Subwoofer surround repair completed!

Zoinks!

Registered
I posted several days ago asking about repairing the surround on my infinity home audio subwoofer. I found a re-foam kit on ebay and some of the guys wanted me to update when it was completed. . . So here I am!

Overall, it was a pretty easy job. The kit came with 2 new foam surrounds, very detailed instructions, glue, and a cd with a 30 Hz sine wave recorded on it for re-alignment.

Removed the sub from the box, pulled off the trim piece, scraped off all the old foam from the speaker frame and cone. I used a gasket scraper to get the majority of it off, then used the wire brush on the metal frame and VERY CAREFULLY used the utility knife on the cone to get the rest off. Put a thin bead of adhesive around the cone and the inside lip of the foam, let that sit for about 2-3 minutes to tack up a little. Got it all lined up and pressed it down. Kept goin around it for about 2 minutes till the glue was tacky enough to hold it down. Went back about every 5 minutes just to press it again and make sure there weren't any air bubbles and make sure the glue was still holding good. After doin that about 4 or 5 times I let it sit for 4 hours to dry completely. After that, I plugged it in, put the cd in my player, and hooked up the sub. Played the cd at a VERY low volume (only enough to move the cone about 1/8 of an inch) to make sure everything was aligned propperly. Applied the glue to the metal rim of the basket and pressed the outer lip of the surround down. Kept the cd playing to make sure everything stayed aligned (if it doesn't you get a scraping noise and you can adjust the surround till it plays clearly) then, as before, just kept pressing it down and came back every 5 min. or so. I used a hair dryer on low to speed up the tacking process both times. Worked great! Once the adhesive dried I played the test tone again to make sure it played smoothly and quietly (it did!) then installed it back in the box and put a bead of adhesive around the inside lip just to make sure it has a good seal and give it a little more support. The last picture was taken right after I applied the glue, so it still looks white. It dries clear, though.

This was an excelent kit, worked extremely well, and the test tone cd was a nice thing to have because it ensured that the speaker was being moved in a straight line. Other kits I've seen just tell you to push the speaker up and down with your hand, but when doing that, it's easy to not push it straight and that'll mess you up later. This was a very good and easy kit to use and with shipping it only cost me $23. That's a lot better than the 300-500 that a new speaker would have cost.

IMG00103.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

IMG00109.jpg

IMG00108.jpg

IMG00112.jpg

IMG00115.jpg

IMG00113.jpg

Sorry for the low quality pics. They were taken with my BlackBerry cause I can't find the USB cable for my camera.

Back