Stuck throttle, why it happened, please read

Mrs Grumpy is healing, out of work till next Tuesday. Road rash is good, the deeper tissue wounds have a ways to go. The knee is a mess. The cast will have to be changed we think, the swelling went down and its too big...

My calf and knee are raw nerves still and cannot be left unwrapped, havent had a shower since last sunday and am sick of sponge baths. My cheek looks better but is also very raw but nowhere near as bad as the other. Ive got serious pain in the knee but thats to be expected and the dislocated shoulder is healing, I can get my arm horizontal now before it gives out. I am back to work full time days but been taking it easy on the night job. No full doubles yet, just too long on my feet.

You did a great job of putting that bike down and preventing further injury or worse and you'd better not be beating yourself up over it. Over the years I've had the throttle stick or brakes fail on cars, dune buggys, dirt bikes, drag sleds, and recently an 80+ mph bass boat on a too small lake, but I can't imagine having it happen on a modded busa with a spouse on the back. I know all too well the panic that initially goes through your mind at such a time and how you react, then look back at what you coulda, woulda, shoulda done different. That's not how it works. You had less than a second to make a decision that meant the difference between life and death, and you're both still alive-you made the right decision! Most people have never considered how to react if the throttle sticks and many would totally freeze in such a situation with tragic results. And the first thought is not gonna be "pull in the clutch", especially with the bike pulling hard and front tire coming up-just not a normal reaction. And unless you use the kill switch alot and have mentally prepared for such a situation, that's not a normal first reaction either-and not easy to do when the bike's pulling like hell and you're trying your hardest to twist the throttle back. You had NO time to think and your first reaction was to prevent hurting someone else.........I think you did a great job. My hats off to ya, bro. I don't ride with many people but I don't think I'd have a problem riding with you. :beerchug:

Thanks for sharing! Seriously. So important to me mindful of even the smallest details.

Glad you guy's are on the mend .. albiet slowly....
Glad you found the Cause though... and sharing with us.. Take care !!

Good to hear you guys are ok. That sucks such a cheap piece of zip tie destroyed your bike. thanks for share'n the warning. Hope you guys are up ride'n again soon

Glad you guys are ok, That is a very worthwhile post, I trim mine even if nothing is close, just because it looks better even under a cover.

Thanks for the warning. Nothing like that "locked in WFO" feeling. I noticed that the boot clamps on the Strom could be aligned to interfere with throttle linkage during TBS. Worst getoff I ever had was stuck throttle on YZ400 two stroke 'crosser (frayed cable). What can go wrong will go wrong.

Thanks for the warning. Nothing like that "locked in WFO" feeling. I noticed that the boot clamps on the Strom could be aligned to interfere with throttle linkage during TBS. Worst getoff I ever had was stuck throttle on YZ400 two stroke 'crosser (frayed cable). What can go wrong will go wrong.

Oh yeah, had just bought a brand new '78 YZ 400 E back in the day and had jetted down a size and went for a test ride and guess what I discovered, when you get herbally distracted and don't tighten the top of a mikuni roundslide, you're in for a world of hurt when the slide comes out of the carb. And the damn kill switch wasn't detented-ya had to hold it down till the motor stopped. Not happening. :banghead:

Wow. Dont worry man everyone makes mistakes we pay for. I just thank God you guys are okay though after that accident... Alot better than it could have been. Live and learn brother, bikes are replaceable but you guys arent

Glad you found the problem, Hope yall heel quickly and everything gets better as soon as possible, Prayers sent your way.

When i found it last Friday night, i couldn't believe what had happened. I was shocked to find the tail of the wire tie, had caused all this mess.
I called Dave when i found out what had happened, and still couldn't believe what i was looking at!
As others have said, it could have been worse, as well maybe others will learn from this mistake!

It's the little things that are always causing something big. I will be more mindfull in what I do on my rebuild over the winter. Glad the hurt wasnt worse, There are 2 kind of riders ;Those that have fallen and those that will, Take care

Thank you for posting this. Ive got zip ties and wires running very similiar to yours. Ill be check them before i ride again.
:bowdown:

Thanks for the post Dave. I installed an air horn under the tank and a fuse panel in the tail not too long ago. I used zip ties to hold all the wires for both in place. I'll be going back over it before my next ride to make sure I clipped all of them. I think I did, but after seeing this "I think" isn't good enough for me. And I never would have thought that would ever happen either. Just glad y'all are alive and the culprit was found.

truely a lesson for everyone. thanks for shareing as we all can benifit from it. heal up both of you!!

Back