Suspension Geometry w +1 Rear Question

wow...why would you ask for some help them argue with everyone that tells you need to upgrade the suspension??

if you are for real and want that bike to ride well then listen...

front- springs and revalve...what is stock is crap, especially for what you want to do. lowering the front took away some ground clearance....put it back to stock and raise the rear, you will steepen the steering angle while keeping the bike off the ground....

rear - get a real shock, what is on there is subpar for a bike this size...if that is out of the budget then get a spring and revalve the rear shock......

set the sag to proper specs and have fun.....as it sits the bike is too low...as you add speed the taxes the suspension, and lowers the bike taking away your ground clearance.

It may not seem like it but we are interested in helping you. We don't like to hear about anyone going down.

Dave Moss of Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning, the MAN when it comes to suspension for racers and trackday junkies alike, did a Gen I Busa stock suspension review. He does SAG measurements with a 175 lb rider and the front is WAY too soft. You gotta respring 1st. Then work on geometry. Respringing for YOUR weight will already drastically reduce dragging hard parts. Continue to drag hard parts, you can actually lift the rear off the ground while at lean and you'll lose the rear.

This link will save your life, your bike, and your wallet. Please watch the vid:

ON THE THROTTLE

Front forks are perfect for a 130# rider when the forks are brand new off the show room floor according to the vid. WOW

Im glad everyone enjoys an opportunity to raise their post count lol

Whether my glossary terms are correct or not for motorcycles I appologize I didn't google ahead of time; Im a BMW tech, not bike mechanic so that's why the suspension is being working on at a motorcycle shop.

Still, I haven't received my answer for the angle of the front rake w the plus 1 rear.

Again, track is not my preference. I like the backroads. So I do need some cushion when I ride. I'll consider the fork and rear shock replacement but from my experiences thus far on the track the suspension will preload in corners, but hard braking etc I haven't had issues yet. Regardless Im not going to waste the money on something that is going to worsen my normal riding(around 28k a year weekend riding.) Until I have a reason to do something, I find no reason to jump into it 'jus cuz.' which leads to the original post about the angles. I wanted to know 'why' not 'jus cuz it feels better.'

I appreciate the input on the suspension recommendations; gtrpimp's vid was interesting and definitely good things to consider. But I haven't had any issues yet that would lead to consideration of those upgrades.

I was told to start w a 3/4" lift on the rear then we would recheck. Instead of making a dogbone and then having to make another, Im deciding on purchasing the soupy's adjustable links temporarily(Im sure they would last but I prefer non-adjustable solid parts like a 316 or 7076) then check and adjust until we get to the angles he was looking for. Then make a dogbone for that length.

This last weekend we rode a casual ride to make some video of friends and to get out to the local ride spots. From the get go the front seemed alot lighter without the extra weight on it. I wasn't a fan of the stock height. Felt alot more like the MVGusta wo a dampener then the busa I know. W a new BT016 on the rear I couldnt scrub out the tire completely lol

Last edited:
The suspension upgrade will improve the bikes performance and RIDE quality on the street and is a MUST for the track...you can 'crank' it up when at the track and 'soften' it when back on the street.

If you have NO CONCERN for your own safety and condition of your bike...think of your fellow riders...the pics of your stator cover ??? How much longer before you will be dumping OIL on the street or track ???

Whether my glossary terms are correct or not for motorcycles I appologize I didn't google ahead of time; Im a BMW tech, not bike mechanic so that's why the suspension is being working on at a motorcycle shop.

Still, I haven't received my answer for the angle of the front rake w the plus 1 rear.

Again, track is not my preference. I like the backroads. So I do need some cushion when I ride. I'll consider the fork and rear shock replacement but from my experiences thus far on the track the suspension will preload in corners, but hard braking etc I haven't had issues yet. Regardless Im not going to waste the money on something that is going to worsen my normal riding(around 28k a year weekend riding.) Until I have a reason to do something, I find no reason to jump into it 'jus cuz.' which leads to the original post about the angles. I wanted to know 'why' not 'jus cuz it feels better.'

I appreciate the input on the suspension recommendations; gtrpimp's vid was interesting and definitely good things to consider. But I haven't had any issues yet that would lead to consideration of those upgrades.

I was told to start w a 3/4" lift on the rear then we would recheck. Instead of making a dogbone and then having to make another, Im deciding on purchasing the soupy's adjustable links temporarily(Im sure they would last but I prefer non-adjustable solid parts like a 316 or 7076) then check and adjust until we get to the angles he was looking for. Then make a dogbone for that length.

