Need Help... Best mods for track?????

Hey guys... thank you for all the advises....I do understand about getting a second (track bike).... but here is the problem... I love the busa....they way it rides, the way it feels, the way it handles.... I have done three track days so far in the Busa....with a lot of improvements after each one....
I know that is the rider and not the bike, but if I get better I want to get better on the busa.... Im not really interested in racing, just becoming a better rider. The mods I have done so far has help a lot....:beerchug: ej, 190/55, 1 inch higher, full system, etc .... before next season start I'll do the suspension... and get some plastics to use at the track.....

I know that if I crash at the track it'll hurt since my bike has never been drop...but then again it'll hurt in the street as well...:thumbsup:

I really dont mind the 600's passing me on the turns.... cuz I'll catch them on the straight....:beerchug: :laugh:

what do you weigh?
what exactly have you done to the suspension?
just how quick are you running ?

I like riding the Busa on the track but it is a lot more work than the liter bikes and will never keep up with the fast guys but hey, I am having so much fun I dont care.. I can with the guys in the intermediate group (NESBA) just fine.. I think the "A" group is going to require a different machine.. NESBA "A" group is a lot different than the SST "A" group..

I can vouch for the BT002's the will take about any abuse you can dish out ..

I would avoid the lap timer unless you are running the "A" group.. I got this advice from Ron Hix (AMA racer type guy).. Says to concentrate on your lines and riding style. The lap timer will only make you get in over your head and crash the bike hence the nickname "Crash timer" He really has been a big help to me...

his advice to me was to must make sure to hit every apex, every corner, every time... from there you start building more speed naturally... (and I gotta agree, it is working for me so far)

Track thing is addicting huh? :laugh:

what do you weigh?
what exactly have you done to the suspension?
just how quick are you running ?

I like riding the Busa on the track but it is a lot more work than the liter bikes and will never keep up with the fast guys but hey, I am having so much fun I dont care.. I can with the guys in the intermediate group (NESBA) just fine.. I think the "A" group is going to require a different machine.. NESBA "A" group is a lot different than the SST "A" group..

I can vouch for the BT002's the will take about any abuse you can dish out ..

I would avoid the lap timer unless you are running the "A" group.. I got this advice from Ron Hix (AMA racer type guy).. Says to concentrate on your lines and riding style. The lap timer will only make you get in over your head and crash the bike hence the nickname "Crash timer" He really has been a big help to me...

his advice to me was to must make sure to hit every apex, every corner, every time... from there you start building more speed naturally... (and I gotta agree, it is working for me so far)

Track thing is addicting huh? :laugh:

Nesba? Are you from Oregon or WA? The suspension is probably the only thing I got left to do.... but I'll try (if money is there) over the winter... I did three track days this season and Im hook..... Im still in C group tho... :whistle:, I love tracking the Busa.... is like you said, those litter bikes are fast, but hey, I'm just having fun :cheerleader:

Hey if you are in the Washington area, talk to TufBusa.... SteveO has more of this stuff in his background than most guys around here combined (being really fuggen old does have some advantages) :whistle:

I weigh in at 240 and so had to have the springs done on the front and it made a world of difference.. For the track, 1.10's were installed (could have actually gone up one more step for the track) They also work on the street and will eliminate all the nose dive the bike had with me on it.. I was crushing the front forks coming into corners off long straights where braking was at a premium..

Getting the baselines set by someone at the track that knows what they are doing? about $60 but the results are priceless...

I had GixerHP do my front springs/valve kits and worked out just fine..

If you are not heavy, do not worry about it... work on your riding and spend the money on coaching to start as suggested by TufBusa.. Suspension work will never hurt you however :) just a matter of priority if your funds are limited..

Glad you are having fun... only reason to go IMO... :) (becoming a better rider is sure a nice side effect)..

how do you/where do you go to have stiffer springs installed? i rock the scale at 275, and the front dives HARD if i have to slow down in a hurry.

how do you/where do you go to have stiffer springs installed? i rock the scale at 275, and the front dives HARD if i have to slow down in a hurry.

I'd hook up with the GP Suspension guys.

Barry Wressell 206-372-6898 kfgservice@hotmail.com

Drop Barry a note or give him a call. He is our local suspension guy. Great guy and knows his business. Barry has probably set up or installed suspension in 90% of the track bikes in Washington State. He is located in Tacoma. Ship your forks to him and he'll send them back ready to ride!

Sounds like you have received lots of good suggestions to mill over this winter.

Motorcyles are really very simple yet there is much to learn in order to control the beast at high speeds. The more instruction and practice you acquire the shorter the learning curve. However, you'll never stop learning.

Have fun with your new addiction. Keep in mind, master your lines and throttle first. Speed will come as a by product of the two. :beerchug:

Well, if a dedicated trackbike isnt' in the picture, then I would work on suspension, brakes, and instructions. Then get a bunch of spare parts, like another set of wheels.

The only problem as you go forward is that you will become limited by what the Busa will do for you at the track. Then you will be in the market for a trackbike.

Back