surging at low RPM

minsc_tdp

Registered
Ok I know I just posted three times in a row, but I didn't want to overload one topic with 3 things.

My last issue is that the throttle doesn't seem to be steady between about 1000 and 1700 RPM. Meaning, when I try to hold the throttle still and cruise at low speed at that RPM, the bike surges on and off as if the throttle was being moved around. Over 2000 it smoothes out, and in 2nd gear+ this isn't a problem but I don't want to start out in 2nd.

Do you mean cruising, the bike surges? If that's the case, have you done the TRE mod? You may want to try that, it eliminates timing retard.

(bmbusa @ Sep. 30 2006,19:15) Do you mean cruising, the bike surges? If that's the case, have you done the TRE mod? You may want to try that, it eliminates timing retard.
a TRE may NOT cure this

the internet is full of mistruths don't add to this

I got a 2002, and I was having surging issues at cruising speeds, especially in town cruising, and I installed a TRE and it cured my problem. Just a suggestion.

I had the surging too but I finally cured it. I now try to control the urge to open the throttle.

Actually I did have minor surging at low speed but it just went away.

I got the bike used, it already had a TRE. I added a PC3 and that seemed to make the problem worse.

After a dealer servicing it seems to go away for a while, I think maybe they're adjusting the throttle bodies or something, I'd just like to know what it is so I can do it myself.

The PC3 didn't make it more severe, just sooner until it happens after a servicing. As if the higher HP and aggressive tuning is stressing some parts more than usual.

(minsc_tdp @ Sep. 30 2006,17:flamethrowing:) I got the bike used, it already had a TRE. I added a PC3 and that seemed to make the problem worse.

After a dealer servicing it seems to go away for a while, I think maybe they're adjusting the throttle bodies or something, I'd just like to know what it is so I can do it myself.

The PC3 didn't make it more severe, just sooner until it happens after a servicing. As if the higher HP and aggressive tuning is stressing some parts more than usual.
I know a strong bike like this is going to buck and want to go, but it's pretty bad.

The best example of real-world issue is, when attempting a low speed, tight u-turn, it is somewhat difficult to go at the speed I want. I'm forced to give more throttle than I want, and that forces me to take the turn wider than I want. It's a real nuisance.

The most noticable is when going from a rolling idle with the the throttle all the way off, and then trying to give it the tinyest amount of gas. Unless you go SUPER slow, it's impossible to do this without it bucking.

(bmbusa @ Sep. 30 2006,19:21) I got a 2002, and I was having surging issues at cruising speeds, especially in town cruising, and I installed a TRE and it cured my problem. Just a suggestion.
timing has nothing to do with it. at those low speeds (rpm's) you are still at base timing,
the problem has to do with fuel not timing, thus a TRE + a PC3 with a bad map will really make things bad.

on his problem take the TRE off first and see what happens. sometimes you are too rich down low and a TRE will make it even richer.
as for yours you were most likely a little lean and the extra fuel from the 5th gear map made it smoother. again it has nothing to do with timing

timing has nothing to do with it. at those low speeds (rpm's) you are still at base timing,
the problem has to do with fuel not timing, thus a TRE + a PC3 with a bad map will really make things bad.

on his problem take the TRE off first and see what happens. sometimes you are too rich down low and a TRE will make it even richer.
as for yours you were most likely a little lean and the extra fuel from the 5th gear map made it smoother. again it has nothing to do with timing

It makes sense what you say Johnny,after finding out he already had a TRE and map, it does sound like a fuel issue.

If it's a bad map I'd be highly annoyed. I paid nearly $700 to Mach1 of Costa Mesa, CA, who came highly recommended. For this, I got the PC3, installed, with several hours of tuning on a dyno to make a custom map. It was extremely smooth after that.

So I don't think it's the map, as this problem seems to occur over time. Taking it in for service, they seem to fix it, I'm not sure what they're doing.

If I took off the TRE to try to solve this, would I need to pay these guys to re-do the map? I'm a little wary of just installing someone else's map from the internet, who doesn't know my bike, after spending all that cash having a custom one made.

first of all the bike should not have had the tre turned on to get a custom map for it. basically if you have a pc3 you can throw away the tre. second, your custom map is and isnt the problem. my guess is that the bike is running off the ecu till the bucking stops. they made you a custom map but noone usually maps 1000-2000 rpm range. the bike idles at 1150-1250 rpm. i would call them and ask what range they map the bike. they should fix you problem for free since they mapped your bike and it isnt totally right. i payed $250 for my map and you payed over $700, maybe my guys should bump up there price a lil. gl

could it be a problem with idle being to low? If its below 1000 i will cause some issues at lower rpms... Like crew illogic said... it needs to be within 1150 - 1250 rpms.

Does the bike surge at idle also or just when you are riding it? Cold or warm make a difference?
My bike was surging at idle and at low RPMs also. I have the PC3usb and a TRE but it did it with them and without them. After NUMEROUS days in the shop, did I say NUMEROUS!! Lots of stupid ideas and thoughts and around and around we went. Telling me to come and pick up the bike its "fixed", twice. First time they told me bad plugs, second time they told me TPS and bad plugs. Never even thinking why the plugs would go bad?? SO I had to get Suzuki rep involved after the bike sat there for 5 days untouched and I had an appointment to bring it in also. Turns out it was my stock computer. They swapped that and the bike runs perfect now. I have no idea if this relates to your bike or not but you never know. Good luck my friend!!

When my idle fell to about 900, I'd notice while sitting at a light that the idle would spike from time to time. After adjustment to 1150 rpm (+/- 100 rpm) per manual, no spiking at idle. Mine's stock, however.

Back