This last weekend we rode a casual ride to make some video of friends and to get out to the local ride spots. From the get go the front seemed alot lighter without the extra weight on it. I wasn't a fan of the stock height. Felt alot more like the MVGusta wo a dampener then the busa I know. W a new BT016 on the rear I couldnt scrub out the tire completely lol

translation :

i am stubborn, and think i know what i am talking about....thanks for your input but i really just looking for someone to agree with the decisions i have already made.

In light of Caps thread "What are we becoming? We determine the outcome!"

I have decided to bite my lip and walk outta this thread!

Good luck with your ride.

So far guys I am enjoying the info you guys are giving this guy! I am looking to improve my busa too! Even though it is a gen II.....Some good stuff you are posting up here!

Good luck. :banghead:

So far guys I am enjoying the info you guys are giving this guy! I am looking to improve my busa too! Even though it is a gen II.....Some good stuff you are posting up here!

Good point. Even though he refuses to listen to the accumulated wisdom of guys who have ridden Busas since their inception, there are others here who will learn from the information that is presented.

Everyone pat yourself on the back for the good advice you've given.

--Wag--

Tell ya what, Caligone. What do you have to lose? Yeah, it'll cost you some money but as BABusa said, if you put in the upgrades you really need, it doesn't set the suspension in stone. You can still adjust it as needed and if you decide to do some canyon carving, you can tighten things up and increase your safety, then tone it back down when you're just cruising.

At the very least, put the +1" dogbone in the back and give yourself a little more clearance. The difference between that and 3/4" is not something you're ever going to notice with your feet on the pegs, I guarantee it. Leave the front stock height. It'll be unnoticeable to you on the street. Except you won't drag hard parts, most likely, and you'll be a lot safer. Otherwise, you run the risk of dragging something that slips your rear out on you and causes you to toss it in front of another rider and kill him or you or both.

Trust us, man. We've seen it all before or we wouldn't be talking about it.

--Wag--

The $300 to respring is alot less than its going to cost to replace all the damaged parts. I'm +1 in the rear, -1/2 in the front. I haven't touched a hard part down yet. In some of the vids it looks close though.

I've been on the track with BA, Wag, gtrpimp, and Devil Dog. They make me look old, fat, and slow. They know what they are talking about and I'm a better rider for having taken their advice.

258o2204_Cropped (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
... Regardless Im not going to waste the money on something that is going to worsen my normal riding

...But I haven't had any issues yet that would lead to consideration of those upgrades.

Upgrading your suspension is not wasting $$. Upgraded springs and valving actually gives you MORE ability to tune for whatever road / speed or two up riding you will do in the future.

YES, you have had issues that should lead any fairly intelligent rider to upgrade their suspension. You even said you are dragging hard parts!!!! That should be a very large flashing neon sign telling you that you are asking more from your suspension than it can deliver.

Never mind, good luck riding above your suspensions abilities.

BusaWhipped - I think you were so correct when you said "Hard to help someone who won't listen." I am not going to bother trying anymore.

OK dude, you're starting off the wrong way. You want to make custom dog bones so you can use a custom geometry angle. Why are you starting there??

When it comes to track riding the first thing you do is SPRING the bike for your weight and set the SAG for your weight. This should be done before your 1st trackday. I weigh 170lbs and I use .95 springs.

Any measurements you're taking now are completely wrong since you are not SPRUNG correctly.

There is always an order to things. And I guarantee you no professional racer starts messing with geometry until he springs the bike correctly and sets the sag.

Trust me I'm no slouch on the track and I've never scraped hard parts from cornering;
displayimage.php

OK dude, you're starting off the wrong way. You want to make custom dog bones so you can use a custom geometry angle. Why are you starting there??

When it comes to track riding the first thing you do is SPRING the bike for your weight and set the SAG for your weight. This should be done before your 1st trackday. I weigh 170lbs and I use .95 springs.

Any measurements you're taking now are completely wrong since you are not SPRUNG correctly.

There is always an order to things. And I guarantee you no professional racer starts messing with geometry until he springs the bike correctly and sets the sag.

Trust me I'm no slouch on the track and I've never scraped hard parts from cornering;

I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to join this party.

Currently guys I have gen II. I weigh 185lbs. with gear on. I believe I am close to the weight of the stock 08 busa springs. I had my sag checked at the busa bash. It was supposely on the money. However, I feel that the bike needs more help. When I ride it, it feels like the front end is light. I have been talking back and forth to Ba Busa, and I am now going with a 190/55r17 on the rear. I did this to my 02 1k, and liked it. Turn in was better, and the front end gave back better feel. I also got a dogbone for the busa to raise the rear too +1. Am I going the riight direction? I my need to get book to help understand the adjustments to the suspension too. I am looking for better front end feel and feed back from the big girl!

Back