Had to completely rebuild the Vega's

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I try to share side projects I do so that folks can save a little money here and there. A few years ago a had to recone my Cerwin Vega D9's and a few months ago I started getting a scratchy noise on one of them. I ordered a whole rebuild kit and tore the whole woofer down and it was a good adventure and I can tell you that I will be looking for blown speakers on Craigslist or Ebay so that I can rebuild them. It cost me about 80.00 to get the kit with the glues and everything needed and it took about 4 hours of actual work removing the drying time etc.

These are the best computer speakers ever :) 15" Subs

Started pulling the foam ring and cone, this is hard to make yourself do after being so careful with these speakers for so long.

20180321_165926.jpg

Keep clearing out all the material from the ring and cut away the spider.

20180321_170025.jpg

The voice coil isn't very thick.

media (1).jpg

Cleaned all the way down to the magnet and frame.

media (2).jpg

As clean as I can get the aluminum housing from the inside out

media.jpg

Gluing the spider back into place

TRK_3636.JPG

There is a clear tube that goes inside the spider so that the voice coil is centered when you drop it in place and it keep the coil from moving before you glue it to the cone

TRK_3640.JPG

Slid the cone over the voice coil.

TRK_3641.JPG

Getting ready to solder the lead wires to the voice coil, you can see the glue I used to make a good seal with the cone.

TRK_3643.JPG

The coil is glued and now I've glued the foam down to the aluminum frame.

TRK_3646.JPG

Another look at the lead wires before I solder to the terminals

TRK_3648.JPG

Close up of the foam edges glued down

TRK_3653.JPG

All done withe the covers on the foam.

TRK_3660.JPG

Mounted back into the cabinet...

TRK_3662.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! I've always just blown speakers, toss 'em, get new ones.......guess I never considered a rebuild on 'em.

I need to stop being so lazy :p:beerchug:

Back