Need Help... Best mods for track?????

BoricuaBusa33

Formerly "oneilldn"
Registered
I have done three track days so far and I'm hook :banghead:, so I think is time to start changing some things to make the bike better.... The QUESTION is WHAT???

What I have done so far:
SS Brake lines and HH Pads.
BT002 tires
Adjusted Suspension to my weight.

What else should I do?
Suspension? What Kind?
Rear Sets?
???????????????????????

Thanks....

I have done three track days so far and I'm hook :banghead:, so I think is time to start changing some things to make the bike better.... The QUESTION is WHAT???

What I have done so far:
BT002 tires

What else should I do?
Suspension? What Kind?
Rear Sets?
???????????????????????

Thanks....

Is this mostly a street bike? Any aftermarket spring set will be an excellent improvement. Rear sets are not needed unless you are scraping the pegs or toes but by then you will have scraped the fairings.

For my street bike, I just used Hyperpro springs. This made a significant difference in the handling characteristics as well as a better ride in general. For a better brake feel, I use a 19x20 Brembo master cylinder, HEL brake lines, SBS HH pads, DOT 5.1 fluid and aftermarket brake rotors. If money allows, lighter aftermarket wheels with or without ceramic bearings will make a nice change in how quick the bike turns into corners. Removing any weight will help somewhat and make it easier to last longer on the track.

Last thing you need. An experienced track rider to give you pointers and show some lines on your track. This alone will make you a helluva a lot better rider. Be careful with some of these tips as they don't always carry over to a 1/4 ton behemoth of a machine.

The end result will be a bike that is much funner and easier to corner with, but keep in mind though, you can only do so much with a Sport Touring motorcycle.

I can't really add to what has been stated. Light weight wheels, remove eveything you don't need from the bike. Weigh reduction is a biggie. Get a good 4 into 1 exhaust if you don't have one already. Big weight savings. Great idea to work that suspension as well. Good luck... :beerchug:

go for the 1 inch lift on the back. The zzz chain was necessary for Lamb as his stocker just stretched right out. Try a few teeth more in the back and that rear wheel will snug right up to the front of the swingarm. Good for a lil wheelbase change, not much. Some pads on the side of the tank do help a lil. A lap timer! nice for finding out the lap time differences between the start of the day and the end. Everythign else starts to get expensive and you're only going to see minute changes. Twist of the wrist 2 is a great read, and should always be taken to the track.
Take notes...........this is very important. Tire pressures, temp. outside temp. rebound, compression. write it all down. When a change is made by a pro susp. guy at the track and they make the bike better for this corner or better through the bumps, etc. Find out what those settings are, and write it down. It might not help you set the pressures or the rebound up for the next track, if different, etc, but it will give you a trend or a place to start if you encounter similar scenarios.
Have fun!
To go truly fast, you have to look further ahead. It's the hardest thing to wrap your head around because you are so used to scanning for debris, cars etc. it's hard to train your brain to look further ahead on the street.
Trackdays rule
Later
Lamb

Thank guys I really appreciated... I'll probably spend on the suspension first, raise rear one inch, then 4-1, then lighter rims.... is this order sound good? I'll do one mod at a time (due to money)... what is a Vr4? and what is for? thanks...

Wheels - $2500
Suspension F&R - $2500

With all the $ you can spend trying to make the Busa better on the track save it & buy an already set up track bike. The end of season is coming up & there will be plenty available. You won't feel so bad if something happens on the track, because eventually...it will.

What I have done so far:
BT002 tires

What else should I do?
Suspension? What Kind?
Rear Sets?
???????????

Thanks....

Gen1 or Gen2 ???

Suspension
Brakes
Wheels...if you can afford them $$$
Go up 2-5 teeth on the rear sprocket...cheap upgrade

:thumbsup:

With all the $ you can spend trying to make the Busa better on the track save it & buy an already set up track bike. The end of season is coming up & there will be plenty available. You won't feel so bad if something happens on the track, because eventually...it will.

+1 on this

Forget the mods my man. If you want to spank the guys with Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes spend your money on Instruction!

Instruction, Instruction, Instruction! This will make you faster in a much shorter time and a much better street rider. All that money in aftermarket goodies will not make you any faster.

You need to make a decision as to whether you want to improve or look cool on the track?

I'm glad to see you on the track. Addictive as hell, eh? :beerchug:

Wheels - $2500
Suspension F&R - $2500

+1.

