Sub surround repair

Zoinks!

Registered
So I've got an infinity RS10 home theatre sub and the surround has come off of the cone and is making a buzzing noise every time it hits. Is there any kind of adheasive I can get locally that would be ok to use on it?

So I've got an infinity RS10 home theatre sub and the surround has come off of the cone and is making a buzzing noise every time it hits. Is there any kind of adheasive I can get locally that would be ok to use on it?
That needs to be professionally re-coned. The cone is a single piece, it really shouldn't be glued, but you can certainly try.

If anything, I would find some synthetic thin cloth, maybe even some fiberglass and use an epoxy to seal around the edges of the tear. Locktite makes a handy two part epoxy in a syringe. Don't put epoxy all over, just enough of seal the edges, you don't want to have it too stiff. It will likely never sound as good until you have it re-coned. It shouldn't be very expensive.

I've been searching some more online and have found some re-foam kits that come with new surrounds, glue, and everything else I'd need. Thanks though!

Hope it works out for you. Never heard of gluing them back together, but let us know how it works out.

done a few of those refoam kits as i work in a car stereo shop here in kansas just take your time follow directions and all will be good

Had a set of 15's in my truck back in the day that the foam had gotten old and started crumbling. Put some clear silacone all the way around them to seal them back up. Won't the prettiest things, but I pushed them for another 6 years and then got rid of them. Think the guy had them for a few more after that. Not really the right thing to do, but it worked.

done a few of those refoam kits as i work in a car stereo shop here in kansas just take your time follow directions and all will be good

Thanks for the reasurance! I was kind of wondering if I should do it or not, but I figured for $20, what can it hurt? If it works, I've got a speaker that works for $20, if it doesn't work, I've spent $20. . . Big deal. The speaker sounds like crap right now anyway, so I can't really screw it up any more. Just have to make sure it's all centered and everything, but I found some good walkthroughs online, and the kit comes with instructions. I'll post some pictures and stuff when I'm done.

your going to think this is crazy , but try your ladies clear nail polish w/ a piece of that silk nail wrap on the in side of the sub

Back