay at that particular spot in your suspension travel.
End Quote.

Back