I am going to agree with buying a seperate bike for the track. I have a 636 that I am just about finished putting together for the track. Picked it up for $1500, after the previous owner laid it down. $350 for some cheap fiberglass, $125 for SS line's, $100 for some sticky take offs and I am ready to have some fun, plus my big blue girl stays pretty, and I am not as tired at the end of the day :beerchug:

Right drop the Bus and go with a Litre bike or smaller.All the money spent could buy u a used track bike or a lighter bike designed for the TRACK.I just traded in my 1000 in for the Busa.If i was gonna be more GP style track oriented i would have kept it.The Busa is no slouch but no was near as track oriented as the smaller GSXRsssssss....:thumbsup:

No Substitute For Experience

oneilldn,

I don't want to come off as a smarty pants...but it's gonna sound like it so I'll say sorry in advance.

The very first thing I would do is get new rubber and set it to the proper PSI for that tire. Second thing I would do is get a lap timer. The only real way to see improvement is with a lap timer. With that being said buy and go to as many trackdays as you can. That's the first three things I would do.

How many trackdays have you been to?

Find out what the track record is for the track you'll be going to. If your within 10-15 seconds of the pro liter bike time it's time to start looking into improvements in the bike, namely just better rubber, I.E. slicks and the required tire warmers. Tires and a good suspension set up are biggest bang for the buck.

Or let me put it another way.

Typically, there are 3 groups at any given trackday. A, B, and C. With "A" being the fastest group. Once your running in "A" and turning consistent lap times that can't be lowered then maybe it's time for a racing school and up grade from high performance street tires to slicks. To see if this will help you break through the "wall" you hit in the fastest group.

Only then would I start moding the bike. Suspension, brakes and gearing other then stock. Would be first on my list.

From what I have seen in my VERY LIMITED experience at the track is that the rider not the machine is the weakest link in the quest for lower lap times.

My personal experience is two trackdays at Willow Springs International Raceway. 2.5 mile track with 9 turns. The liter bike fastest lap is 1:19.xxx

I started in the "C" group. I was bumped to "B" group after 2 sessions. I stayed in "B" group the rest of the day. Had a great time. Since I had no laptimer I had no way to really measure how I was doing. So I guessed I was turning laps in the 1:50.xxx to 1:45.xxx range.

About a month later I went again. Same everything and again no laptimer. This time I started in "B" group. I got behind some friends that spent $20.00 to rent a laptimer for the day. I followed them for 3 laps. Their pace felt good but I knew I could run better. So I passed them and had fun until the session ended. I asked them what their lap times were for the session. Turns out they were running low 45's to with their lowest being a 43.xxx's I would guess the reason for the lack of similar times might be due to traffic or a yellow flag on course.

Next session out my friend crashed. So since he wasn't going to be riding anymore I borrowed his laptimer for one session.

On the "Outlap" and second lap I turned 1.42.xxx each time. Now with some heat in the tires it was time to push. I ran 7 laps in the high 1:39.xxx's. Then a trackday control rider comes by me in a hail of bullets (there is always going to be someone faster then me) and taps his tail...the sign to follow him. I dropped in behind and turned one more lap passing the timing marker only once, and then we were on the last lap off the session which I am sure would have been quicker still. My best lap that day for one session only was 1:38.448. SO BECAUSE of the laptimer I was able to see an improvement of what? Maybe a second in one session. Or look at it the other way. A 4-10 second improvement over my first trackday?

Now I will NEVER do another trackday without a laptimer. My new goal on that track is 1:32.xxx constistantly

A 1:30.xxx pace is widely thought to be a good pace on a stock machine with high performance street tires. To get lower then that provided the rider has the skills to do so requires an additional commitment with $$$ and equipment for most. 1:19.xxx to 1:25.xxx is typical race pace by pros there.

Note again that the track record for a 1000cc Race bike, a motorcycle set up only for racing with an experienced racer is at 1:19.xxx I am 20 seconds a lap off the best ever done there. I have a stock bike with stock gearing on DOT tires on my second trackday ever. Pretty sad when I think about how far I have to go. Or looking at it the otherway I'll never run out of hobby. :laugh:

Of course I might be full of crap too...YMMV.

All the best.

-Gilman

Lots of good advice, and I agree with spending the money and getting a dedicated track bike. You will have more fun and will not have to worry about throwing the busa down.

You should be able to pick up track ready bike for a pretty good price, all the mods already done, but the bike may be a little worn, but I can tell you, the bike will be more than the average ride would be able to handle.

Anyway, it's all no how you want to spend your money....

I spent mine on finding a used 2002 CBR F4i ($2000) to put on the track instead of the busa. The only problem, I haven't been to the track since then... 8( But it makes an excellent daily drive to work and back and takes all the beating of being left outside in the parking lot in all weather...

Back